• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some blurry Halo 2 multiplayer action

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Probably more like what it'll actually look like in game then.

Looking good anyway, not that I'm overly fond of the same areas being shown again. Maybe you have to be a really big Halo fan to appreciate details they reveal.

epmode

i like the smiley on the shoulder. looks a bit too clean, though. will we actually be able to draw/design the clan symbol ourselves, or will we have to deal with premade art (like in black arrow)?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
0ship.jpg

That's badass.

Sai

Mama Smurf said:
Probably more like what it'll actually look like in game then.

Looking good anyway, not that I'm overly fond of the same areas being shown again. Maybe you have to be a really big Halo fan to appreciate details they reveal.
Only two of these screenshots are shown in Zanzibar(the map shown at E32k4), and one of those two we've already seen. The rest are shown in brand new, never before seen areas.

Plus, we've finally gotten a look at the Covenant Beam Rifle, their answer to the human's Sniper Rifle. And the projectile of the Covenant Carbine, the Covie equivelant of the Battle Rifle.

Great screenshots.

Sai

I wonder if they really have axed that neat shader used for the Energy Sword in multiplayer. It looked really neat in the E32k3 single player demo(tail end of the demo, with the Spec Op Elites)...

Mama Smurf

Sai said:
Only two of these screenshots are shown in Zanzibar(the map shown at E32k4), and one of those two we've already seen. The rest are shown in brand new, never before seen areas.

Oh...how can you tell? The just look like other areas of levels we've seen before to me.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Mama Smurf said:
Oh...how can you tell? The just look like other areas of levels we've seen before to me.
Believe me, they are brand new maps. Check the name of the images if you do not believe me, you'll get part of the level name ;)

GhaleonEB

Is that a new gun in the third pic? The stock does not look like the SMG, but the battle rifle does not have the loop in the back. And look how far forward the fire effect is - it almost looks like, well, fire.

Sai

GhaleonEB said:
Is that a new gun in the third pic? The stock does not look like the SMG, but the battle rifle does not have the loop in the back. And look how far forward the fire effect is - it almost looks like, well, fire.
This one? It's the Covenant Carbine:

oxm-covenant_carbinerender-.jpg

That effect is probably just part of it's animation. What it looks like after it's fired in succession.

GhaleonEB said:

I think it's the Brute grenade launcher. Not sure though.

edit. Gah, wrong.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
teh bumpmapping balances out teh purple to make it mature...if GC had a gravelly texture on its sides...it'd be mature too.

GhaleonEB

Sai said:
This one? It's the Covenant Carbine:

oxm-covenant_carbinerender-.jpg

That effect is probably just part of it's animation. What it looks like after it's fired in succession.

Yeah, you're right. It threw me off that in the top pic the weapon effect is the plasma white, and in the one I pointed out it looks like a machinegun/human weapon. I wonder if it has a secondary fire mode?

What is the source of the screens?

Mama Smurf

I haven't been following the multiplayer very closely I admit (I don't have Live), have we seen a lot of different environments? From what i've seen, everything seems very close in colour sets and things.

I've probably just missed screens or forgotten them.

Sai

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, you're right. It threw me off that in the top pic the weapon effect is the plasma white, and in the one I pointed out it looks like a machinegun/human weapon. I wonder if it has a secondary fire mode?
Well, do you recall the beta impressions posted a lil' while back? It fires single shot, but if you hold down it acts very much like a machine gun... And it doesn't overheat! So yeah, I suppose it does.

Can't wait for Bungie to release the hi-res versions of these screenshots. There's probably ba bunch of minute details we're missing.

Sai

Mama Smurf said:
I haven't been following the multiplayer very closely I admit (I don't have Live), have we seen a lot of different environments? From what i've seen, everything seems very close in colour sets and things.

I've probably just missed screens or forgotten them.
You're just not lookin' all that hard. ;)

These two screenshots are from Ivory:
146_0001.jpg

146_0003.jpg

And this is Zanzibar, the one shown in the E32k4 multiplayer demo:
146_0005.jpg

Just keep in mind that Zanzibar is wartorn, torn the fuck up. :) While Ivory is set at the top level of a skyscraper.

This... Is from Mid-Ship:
146_0004.jpg

It's a Covenant Cruiser, man. I don't know how you confused that one. ;)

GhaleonEB

Looks like the Carbine has been redesigned a bit, with that ammo circle on the official render moved to the side and made larger in the screen.

Anyone know where these screens came from? Scans, where?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
no it do nt.

Bungie just always take screens from third person, Halo was the same, to show more action or something.

Mama Smurf

It's a Covenant Cruiser, man. I don't know how you confused that one.

Well I can hardly see any of the background. Does that have a more purply colour scheme then? I don't exactly know why, but a lack of variety in the look of environments in any game pisses me off no end.

Zanzinbar and Ivory just look similar to me. The colours seem very similar, palm trees...but if there are enough other levels with enough variation, that won't matter.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Ones on a beach, ones in a skyscraper and the other is in an alien space ship, how different do the enviroments need to be? As you say you can hardly see the backgrounds so it seems like a premature concern.

B E N K E

I signed a two page NDA for those screens (and a bunch more+other stuff). Someone will get their ass kicked if they can trace it. The thing is the press tour started in Sweden on monday so it's most likely from where these screens originates. If they didn't do another stop on tuesday that is. Oh and by the way... the originals are much, much bigger.

When NDAs are broken you just wished the asshole wrecking it for everyone else was caught. Old news and old screens aren't exactly what I would like to publish.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
B E N K E said:
I signed a two page NDA for those screens (and a bunch more+other stuff). Someone will get their ass kicked if they can trace it. The thing is the press tour started in Sweden on monday so it's most likely from where these screens originates. If they didn't do another stop on tuesday that is. Oh and by the way... the originals are much, much bigger.

When NDAs are broken you just wished the asshole wrecking it for everyone else was caught. Old news and old screens aren't exactly what I would like to publish.
Hmmm, I guess I'll have to remove them then.

Mama Smurf

Ghost said:
Ones on a beach, ones in a skyscraper and the other is in an alien space ship, how different do the enviroments need to be? As you say you can hardly see the backgrounds so it seems like a premature concern.

I'm not talking about the ship one.

Mario Sunshine had a level on a beach, in a theme park, on some sort of industrial site, and I couldn't say they had very similar architecture...but it still wasn't enough variety for me. It's the look of it.

It's probably just these screens doing it.

Top Bottom