• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sims 5 not coming as EA says customers would have to "start over". Multiplayer Sims 4 expansion coming.

DryvBy

Instead, “The Sims 4,” now a 10-year-old title and the longest-running installment in the franchise’s 25-year history, will continue to receive updates and paid expansions, most notably a multiplayer mode and partnering with some “Sims” players who develop their own custom content for the game to sell it through the EA store as “Creator Kits.”

EA’s vice president and general manager of “The Sims” franchise Kate Gorman told Variety the main reason behind this decision to not publish a 5th edition of the game was the concern players (there are more than 80 million worldwide, per EA) would have to start all over again after a decade’s worth of gameplay in the existing “Sims 4.”

mitch1971

Gold Member
EA resting on their laurels.

whyman

That is crazy, and stupid. Expected nothing less from EA but wow... Anyway, great news for Paralives and Inzoi!

Oh ok.. they updated the story and the story was false and nothing new...

Last edited:

Comandr

The real problem is the core sims 4 engine is starting to buckle under the weight of its own bloat.

There are still simulation bugs that cause your frame rate to nosedive no matter what setup you’re using. The “fix” is to toggle in and out of build mode or hit escape to bring up the menu and close out of it. And then sometimes your FPS goes back to normal. This bug has been around for years and still hasn’t been fixed. I don’t even know if they can.

There’s another bug that causes issues in your game if you have too many expansions/game packs.

Let that sink in. The more you’ve paid to play this game, the more issues you’re going to have because the engine can’t handle all of the crap that’s been bolted on.

10 years is a long time in the tech world. The sims NEEDS to be rebuilt from the ground up with modern considerations; vulkan, dlss, etc. EA never had a problem reselling us magic and pets and vampires and horses several times for the last 25 years. I don’t see why they have changed their mind now.

"main reason behind this decision to not publish a 5th edition of the game was the concern players would have to start all over again"

So, when are they going to tell the FIFA and Madden teams of this concept?

Rambone

The real problem is the core sims 4 engine is starting to buckle under the weight of its own bloat.

There are still simulation bugs that cause your frame rate to nosedive no matter what setup you’re using. The “fix” is to toggle in and out of build mode or hit escape to bring up the menu and close out of it. And then sometimes your FPS goes back to normal. This bug has been around for years and still hasn’t been fixed. I don’t even know if they can.

There’s another bug that causes issues in your game if you have too many expansions/game packs.

Let that sink in. The more you’ve paid to play this game, the more issues you’re going to have because the engine can’t handle all of the crap that’s been bolted on.

10 years is a long time in the tech world. The sims NEEDS to be rebuilt from the ground up with modern considerations; vulkan, dlss, etc. EA never had a problem reselling us magic and pets and vampires and horses several times for the last 25 years. I don’t see why they have changed their mind now.
Completely agree.

Comandr

InZOI is going to kill them anyhow.

images
Good.

InZOI is pretty rough around the edges right now, if the character creator demo and hands on previews were anything to go by. The game seems to be able to bring just about any graphics card to its knees. I was getting 20fps with my 3090 at ultra settings with dlss @ 4k. And that’s before I learned the ultra preset isn’t the highest setting. You can manually push each option one level higher.

It lacks some polish right now, but honestly? I hope InZOI deals a devastating blow to The Sim’s stranglehold on the genre. I know I’m looking forward to the game.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
they are really giving up the chance to make people buy all the same shit over again?

i don't play the sims but if they are sticking with 4 and releasing updates to improve it then i think that's actually quite cool. doesn't fuck over the current players and if you join then you know you're not going to have to buy "Sims 5" and expansions with all the features you can already get in 4.

Mephisto40

Haven't they already shown information and concepts of the new sims project they are working on?

Edit : It looks like they've back peddled massively for some reason

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

This is such a spreadsheet chicken shit bean counter move. Sims 4 is made for fucking 1st gen iPads, not modern computers. I highly doubt it is adding any new players anymore. This is all about milking the existing player base without having to spend much money, but it is a stupid ass long term move as the existing player base will only ever shrink over time at this point.

Top Bottom