• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how does Katamari achieve that kind of scale?

It blows my mind... how can you go from picking up boots, to picking up skyscrapers? Is it a trick? Is everything actually being rendered in full when you start a stage? Is it being loaded on the fly, GTA style? I mean, I know that large objects get simpler and simpler as they get bigger and bigger, but I stil can't believe it.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
you know when you reach a height milestone and the screen flashes white with the angelic SFX? I would assume that's when it redraws.

RuGalz

At each milestone some object types are removed while some are added. It's not like they just keep adding things without removing things.

When you play 2P, there is a distinct brief loading when one of the players reach a certain size and the playfield expands. I'd guess it's something like that. When the King pops out to speak you can't skip him immediately.

Still, it's mighty impressive anyway.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I remember when I wanted to go back to the city and I could not find it.. I had acidentally "picked up" the city!

Top Bottom