• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Six Flags Magic Mountain's 'Colossus' catches fire, peak collapses (no injuries)

Status
Not open for further replies.
s1s5pw8.gif

The wooden coaster ceased operating in mid-August after 36 years. It was set to be replaced by a hybrid ride called “Twisted Colossus.”

The popular ride dropped 100 feet and reached speeds of up to 60 mph.

Contractors had been working on disassembly of the ride, when the “top of the lift hill” caught fire, the amusement park stated on Twitter.

The blaze was put out, the park stated at 2:12 p.m.

“There are no injuries and the fire is contained,” Six Flags stated. “Colossus is currently undergoing a transformation and has been closed since August 17.”

Full article - http://ktla.com/2014/09/08/firefigh...e-at-magic-mountains-colossus-roller-coaster/

You may recognize it from such tv and movies as:

RZt8fHM.jpg

4OB0Elc.jpg

B.K.

It's too bad they closed it and that they're going to ruin it. I went on it a couple times when I was at Magic Mountain years ago. Wood rollercoasters are the best.

It's too bad they closed it and that they're going to ruin it. I went on it a couple times when I was at Magic Mountain years ago. Wood rollercoasters are the best.
No kidding. The Twisted Colossus monstrosity looked terrible. There are enough looping coasters at that park. It needed an old school style wooden coaster.

So it just happened on its own?

Six flags...idk anymore. I've been there twice and after hearing all these reports of rollercoaster safety I don't think I want to go back.

Six flags...idk anymore. I've been there twice and after hearing all these reports of rollercoaster safety I don't think I want to go back.

They were working on it when it caught fire. Likely something power tool related, if they were removing the old track or such, sparks....

terrisus

What issues of rollercoaster safety were at issue when the ride was closed and being worked on?

rude

Banned
It's honestly SUCH a shitty ride. After the lame drop, the thing just spins around a few more times. Terminator and Tatsu are my favorites there.

Branduil

It's honestly SUCH a shitty ride. After the lame drop, the thing just spins around a few more times. Terminator and Tatsu are my favorites there.

But it's WOODEN and it tries to break your spine, that makes it a good ride.

studyguy

The colossus was already slated for removal iirc.
No one has been riding the thing for a while. It was okay anyway.
Six Flags Magic Mountain is home to some of the worst whiplash coasters around.

The Viper is a menace and should be shut down.

DonDraper

Banned
I was gonna surmise some cholo losing grip of his joint on the ride, but since I read it was shut down, well, my theory is useless.

rude

Banned

I had to wait 35 minutes for Viper after someone threw up on it. They had to spray it down with a hose and run it with nobody inside like 20 times.

Viper is the only whiplash one left, Psyclone's been gone a while and Terminator (or whatever it's called now) is really great

studyguy

Viper is the only whiplash one left, Psyclone's been gone a while and Terminator (or whatever it's called now) is really great

Oh good, it's been a good minute since I bothered going back. Last time I went X opened up. Anyway Viper isn't even fucking fun. It's just a minute of slamming your head left and right. Fuck that noise, I hate that ride with a passion. Even that first loop coaster they have, Greased Lightning or whatever isn't as bad as Viper and its old as hell.

MG310

If it's the same thing as the now gone Viper at Six Flags Great Adventure in NJ then I agree. Beat the shit out of you without delivering even one bit of enjoyment.

EDIT - Oops, the Magic Mountain Viper was the same thing as the Great American Scream Machine in the NJ Park - I actually enjoyed that ride despite the beating.

This is the NJ ride that they called the Viper - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdF8v8H7V5M

Oh good, it's been a good minute since I bothered going back. Last time I went X opened up. Anyway Viper isn't even fucking fun. It's just a minute of slamming your head left and right.
Yeah I never ride Viper anymore, it's terrible. There have been some good rides that have opened up, and the park is much cleaner and safer nowadays too

studyguy

Speaking of Wooden Coasters, anyone hit up Knotts Berry Farm recently? Ghost Rider was the only wooden coaster I ever had fun on.
How is it these days? As bad as Great America? I hear that place is a fucking wasteland ever since Paramount sold the park.

see5harp

Speaking of Wooden Coasters, anyone hit up Knotts Berry Farm recently? Ghost Rider was the only wooden coaster I ever had fun on.
How is it these days? As bad as Great America? I hear that place is a fucking wasteland ever since Paramount sold the park.

I've been to both parks recently. The Ghost Rider is probably the most violent wooden coaster I've ever been on and honestly, once was enough. Great America in santa clara actually has a new wooden coaster and it's pretty decent.

studyguy

I've been to both parks recently. The Ghost Rider is probably the most violent wooden coaster I've ever been on and honestly, once was enough. Great America in santa clara actually has a new wooden coaster and it's pretty decent.

Ghost Rider is crazy though, you're floating like half the time you're on it.

Chris R

They shut it down? It was one of my favorite rides in the park the times I went. Basically zero line and nice janky feel.

Ghost Rider is a weird wooden coaster in which the back is better (which is usual), but that anywhere else on the train actually sort of hurts when you ride it. Fantastic ride though

see5harp

Ghost Rider is a weird wooden coaster in which the back is better (which is usual), but that anywhere else on the train actually sort of hurts when you ride it. Fantastic ride though

Yea, it was much better than I expected. It was almost space mountain with how fast the tiny drops and turns came. My body just couldn't take it more than once.

Well that explains why I had such a miserable time on it. I was near the front and it was extremely painful...I sort of went limp at one point and just waited for it to end.

If it's the same thing as the now gone Viper at Six Flags Great Adventure in NJ then I agree. Beat the shit out of you without delivering even one bit of enjoyment.

EDIT - Oops, the Magic Mountain Viper was the same thing as the Great American Scream Machine in the NJ Park - I actually enjoyed that ride despite the beating.

This is the NJ ride that they called the Viper - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdF8v8H7V5M

Oh man, I remember this thing.

You guys think Viper is bad? El Toro -> Green Lantern is a two punch combo that'll make you feel like you're an eighty year old woman with arthritis

Green Lantern at Great Adventure btw is literally the worst designed roller coaster I've ever had the misfortune to ride. If you're tall, Don't Fucking Ride This

Banworthy

Banned
Oh man, I remember this thing.

You guys think Viper is bad? El Toro -> Green Lantern is a two punch combo that'll make you feel like you're an eighty year old woman with arthritis

Green Lantern at Great Adventure btw is literally the worst designed roller coaster I've ever had the misfortune to ride. If you're tall, Don't Fucking Ride This

The stand-up coaster?

Mantis in Cedar Point is much worse. In fact, I'd say that Riddle's Revenge is also.

Then again, the whole concept of standing up in a roller coaster was doomed to begin with.

The stand-up coaster?

Mantis in Cedar Point is much worse. In fact, I'd say that Riddle's Revenge is also.

Then again, the whole concept of standing up in a roller coaster was doomed to begin with.

Never been to Cedar Point or Magic Mountain but I've been thinking about hitting up Cedar Point next year since I live pretty close to it now.

well christ, Adventure's Green Lantern looks like babby shit compared to those and that ride crushed my knees like tinfoil. donotwant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom