• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So now that it has been confirmed that Master Chief was the hero of Marathon

Mrbob

First of all, I always thought it was obvious. But I didn't know for sure until the beans were spilt in XBN. Who knows, it could have been someone else in a green suit. :p

Anyway, now that we know it is true, I want to play Marathon again. It has been so damn long, and unfortunately I don't have the discs anymore. So what I was thinking is with the arrival Xbox Arcade, what do you think are the chances of MS/Bungie offering the Marathon trilogy? I hope they do, as I want to play the games again. In fact, I never did play Marathon Infinity so I'd love to give that a crack....!

I want to remember all the backstory now as it is confirmed that the Halo and Marathon worlds are linked together. I always thought so, but now I know for sure!

Mrbob

The Faceless Master said:
spoiler in the thread title? way to go!

Uh, what exactly am I spoiling here? These are old MAC games.

It's not like you are gonna play them any time soon unless MS/Bungie offers them.

Christ, relax.

Mrbob

JackFrost2012 said:
Well, you know, you're also spoiling the plot of a game called Halo 2.

How so? Marathon is practcally backstory to Halo. In fact, it isn't know exactly how they are linked (
my guess is with the AI
)

Mrbob said:
Uh, what exactly am I spoiling here? These are old MAC games.

It's not like you are gonna play them any time soon unless MS/Bungie offers them.

Christ, relax.
Halo 2 dude, the game that isn't even out yet!?

Tellaerin

The Faceless Master said:
spoiler in the thread title? way to go!

Hardly a spoiler, since it's nothing that'll ever be directly revealed in the Halo series. It's just an interesting bit of trivia for folks who have played the Marathon games.

Mrbob said:
I want to remember all the backstory now as it is confirmed that the Halo and Marathon worlds are linked together. I always thought so, but now I know for sure!

For the time being, you might want to visit http://marathon.bungie.org/story/ to refresh your memory. ;)

Vark

god, thats like saying that 'the ref in Mike Tyson's Punch out was Mario'!

is a spoiler for Mario 128.

Its a damn easter egg, good lord people.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Where is this stated?

Master Chief's life from childhood to Halo itself is documented in the novels. Novels in which the plot was dictated by Bungie itself. Nowhere in there did the events of the 3 marathon games take place.

JackFrost2012 said:
Well, you know, if Master Chief was the hero of Marathon, that also means that the hero of Marathon is Master Chief; consequently, the worlds of Marathon and Halo are definitively linked, and the story of Halo 2 is now changed accordingly.
they're acting like it's rocket surgery or something else that doesn't make sense...

Mrbob

Anyway, I'm sorry if a spoiled something for anyone. But it isn't like they are gonna point an arrow over Master Chief's head and with yellow text write, "OMFG IT'S TEH D00D FROM MARATHON!" in yellow text while in the middle of a cut scene.

Mrbob

Schafer said:
Where is this stated?

Master Chief's life from childhood to Halo itself is documented in the novels. Novels in which the plot was dictated by Bungie itself. Nowhere in there did the events of the 3 marathon games take place.

TO PROTECT THOSE WHO ARE AFRAID TO KNOW:

There is an article about the original Halo in XBN. Alex Seropian confirms it.

Mrbob

So if anyone from Xbox nation is listening, offer up the Marathon series on Xbox Live! Arcade KTHX! :D

Mrbob

JackFrost2012 said:
No, but now when the plot of Halo 2 ties the Halo universe into the Marathon multiverse directly, it won't be much of a surprise, will it. :p

The point isn't that Master Chief = Marathon hero, the point is that BY CONFIRMING THIS Bungie has also confirmed that the two universes are directly linked and indirectly foreshadowed major segments of Halo 2's plot.

So I'd really rather not have known.

Sorry dude, you are overreacting. For all we know the only link between Marathon and Halo is the Master Chief. Besides, I guarantee if you played through Halo 2 you never would have guessed it was linked to Marathon unless Bungie came out and said so. This is a cool easter egg, nothing more.

Mrbob

You could have speculated, like everyone else has with Halo. But you never would have known for sure until it was confirmed by Bungie. This has been hinted at for a long time, even with the release of Halo. If you were as big of a fan as you claim you would have already kind of figured it out by the first time you saw the Master Chief character design from Halo.

Mrbob

Wario64 said:
omg why did I read the spoiler, now Halo 2 is ruined for me

mario-6.gif

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Oh for fucks sake. They all but explicitly state that "TO HIM" Master Cheif and the protaganist of THAT game, are one and the same, but they also all but explicitly state, that it's an inspiration and nothing more.

I seriously doubt that the universe of Halo and THAT game will ever be linked. If anything, the way that article made it seem, is that Halo was basically the end love child of their two previous major series (Myth and that OTHER series) which makes sense considering that originally Halo was a third-person sci-fi action-adventure type game.

BAH READ THE ARTICLE.

You're faffing over nothing.

If anything I'm disappointed that they're NOT related.

Mrbob

BAH READ THE ARTICLE.

I seriously doubt that the universe of Halo and THAT game will ever be linked.

If anything I'm disappointed that they're NOT related

That's what I'm saying. I think the link is only the Master Chief character. Well, there could be some obscure things about the AI though. Who knows, though. But knowing that MC is in both games means just that: He is in both games. That is the only tie. Anything above and beyond is pure speculation and we won't know for sure until we play through Halo 2.

Tellaerin

BreakyBoy said:
Oh for fucks sake. They all but explicitly state that "TO HIM" Master Cheif and the protaganist of THAT game, are one and the same, but they also all but explicitly state, that it's an inspiration and nothing more.

I seriously doubt that the universe of Halo and THAT game will ever be linked. If anything, the way that article made it seem, is that Halo was basically the end love child of their two previous major series (Myth and that OTHER series) which makes sense considering that originally Halo was a third-person sci-fi action-adventure type game.

BAH READ THE ARTICLE.

What's with 'THAT game' and 'that OTHER series'? Does your religion (or a deep-rooted fear of people using the search function) prevent you from typing the word 'Marathon'? :p

Mrbob

I thought it was kind of funny. :D Marathon shall now be referred too as THAT game from now on.

So am I the only one who wants Marathon trilogy re-released through Xbox Live! Arcade?!

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Because everyone seems to get into some sort of uproar over the use of the word MARATHON. ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

:p

Fantastic games, by the way, and they certainly should be rereleased in some form, anywhere.

Gribbix

I don't know. Considering how secretive Bungie has been, I don't see them releasing such a major piece of news if it really did play a big part in Halo 2's story.

Fantastic games, by the way, and they certainly should be rereleased in some form, anywhere.

Yes, they should bring back the Bungie Mac Action Sack or some similar compilation (preferably with support for PCs, but it's unlikely that they'd bother porting a 10 year old mac game). On a related note, I was just browsing through ebay and the Marathon Trilogy is going for $61.

Gribbix said:
I don't know. Considering how secretive Bungie has been, I don't see them releasing such a major piece of news if it really did play a big part in Halo 2's story.

Well, the news is not "Master Chief is the hero of Marathon."

The news is, "Alex Seropian thinks that Master Chief is the hero of Marathon."

Good for him. Moving on.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
BreakyBoy said:

BAH READ THE ARTICLE.

i believe this news

element

all bungie games take place in the same universe yet different timelines.

Many things in Oni give hints to things to follow in Marathon, and Marathon holds many ties to Halo. And Myth even has ties to all of them.

ManaByte

Gold Member
element said:

Many things in Oni give hints to things to follow in Marathon, and Marathon holds many ties to Halo. And Myth even has ties to all of them.

Yup! You can see the Marathon logo all over Oni and Halo.

THAT IS NOT OFFICIAL HALO CANON! MARATHON IS NOT REFERENCED IN THE OFFICIAL HALO NOVELS THAT ARE OFFICIALLY APPROVED BY OFFICIALS AT BUNGIE! STOP RUINING OUR LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrbob

JackFrost2012 said:
Well, the news is not "Master Chief is the hero of Marathon."

The news is, "Alex Seropian thinks that Master Chief is the hero of Marathon."

Good for him. Moving on.

Well, maybe you should read the quotes before jumping to a conclusion. :p Just pick up XBN and read the article. It actually talks about the origins of Halo and not of Halo 2. That is where the info is posted. But it's ok. I really posted the title as an attention grabber hoping someone at MS would read this and think, "Hmmmm, maybe offering Marathon through Xbox Live! Arcade is a good idea!". If they haven't thought of it already. :)

THAT IS NOT OFFICIAL HALO CANON! MARATHON IS NOT REFERENCED IN THE OFFICIAL HALO NOVELS THAT ARE OFFICIALLY APPROVED BY OFFICIALS AT BUNGIE! STOP RUINING OUR LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol :lol

Interesting. I didn't know Myth had ties too. Oh well, I didn't play it too much. I thought about bringing up Oni too but I didn't want to get skewered any more. :p

Mrbob said:
Just pick up XBN and read the article.

That's kind of difficult. Very few newsstands in Japan carry XBN. :p

I'll just remember in the future that you often lie for dramatic effect while expecting other readers to fact check you independently! :)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
afaik there was a reference to the ship marathon in 1 of the halo books. i was like "omg oh wowzer!" when i saw it

Top Bottom