• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So now that it has been confirmed that Master Chief was the hero of Marathon

teepo

who here has honestly played marathon back when it was released and if you did, what the fuck were you doing with a mac?

Shompola

Banned
I played it. I didn't have MAC but my friend did have one. Funny thing is that even people from the pc "scene" respected the game back then. It was a masterpiece like how DOOM was. Both were great games back then. If you don't like it today well doh it hasn't aged very well.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I hope they make a marathon remake with the more refined story telling of Halo.

That would be oh so cool

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Sai said:
I thought you were cool, Che.

You're not cool, Che.

Why aren't you cool, Che? :(

i dunno. i'm just a huge dork.

but anyway, my friend ran a desktop publishing business so he was loaded with macs back in the early '90s. back then, i played pc games more than snes or genesis (although i did a fair bit of that too). of course, one of the games i played for like a year straight was doom, online and offline, with all these new maps and such (and remember all the doom clones that were released subsequently... rise of the triad, etc).

anyway, on his high end PowerPC mac at the time, marathon ran like shit in a pretty small window. sure, the game allowed you to look and shoot up and down, but it lacked atmosphere for me. it was the first time i realized that macs were starting to fall behind in games (before that, i was hyped on dark castle for the mac with its digitized sounds and stuff).

i never did try the marathon sequels (was there really a marathon 3?) ... years later, i enjoyed myth and myth II. and then a friend of mine worked at bungie for a year or two during the Oni project when they were in san jose. he fuckin' hated it and quit.

kind of weird how bungie has been "in my life" for the past 10 years.

let me just add that this friend later went on to be one of the lead designers for enter the matrix... and then demonstone. :)

Mrbob

Sai said:
I thought you were cool, Che.

You're not cool, Che.

Why aren't you cool, Che? :(

He's a casual FPS fan, that is why. He can't handle the intricacies of hardcore FPS gaming. :p

i never did try the marathon sequels (was there really a marathon 3?) ... years later, i enjoyed myth and myth II. and then a friend of mine worked at bungie for a year or two during the Oni project when they were in san jose. he fuckin' hated it and quit.

This isn't the first time I've heard this. Why was the Oni team so disgruntled?

Gribbix

Mrbob said:
This isn't the first time I've heard this. Why was the Oni team so disgruntled?

This is just guess work on my part, but I think they might have had a difference of opinion with Bungie (in Chicago) over how they wanted to make the game. Even though Bungie.com only mentions the differences the two had over Konoko's design, it wouldn't suprise me if there was more to it than that.

If they do a remake of the Marathon trilogy on Arcade they should also do remake of Minotaur which would go with the online thing a bit better as well as Pathways into Darkness... it mixed FPS and RPGs before genre mixing was the marketing thing to do! :)

*owns each individual Marathon as well as the Bungie Mac Action Sack*

Sai

Hmm... Just checked EB Games, and caught this screenshot:

pt_BOARDING.jpg

Looks like Single Player Campaign. That's a new one, right?

chespace

Sai said:
Hmm... Just checked EB Games, and caught this screenshot:

pt_BOARDING.jpg

Looks like Single Player Campaign. That's a new one, right?

no, that's multiplayer. it's basically someone jacking a ghost. it even looks a bit like zanzibar in the background.

Sai

I don't think that's Zanzibar, man. And the color of that MJOLNIR Armor is never seen in multiplayer screenshots.

"who here has honestly played marathon back when it was released and if you did, what the fuck were you doing with a mac?"

I was. And back then, Mac's 0wn3d PC's fair and square.

chespace

Sai said:
I don't think that's Zanzibar, man. And the color of that MJOLNIR Armor is never seen in multiplayer screenshots.

yo, it is a multiplayer screen.

me: hey frank, is that a multiplayer screen?

frank: Yeah - it's from the back of the box. it's MP

me: is that zanzibar?

frank: Isn't EVERYTHING?

there you have it, kids.

Top Bottom