• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone kidnapped a Rescue Mentor Dog from my neighborhood-and then left it for dead

Dalek

This is just awful news. This dog Murfee was rescued as a puppy-and has been working to train other German Shepherds to be socialized before they can be adopted. If you live in the Bay Area, this story has been on the local news this week.

Rescue Mentor Dog Stolen From Castro Valley Home

murfee_missing_rescue_dog_050217.jpg

CASTRO VALLEY (CBS SF) – Authorities are seeking help in finding a German Shepherd rescue mentor dog who was stolen from his owner's home in Castro Valley in unincorporated Alameda County on Sunday.

Murfee, a 3-year-old black and tan German Shepherd, was stolen from his yard near Palomares Road in Castro Valley between 3:30 p.m. and 5 p.m. on Sunday, authorities said.

Murfee weighs about 80 pounds and is tall and lean and was last seen wearing a lime green collar with ID tags, according to authorities. He is micro-chipped and neutered.

Authorities said Murfee has helped to mentor hundreds of rescued German Shepherd Dogs to help them learn proper social skills before they moved on to their homes.

Murfee helps teach rescued German Shepherds and Belgian Shepherds, many of whom are very under-socialized, how to get along nicely with other dogs and what proper dog-to-dog etiquette is, authorities said.

It's important that dogs learn those skills before moving into their new homes, dog experts said.

Authorities said Murfee's owner, JJ Jacobson, has worked with German Shepherd Rescue since 2002 and has taken in as many as 3,500 German Shepherds to be fostered and successfully placed in new homes.

Murfee was taken into police protective custody after he was being thrown against a wall during a domestic violence disturbance, authorities said.

Because Murfee was so young, animal control officials reached out to Jacobson to care for him while the case went through the court process.

A few months later, the suspect gave up all rights to the puppy, and Jacobson adopted Murfee.

Signs like this have been up everywhere:
18268492_115040679065467_3547171927022227001_n.jpg

Everyone in my neighborhood has been on the search for Murfee-and then this morning, the owner posted some horrible news: The owners apparently came out this morning and found the dog dead on their property. Which means someone took the dog for days, then after it died, they brought it back to the property and left it there. What kind of sick fucking people do this?

Apath

I am confused. The story said he was stolen but I don't see anything about him being left for dead? If he's still missing how would they know?

Reeks

I am confused. The story said he was stolen but I don't see anything about him being left for dead? If he's still missing how would they know?

last line

Everyone in my neighborhood has been on the search for Murfee-and then this morning, the owner posted some horrible news: The owners apparently came out this morning and found the dog dead on their property. Which means someone took the dog for days, then after it died, they brought it back to the property and left it there. What kind of sick fucking people do this?

Dalek

I just found out from their facebook that the owners went out to their car this morning and found the body of the dead dog. There hasn't be a news story about that yet.

smurfx

get some go again
that or somebody has something against the owners and killed the dog and left it on their house to fuck with them.

Reeks

that or somebody has something against the owners and killed the dog and left it on their house to fuck with them.

I watched a true crime doco about a woman who was being stalked by a man. Before kidnapping and torturing her, he did this very same thing. It's sickening.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I'm not one of these people who think acts of violence should necessarily result in tons of jail time, but if whomever did this got their asses stomped for a bit, I don't think I'd lose any sleep over it.

Hope they find the person and send him to jail for life. Fuck them, dogs are beautiful innocent creatures and anyone who mistreats them is not a human being as far as I am concerned.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I would reach out to the police about the domestic abuser who originally owned the dog and then agreed to let Jacobson keep it. If that person found out Jacobson's address, this could be an act of hatred, taking out spousal hostility on the former family puppy.

Haint

Owner probably got some enemies if he can offer 10k reward to find a dog, assuming its not crowd funded.

hobozero

is it possible that the dog got out on its own? Do they know it was stolen? Might have gotten out, wandered off, and found its way back after a few days.

Wondering about other details. Was it actually hurt, stabbed, killed? Maybe someone found the body of the dog and returned it (unlikely I know)

Kin5290

Jesus, that's horrible. What a beautiful dog.

From the title I'd thought that there was still hope and the dog was alive. "Left it for dead" means abandoned and clinging to life but still alive. Really bums me out.

Koomaster

That's fucking bullshit. Who steals a dog just to kill it? I hope they can somehow trace who is responsible for this. :( :( :(

It pisses me off more because German shepherds are categorized as an aggressive breed but are in that awkward/good position where they are making a better name for themselves. They are such intelligent, loyal and beautiful dogs. This one was doing so much good and some fucker does this

Dalek

Jesus, that's horrible. What a beautiful dog.

From the title I'd thought that there was still hope and the dog was alive. "Left it for dead" means abandoned and clinging to life but still alive. Really bums me out.

yeah I screwed up the wording.

RinsFury

Can't even comprehend how much of an evil fucking scumbag you would have to be to do this. I hope whoever did this is swiftly found.

Ashby

OP, the phrase "left for dead" implies something isn't actually dead, was just left in a precarious situation without support. I was pretty bummed out when I found out the dog had actually died :/

EDIT: Saw that this was already addressed up thread

Ashhong

Man..I thought they had found him alive with the "left for dead" in the title. This fucking sucks. Wish the owner had cameras on the property to catch the fuckers.

Leynos

Can't even comprehend how much of an evil fucking scumbag you would have to be to do this. I hope whoever did this is swiftly found.

Is there any evidence that there is foul play? Any tire marks, any physical damage to the corpse, etc.? It might simply be a case of a dog getting loose then getting injured on its own. I don't like getting worked up before we know what happened. Some of the properties in that area have very large yards, and rattle snakes are out this time of year.

Top Bottom