• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So "Touch Screen" is like the new "connectivity" right?

sasimirobot

point me to the redundant thread and lock it mods. I am only saying that online is a "fart in the wind" compared to the impact that touch-screen games will be in this coming handheld battle.

Razoric

Banned
sasimirobot said:
point me to the redundant thread and lock it mods. I am only saying that online is a "fart in the wind" compared to the impact that touch-screen games will be in this coming handheld battle.

Hahahahahahahah

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Here are the good ideas for connectivity:

Zelda: Four Swords
Pac-Man Vs.

Here are the quite good ideas:

Final Fantasy: CC

And that's about it. Not only was it hard (or expensive) to get the equipment together to do it, they then could hardly think of any good ideas and all of the decent ones were mulitplayer.

The touchscreen on the other hand doesn't require extras, can be used well for both single player and multiplayer purposes, and we've already seen multiple good ideas.

akascream

Banned
Naw, connectivity wasn't that great. Some games like Zelda actually used it, while games like FF:CC had no need for it except money from fundQ.

The DS touchscreen, however, is already challenging developers to put some neat mechanics into thier games. And not just some games, like connectivity, but almost, if not every DS game will have some kind of touchscreen functionality.

sasimirobot

Mama Smurf said:
Here are the good ideas for connectivity:

Not only was it hard (or expensive) to get the equipment together to do it, they then could hardly think of any good ideas and all of the decent ones were mulitplayer.

The touchscreen on the other hand doesn't require extras, can be used well for both single player and multiplayer purposes, and we've already seen multiple good ideas.

Online is so cheap and easy. Of course everyone in the world has reliable ADSL...

Docpan

No. Because touch screen = fun, whereas connectivity = dumbass feature tagged on to most 3rd party games just to please Nintendo.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
sasimirobot said:
Online is so cheap and easy. Of course everyone in the world has reliable ADSL...

...well you quoted me, so you must be replying to something in my post.

No, no I just can't see it. Why are you talking about online again?

I'm really interested in the multiplayer aspects Nintendo brings with the DS. The fact that its both wireless and capable of Multing with only one cartridge makes it incredibly versatile. I think it may be one of the best designs for multiplayer games. Previous methods either required for you to split the tv screen (into halfs or quarters) or to play over a wired network. But with this you get the best of both worlds, a dedicated screen all to yourself plus the ability to multi with the people (friends) around you..and all capable with just one cart.

sasimirobot

Scalemail Ted said:
I'm really interested in the multiplayer aspects Nintendo brings with the DS. The fact that its both wireless and capable of Multing with only one cartridge makes it incredibly versatile. I think it may be one of the best designs for multiplayer games. Previous methods either required for you to split the tv screen (into halfs or quarters) or to play over a wired network. But with this you get the best of both worlds, a dedicated screen all to yourself plus the ability to multi with the people (friends) around you..and all capable with just one cart.

shhhhhh. remember playing tekken 3.5 in 3-D (for 2 hours) will change the world!

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
sasimirobot said:

I think you're forgetting that broadband has numerous applications outside of purely playing video games.

And to make this post relevant, I thought the touch-screen was retarded until it was pointed out in another thread that it would be great for porting a lot of PC genres to consoles that don't play well on traditional consoles (like RTS and adventure games). I think it's not going to drastically change how we play standard games (like platformers) but it could allow for some real innovative designs. So in other words, touch screen >>>> connectivity.

mj1108 said:

Give some examples of things people have bashed about Nintendo and then praised when Sony has done it. Alot of people like to say this but never give any examples of it actually happening.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
SolidSnakex said:
Give some examples of things people have bashed about Nintendo and then praised when Sony has done it. Alot of people like to say this but never give any examples of it actually happening.

rumble has got to be one.

Sriram

In another thread today someone was saying they would would buy psp over ds because they thought sony would do some cool things with connectivity.

callous

While the concept makes for some cool-sounding ideas, I worry that the actual use of touch screen will suffer from problems with precision. I get frustrated just thinking about having to deal with an interface that is "innovative" but ultimately not as practical as standard controls. I hope DS developers prove me wrong.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
sasimirobot said:
This is the new "cool" thing to hate on now right?
If it's the cool thing to hate on, it also seems to be the cool thing to overhype...
I am only saying that online is a "fart in the wind" compared to the impact that touch-screen games will be in this coming handheld battle.
Maybe the two trends are related somehow...

Tapwave Zodiac also credits it touchscreen for the stellar success it has in the handheld gaming market thus far...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
SolidSnakex said:

proprietary media (PS3=blueray, PSP=UMD)
releasing network connectivity without any real use for it (DC vs. PS2)
releasing a console without a pack-in game

umm.. that's all off the top of my head.

Exactly how does a touch screen make gaming any more fun than that with a joypad/stick/analog nub?

Some of us have been using "touch screens" for well-nigh five years now.

borghe

Drinky Crow said:
Exactly how does a touch screen make gaming any more fun than that with a joypad/stick/analog nub?

the same way a mouse does.

try pointing and clicking with an analog stick or d-pad.

try using a mouse with a handheld.

And exactly how many games has the use of a mouse sold you? Never you mind that a mouse is a far more precise instrument for gaming interfaces than a touch screen.

Miburou

borghe said:
proprietary media (PS3=blueray, PSP=UMD)

Bluray isn't proprietary. The PSP is a handheld, and all hand helds have proprietary media due to their size.

releasing network connectivity without any real use for it (DC vs. PS2)

I don't see "Nintendo in that sentence".

releasing a console without a pack-in game

What?

Drinky Crow said:

Only because the *BEST* game EVER created is 'MegaTouch Maxx'; found at your local pub. Its obvious Nintendo just wanted to cash in on their success ...but there's no touching 'MegaTouch Maxx'. Don't hate.

borghe

Drinky Crow said:
And exactly how many games has the use of a mouse sold you?

umm.. pretty much every PC game since I started playing them 13 years ago.

Never you mind that a mouse is a far more precise instrument for gaming interfaces than a touch screen.

you have obviously never used a modern touch screen.

callous

Drinky Crow said:
And exactly how many games has the use of a mouse sold you? Never you mind that a mouse is a far more precise instrument for gaming interfaces than a touch screen.

Aha! But you forget the stylus. Now you're playing with precision!

Nah, I don't buy it either.

I have a Tablet PC at work and a Toshiba i740 PPC. I've developed mobile applications for the PPC. I'm quite certain I know quite a bit more about a touch screen than any DS fanboy in this thread.

Hournda

The thing I don't get about touch screen is how do you use the touch screen and the joypad at the same time? You would have to use either one or the other at a time, right?

borghe

Miburou said:
Bluray isn't proprietary. The PSP is a handheld, and all hand helds have proprietary media due to their size.
cart roms aren't really proprietary media. the first truly proprietary media was DC followed by GCN. Both were criticized for not being able to handle DVDs.

[quoteI don't see "Nintendo in that sentence".[/quote]
I didn't realize we were talking about Nintendo specifically. I believe the exact question was what other things have been done that were criticized that were then done by sony and praised.

Previously when consoles would become cheaper and leave out the pack in game it was criticized. SNES, etc. Heck, even the Saturn at $400 had a pack in game. But when Sony did it, they were PRAISED for keeping there system under $300.

borghe

Drinky Crow said:
I have a Tablet PC at work and a Toshiba i740 PPC. I've developed mobile applications for the PPC. I'm quite certain I know quite a bit more about a touch screen than any DS fanboy in this thread.

Well good. Then you already know you are talking through your ass about a mouse being more precise.

Hournda said:
The thing I don't get about touch screen is how do you use the touch screen and the joypad at the same time? You would have to use either one or the other at a time, right?

You must use your nose.

A mouse cursor operates entirely in a 2D plane. A finger/stylus has a 3D space to confuse the retina, as well as the fact that the pointing device obscures the point of contact. Throw in the pressure sensitivity of the screen, and you have a recipe for extremely reduced accuracy.

Ask someone to click a four-pixel box with a mouse, and they'll be able to do it with 90%+ accuracy. With a stylus? Try 30%. I've seen this situation in countless focus groups.

You can try again, and I'll punk you again.

SantaC

Drinky Crow said:

Not when it comes to programs like photoshop, illustrator and freehand. Using a stylus is the way to go then.

borghe

Drinky Crow said:
A mouse cursor operates entirely in a 2D plane. A finger/stylus has a 3D space to confuse the retina, as well as the fact that the pointing device obscures the point of contact.

Ask someone to click a four-pixel box with a mouse, and they'll be able to do it with 90%+ accuracy. With a stylus? Try 30%. I've seen this situation in countless focus groups.

You can try again, and I'll punk you again.

unless of course you are talking about moving without cursor travel. I guarantee I can click a location on my 17" tablet before you could move a mouse there.

but tell you what, the first game that comes along that requires me to navigate around a 4 pixel box I'll call you winner. until then I'll just use common sense and say that in the average game (ie PPC style game or such) a stylus will be just as accurate as a mouse would be FOR THAT GAME.

oh, I see you moved away from the d-pad/analog control topic. smart move.

Miburou

The GC was criticized for having small-capacity media compared to the competition, and for lacking DVD playback. This isn't really applicable in the PSP's case, since no handhelds play DVD or have similar sized (let alone bigger) media.

Anyway, I'm sure some Sony fanboys have criticized Nintendo, Sega or MS for something and then later praised Sony for doing the same thing, but it's not as wide spread (i.e. almost anyone who isn't a Nintendo fan) as some of the posts here would indicate.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
SantaCruZer said:
Not when it comes to programs like photoshop, illustrator and freehand. Using a stylus is the way to go then.
Using the stylus on a touch screen or using a stylus on a tablet to control the movements of a mouse onscreen?

In all seriousness though Drinky...

It shouldn't be viewed as controller vs. touchpad.

The advantage of a touchpad, as I see it, is that it allows for customizable controls to be displayed for any game made on the DS, in addition to the pre-set button layout already present on the unit. This allows for much more freedom on the developers part when it comes to designing how they want their game to control.

This in and of itself isn't necessarily "revolutionary" but it does allow for very different forms of play on the same unit...which certainly isn't a bad thing.

As far as trying to use the touchpad and the buttons at the same time....The only realistic way I would thik you could do it effectively is with a 'thumb stylus'

Top Bottom