• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOL: Exodus |OT| of "current gen Freespace"

Xander51

Damn this thread for getting my hopes up and then crushing them. I should just stop being an idiot and buy FS2.

It's only 6 bucks on GoG just do it.

Looking at the Steam listing for SOL again is...is the main character really just named "The Lieutenant Commander?"

I was worried about this after watching the trailer on Steam. It sounds like a guy just went nuts with some drums and BAM there's your music.

As for this feeling like an XBLA game, I believe it's slated to eventually appear there as well.

I guess it's the new MS because it's a 2.3GB install? Anyway I don't even think they went nuts with drums. It's very mild, tropical. Smells of BSG influence a mile away but just has none of the themes or tension of it.

And yeah the guy is just Lt. Commander so far. Like I said it doesn't really make much sense yet. Some ships, some person, some computer, the awkward space asians...it's a real dilemma because they do a few things right but other things seem pre-FS in execution

Glix

Wow, if nothing else, this thread has opened my eyes to the existence of Freespace Open. Looks awesome. Can anyone recommend a Total Conversion to try so I can check out the engine and stuff before I take the plunge?

AndyD

aka andydumi
I have Evochron and its a lot of fun. SOL seems more arcadey/XBLA/PSN style, while EM is more X3/Freelancer style.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Can't even try it. On first boot the UDK installer said a file was missing, but didn't specify anything more than that. Tried to run the game anyway, black screen with the sound of a video or whatever, and none of the usual keys doing anything. Tried to run the UDK installer again, this time it just says MSChart failed to install. I assume that's due to existing newer versions from other UDK games and irrelevant to the issue. Tried to run the game again, same deal. I let it run for a while, eventually I get this. Meh.
gfglm.jpg
Game finally launched when I tried it yesterday but then didn't seem to recognise controller input regardless of options. Meh.

Karak

Sooo...

Should I get SOL: Exodus or Evochron Mercenary? I have an itch for space flingin'

Evochron is amazing. Trully. The amount that has been put into that game by a small dev is really great. They are small packages, run well, look great and have good game guides online.

Also the MP is handled very well, it has good mod support, and your own music, textures and so forth just by dropping them into separated folders, and so on.

I like Precursors better, but that's just because it has actual land based combat and exploration. A bit janky but you take what you can get.

Top Bottom