• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Siren: Blood Curse -- Play-Asia's JP Blu-Ray English-Friendly?

Neiteio

So I downloaded the Siren demo on PSN and I love it, and now I want to get the whole game, only I want it in disk form. At Play-Asia, they have just that. It even says that it has full English-language support, which a fellow GAFer reaffirmed in another thread. However, I've heard conflicting reports as to the amount of English on this version, and I just want more people who have the Blu-ray version to clear this up.

So here's what I want to know: Is the JP Blu-ray version of Siren: Blood Curse (PS3) in full, 100 percent English? As in, it has:

• English voice acting
  • English subtitles
  • English menus
  • English documents (the story bits you uncover throughout the game)

In other words, is it all in English? And I suppose I should ask about the packaging as well. What language is that in?

Also, when it says "Shipping at US$ 3.90," it literally means only $3.90 will be tacked onto the listed price of $39.90 + tax, right? And is the picture of the cover you see at Play-Asia lighter colored than the real deal? It looks whitewashed, the red being lighter than I'd expect, as though it's a bad photograph.

Please let me know. :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, English EVERYTHING! ;)

Except the title is New Translation instead of Blood Curse.

Neiteio

Rez>You said:
Yes, English EVERYTHING! ;)

Except the title is New Translation instead of Blood Curse.
Your avatar makes me happy. And I didn't even know who the hell the Mighty Boosh were until the other day. :lol

But back to the subject at hand: I like the "New Translation" subtitle. But I need at least a dozen more (hopefully detailed) confirmations of the JP Blu-ray's 100% English-ness.

Achtius

Neiteio said:
So I downloaded the Siren demo on PSN and I love it, and now I want to get the whole game, only I want it in disk form. At Play-Asia, they have just that. It even says that it has full English-language support, which a fellow GAFer reaffirmed in another thread. However, I've heard conflicting reports as to the amount of English on this version, and I just want more people who have the Blu-ray version to clear this up.

So here's what I want to know: Is the JP Blu-ray version of Siren: Blood Curse (PS3) in full, 100 percent English? As in, it has:

• English voice acting
  • English subtitles
  • English menus
  • English documents (the story bits you uncover throughout the game)

In other words, is it all in English? And I suppose I should ask about the packaging as well. What language is that in?

Also, when it says "Shipping at US$ 3.90," it literally means only $3.90 will be tacked onto the listed price of $39.90 + tax, right? And is the picture of the cover you see at Play-Asia lighter colored than the real deal? It looks whitewashed, the red being lighter than I'd expect, as though it's a bad photograph.

Please let me know. :)

Might cost more if you get custom'd

Neiteio

Wait a tic, what's this European version? Anything different between the US version and that? Would that be a better choice than the Asian version?

Can somebody link to the European version?

Majmun

I own both the European disc version and the NA PSN version.

Both games are the same except the Pal version has different languages. And the game retains its Blood Curse name.

* English voice acting
* English subtitles
* English menus
* English documents (the story bits you uncover throughout the game)

All present in the PAL version. If you chose English, of course...

Neiteio

So where can I find the English-language European Blu-ray version online? Is there any good, reliable site that has it in stock?

Btw, Second, your input was especially helpful. You must be a big Siren fan to have both versions, I take it? (If the demo's any indication, I wouldn't blame you!)

Majmun

Neiteio said:
So where can I find the English-language European Blu-ray version online? Is there any good, reliable site that has it in stock?

Btw, Second, your input was especially helpful. You must be a big Siren fan to have both versions, I take it? (If the demo's any indication, I wouldn't blame you!)

I've got the NA version through a PSN share trade. But I loved the game so much I've bought the disc version when I saw it in stores here. Have to support such a great game.

Yeah, I'm a big horror-survival game fan. SIREN is one of the best.

But I can't help you with a reliable site. Sorry. Good luck.

By the way: There's only one PAL version of the game. The disc contains all the languages in it. You just have to choose English in the beginning.

Neiteio

Second said:
I've got the NA version through a PSN share trade. But I loved the game so much I've bought the disc version when I saw it in stores here. Have to support such a great game.

Yeah, I'm a big horror-survival game fan. SIREN is one of the best.

But I can't help you with a reliable site. Sorry. Good luck.

By the way: There's only one PAL version of the game. The disc contains all the languages in it. You just have to choose English in the beginning.
Whoa, wait a tic, it just struck me: my US system couldn't play a PAL game, right? Aren't they incompatible?

And for that matter, would the Asian version be compatible with my US system?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Neiteio said:
Whoa, wait a tic, it just struck me: my US system couldn't play a PAL game, right? Aren't they incompatible?

And for that matter, would the Asian version be compatible with my US system?
All PS3 games are region free. :D

Neiteio

Rez>You said:
All PS3 games are region free. :D
Oh, cool. Sorry, lifelong Nintendo gamer.

Must. Find. Euro version.
Or else I'll go Asian

I dearly want to play this infamous little-unarmed-kid-in-dark-place-swarming-with-monsters level.

Majmun

Neiteio said:
Oh, cool. Sorry, lifelong Nintendo gamer.

Must. Find. Euro version.
Or else I'll go Asian

I dearly want to play this infamous little-unarmed-kid-in-dark-place-swarming-with-monsters level.

You will shit so many bricks that you'll be able to build a f-king skyscraper. :p

I wished I never played the game so I could experience it all over again anew.

I hope there'll be a SIREN 2 for Ps3. I'd be all over that. Siren 2 for Ps2 is awesome too.

Neiteio

aphasias said:
looks like cd-wow has it:
http://www.cdwow.us/SIREN-BLOOD-CURSE/product/view/3785421

never ordered a game from them, but i have always found them to be reliable for the dozens of cds i have ordered from them.
if you sign up for an account at this link, they should send you a coupon for $1 or $2 (i don't remember how much):
https://www.cdwow.us/account/expressSignup
I am THIS close -- *pinches fingers* -- to ordering the Euro version here. But can anyone link me to a review of the European blu-ray? I've done some searching on Google but I can't find any. It probably doesn't help that I'm not familiar with any European sites that would've reviewed it in the first place...

I just need to read affirmation that the Euro Blu-ray is exactly like the U.S. PSN download. Then I think I should be good to go.

Neiteio

Okay, I went and bought it at CDWow -- only $32 overall with transit insurance, as shipping is free and there are no taxes.

A question, though. What country would it be coming from if it has the following boxart:

2336813.jpgp

Anyone knooooooooow?

EDIT: If pic doesn't show, it's HERE.

Kazenone

Neiteio said:
Okay, I went and bought it at CDWow -- only $32 overall with transit insurance, as shipping is free and there are no taxes.

A question, though. What country would it be coming from if it has the following boxart:

2336813.jpgp

Anyone knooooooooow?

That's the Australian PAL version. Also, the PAL BRD version and DD version are the same, with one minor difference that the BRD version has a bonus documentary on disc.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Neiteio said:

2336813.jpgp

Anyone knooooooooow?

That's the European version (which will work on your PS3 with no issues), so it originates from there. I'm not sure as to whether or not that store has them in stock or whether they have to order them over, though.

Neiteio

Rez says European, Kaze says Australian. Judging from the pic at the link, which would it be, and would it have the making-of doc?

Kazenone

Neiteio said:
Is the one I'm getting the one with the making-of doc?

Yes. Siren Blood Curse on disc is the PAL version w/ bonus doc. Siren New Translation on disc is the Asian ver. with no extra content.

Neiteio said:
Rez says European, Kaze says Australian. Judging from the pic at the link, which would it be, and would it have the making-of doc?

They're the same, it's just you've specifically linked an Australian copy (Different rating) of the European version.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Neiteio said:
When I said European, I meant PAL.

The Aussie and Euro versions are all but identical, they're both PAL. ;)

Neiteio

Oh, okay. So there's only one PAL version, that both Australia and Europe get, and both have the making-of doc. The only difference would be the ESRB rating-style icon on the front cover, correct?

EDIT: Ah, I see. Thanks Rez, Kaze. I can't wait to shit a skyscraper of crap, which I anticipate I will given how much the demo alone scared me!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Neiteio said:
Oh, okay. So there's only one PAL version, that both Australia and Europe get, and both have the making-of doc. The only difference would be the ESRB rating-style icon on the front cover, correct?
Correctamundo.

Neiteio

Thank you thank you thank you. As I said in the edit above (and I just wanted to say it again so you will see the appreciation), I'm thankful for all the help. I've been obsessed thinking about the horror genre lately and I want to add some street cred to my interest with more experience playing horror games.

I was floored by the Siren demo -- the monsters crying bubbling pitch are beautiful, the sodden woodlands and blood-red sky are beautiful, it's all so beautiful -- and I can't wait to play it all alone at three in the morning. :D

Hopefully it won't take long to get here. CDWow is in California, I'm in Michigan, and I have no idea whether they have it in stock or if they'll need to import. We'll see.

Kazenone

frAntic_Frog said:
is it true the NA PSN version of siren is actually a bit censored compared to the Asia/Euro versions of the game?

Yes, it had a few minor changes compared to the Asian/European DD/Disc releases (which were identical). Apparently, the changes were:
-Less blood in certain scenes
-A suicide reference removed
-A stabbing scene altered

Kazenone

Goldrusher said:
Most of those scenes are so vague and dark, you're not missing out on much.

I agree. The altered scenes are not terribly noticeable nor do they upset the story, anyone passing up the NA version simply because of this should re-consider.

Neiteio

Wait, the North American version is LESS violent/bloody than the PAL/Asian versions?

As an American, mind blown.

RedBoot

As long as we're discussing the intricacies of the disc-based Siren versions, I also had a question: I remember reading somewhere (probably here) that the disc versions still require the game to be installed onto your PS3. One of the main reasons I would want the disc game over the downloadable one is to save that hard drive space, but if none of them just run off the disc, then I guess that can't happen. Is it true that you have to install it with the disc version as well?

Kazenone

RedBoot said:
As long as we're discussing the intricacies of the disc-based Siren versions, I also had a question: I remember reading somewhere (probably here) that the disc versions still require the game to be installed onto your PS3. One of the main reasons I would want the disc game over the downloadable one is to save that hard drive space, but if none of them just run off the disc, then I guess that can't happen. Is it true that you have to install it with the disc version as well?

From what I remember, no install required. I'd like someone else to confirm this however.

RedBoot said:

It takes up 5 gigs, unlike the PSN version 9 gigs. Install is mandatory,

Neiteio

So getting the disk you save four gigs of space. I also like the disc versions because should Sony ever say "No, your license to the digital Siren doesn't work on PS4," the disc version would likely still work.

RedBoot

5 gigs is better than 9 gigs, I suppose. I'll grab it off of Play-Asia sometime soon.

I guess I was half-hoping Sony would release it on disc here in the US, but I doubt that's going to happen. I can be so lazy when it comes to importing.

AppleBlade

This is one of the most under-rated games of this gen. I remember back when I was posting on Gamespot System Wars there was one of the usual "PS3 has no games" threads, I mentioned Siren as a quality exclusive and most of the posters did not know what I was talking about. Some thought I was talking about the PS2 game. When a couple of them found out it was a PS3 PSN game they started talking about how it's a PSN game so it doesn't count, mistakenly assuming that is was a simple and short game, not realizing that Siren actually is a retail game in other regions and definitely has enough content and graphics to be one in this country.

I guarantee you that if the Xbox 360 had gotten a Survival Horror game as good and meaty as Siren, it was have been talked about extensively on all the podcast and everybody would know about the game.

AppleBlade

For the people that are apprehensive about the install-size, I would like to encourage you guys to upgrade your hard-drive. I just upgraded to a 500GB hard-drive, it was easy and it's awesome now that I don't have to worry about space. I used to have a 40 GB and with my huge collection and all my downloadable games I was always tight on space (had to resort to Nintendo's cleaning the fridge strategy).

Now I have my 14 PSN games downloaded on my hard-drive (and they are the big ones like Burnout Paradise, Siren, Wipeout HD, Tekken: Dark Resurrection, Warhawk, etc.) as well as all my game data for the 20+ games in my collection. I also have like over 60 episodes of TV shows saved on my hard-drive (1st complete season of 24 and 3rd and 4th seasons of MASH). I still 100's of gig's available after all that. It's awesome.

Goldrusher

Yeah, it really is a great game. By the creator of the original Silent Hill.

Crazy stories, lots of locations, the strangest enemies and a few dozen weapons to kill said enemies. From rusty pipes to bear traps to fire arms.

Graphically textures could be better in places, but everything else more than makes up for it. The animations, the frame rate, the filters, the noise (visual noise), etc.

27x3wqa.jpg

312ist0.jpg

amcck3.jpg

And then there's the sounds and the music.

Neiteio

The game looks utterly amazing in motion. Everyone who has a PS3 should download the free demo. There are scenes that are simply masterful in their execution.

One that comes to mind is at the very beginning of the demo, when Sam wakes up in the woods and the camera pans out for a wide shot of tumultous red clouds in a pitch-black sky. That, coupled with Sam's flashlight being the only other source of illumination and all of the shifting shadows and pitter-pattering rain, makes for a dreadful start. You feel cold, you feel alone, you feel hell-yeah-I'm-probably-gonna-die-but-let's-see-if-we-can-make-it-out-alive.

*waits impatiently for CDWow to ship his order*

Slappy967

Neo Member
Would love to know if you ever got your version of Siren from CDWOW as I am thinking about putting in an order for one. How was the shipping and more importantly how is the bonus documentary?

Top Bottom