• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mega Collection gives me heartburn

snapty00

Banned
Ugh.

These games are so awesome, but why:

-Are the loadtimes so long? Every menu has to load up. Super Smash Bros. Melee, a launch game with far better presentation, loads quickly. I'm sick of seeing those damn stars! Also, when I finally pick a game, I have to wait a few seconds for it to load, since it writes a log to my memory card...it's so freaking unnecessary.

-Is the presentation so crappy? This is a collection of some of the best games ever created, by a company that was once one of the biggest forces in entertainment, and they give the series such a crappy presentation. In addition to the horrible load times, the menus themselves look so cheap. Sure, I suppose it's not something really to complain about, but I was expecting more from such a high-profile series.

-Do I have to unlock the games? Gah-damnit, I want to play that game with the star in it, but I don't feel like going in and out of those other games...partially, again, because of the load times.

The games themselves are fun, but damn -- the collection programming itself sucks ass.

snapty00

Banned
The sound is 99% the same to me...hell, I'm not sure there are even any differences, but I'm saying 99% to protect myself. :p

GhaleonEB

Alex Anderson said:
How's the sound emulation? It's not all garbled in some games like the Smash Pack for Dreamcast is it?

The sound rendered the games nearly unplayable - the butchering of Revenge of Shinobi was particularly unforgivable.

I agree. The menus are bland and unoriginal. Although the games are obviously more faithful to the original(they are emulated after all), I think Sonic Jam was a much better compilation. If Sega really wanted to play tribute to their games, they should have filled this disc to the brim with extras, unlockables and special features. A couple of commercials, the Sonic CD opening, and comic book scans. No thanks. Plus, the method used to unlock the hidden games is probably the most lame and tedious thing ever found in a video game. If they ever do another Sonic compilation, the following should be done:

1. Make sure you have all the games this time, please. I don't care if you had nothing to do with it, Naka. Just include Sonic CD. If ya can't include it all on one disc, make another! I'll pay more for it, I don't care. Its not a Sonic collection if it doesn't have all the Sonic games.
2. The Sonic Jam 3D world. This was basically the interface for the special features on the original compilation.
You could
a. go to a huge music test and listen to all the Sonic music(maybe you could throw in some remixes next time)
jam_8.jpg

b. view scanned manuals(from all regions!)
c. go to a 'movie theatre' and watch japanese commercials and other neat movies
jam_2.jpg

d. The Hall of Fame gallery. A timeline highlighting Sonic's history in a chronological fashion.
jam_11.jpg

e. Hidden 'codes' can be found throughout the 3D world. These are used in the various games.
f. A Character house. Here you can find profiles and conceptual artwork on each of the Sonic characters.
jam_7.jpg

g. Art gallery. Loads of Sonic-related artwork found here.

3. I thought the game select menu was more creative. Less games to choose from, obviously, but very nice still.
jam_0.jpg

4. Time-attack. You could challenge your high score and play your favorite levels over and over.

Sonic Mega Collection is just laziness. They really didn't include anything Jam didn't have other than perfect emulation(and the sound emulation isn't 100% either). Jam also added newer moves to the older games and added a difficulty-setting. The next time they make a collection, the following games should be included:

Main titles: Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic CD(inlude both American and Japanese tracks), Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles(Locked on with ALL the Sonics this time), Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, and Sonic Heroes

Unlockables: Mean Bean Machine, Flicky, Sonic Spinball, Knuckles Chaotix, the Game Gear Sonics, Sega Sonic Arcade, Sonic the Fighters, the Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic R, and Sonic Shuffle

and just for the sake of completion, throw in Burning Rangers, Nights and Christmas Nights, Chuchu Rocket, Samba de Amigo(both versions), and even a demo for the never-released Sonic X-Treme, and you've got yourself one hell of a compilation.

br.gif
You know you want it.

On another note, I'd like to see a Treasure collection, but that's a debate for another day.

Soul4ger

These games are so awesome, but why:

-Are the loadtimes so long? Every menu has to load up. Super Smash Bros. Melee, a launch game with far better presentation, loads quickly. I'm sick of seeing those damn stars! Also, when I finally pick a game, I have to wait a few seconds for it to load, since it writes a log to my memory card...it's so freaking unnecessary.

-Is the presentation so crappy? This is a collection of some of the best games ever created, by a company that was once one of the biggest forces in entertainment, and they give the series such a crappy presentation. In addition to the horrible load times, the menus themselves look so cheap. Sure, I suppose it's not something really to complain about, but I was expecting more from such a high-profile series.

-Do I have to unlock the games? Gah-damnit, I want to play that game with the star in it, but I don't feel like going in and out of those other games...partially, again, because of the load times.

sonic2.jpg

AniHawk

Main titles: Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic CD(inlude both American and Japanese tracks), Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles(Locked on with ALL the Sonics this time), Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, and Sonic Heroes

Unlockables: Mean Bean Machine, Flicky, Sonic Spinball, Knuckles Chaotix, the Game Gear Sonics, Sega Sonic Arcade, Sonic the Fighters, the Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic R, and Sonic Shuffle

and just for the sake of completion, throw in Burning Rangers, Nights and Christmas Nights, Chuchu Rocket, Samba de Amigo(both versions), and even a demo for the never-released Sonic X-Treme, and you've got yourself one hell of a compilation.

They couldn't do SA and SA2 in there without risking sales of SADX and SA2B (which are still selling really damn well).

Sonic Collection 2 SHOULD feature: Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic the Fighters, Segasonic the Hedgehog, Sonic R, Sonic Shuffle

I agree with ya on unlockables. I would love to see a completely remade version of NiGHTS (with a nice graphic overhaul and up the sound quality) featuring Christmas NiGHTS though (talking about a standalone game).

SonicMegaDrive said:
If they ever do another Sonic compilation, the following should be done:

1. Make sure you have all the games this time, please. I don't care if you had nothing to do with it, Naka. Just include Sonic CD. If ya can't include it all on one disc, make another! I'll pay more for it, I don't care. Its not a Sonic collection if it doesn't have all the Sonic games.

Are you saying Naka had anything to do with 3D Blast? It's sad when that game is included and not Sonic CD. Does he hate Sonic CD or something?

Actually, Naka and his team did have a pretty heavy involvement in the creation of Sonic R and Sonic 3D Blast, although Traveller's Tales did most of the main programming. But, no, that's not what I meant by that statement. :)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
people who kvetch about absurdly generous compilations of great games like megaman anniversary and sonic mega could do with some perspective.

and ristar more than makes up for sonic cd and chaotix. hell, ristar's arguably the best game on that disc.

the way you unlock games in mega collection really does sound stupid, though. i hope that'll be remedied in the ps2 version.

Top Bottom