• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: "DS is for kiddies!"

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
http://www.video-fenky.com/

I'm about to run out of bandwidth, so click on the site to see the actual pic
Here is Masatsuka Saeki, executive vice president of SCE, on TV Tokyo news program World Business Satellite. I don't have the exact quote from Saeki, but the caption that sums up his statements is at the bottom:

"The first purchasers of the PSP will be adults. For the Nintendo DS, it will be the kiddies."

Yes, he actually said "kiddies"! (Actually he said "okochama", which is a more familiar and brusque version of "okosama," a polite way of referring to someone's children.)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Maybe Sony are banking on the ever growing geriatric population of Japan to out number the kiddies in the inevitable sales battle?

DCharlie

Maybe Sony are banking on the ever growing geriatric population of Japan to out number the kiddies in the inevitable sales battle?

miyuru

What's his point?

Look past the "name-calling" people, and realise that, either way both will have big sales.

explodet

I'm sure the announcement of the PSP launch games will blow a lot of people away and spawn a HAT or two like the DS did today. And if they are still launching in December, they have enough time to finalize all their information and pull together a media blowout that's just as impressive.

But all this misinformation and lack of solid information about specs and price and such isn't helping.

Brofist

Hehe some people getting worked up over nothing. The core audience for the DS will be a young one no doubt...doesn't mean you can't play it if you're older then that.

Keio

For a Finer World
This reminds me of the comments of another handheld competitor regarding "not pulling a GBA out of your pocket on a friday night if you are over 12". It sets an ugly precedent.

kpop100 said:
Hehe some people getting worked up over nothing. The core audience for the DS will be a young one no doubt...doesn't mean you can't play it if you're older then that.
YES IT DOES

mashoutposse

Ante Up
I don't see what's so inaccurate about his statement. If you step back and truly evaluate the DS lineup, it's quite obvious, frankly.

Tritroid

Originally PSP wasn't supposed to even be competing with DS.

Now all of a sudden, Sony is trying to bring DS down with the over-used 'kiddie' ploy.

Perhaps Sony was a little taken aback by the recent conference? Nah.

DS audience:
Mr.%20Richoz%20and%20nerds.jpg

PSP audience:
pspaudience.jpg

OKOCHAMA!

That's not even "kiddies." That's like ... "wittle kiddieth."

Man gaming hasn't been this fun since SNES vs. Genesis on the Prodigy Games BBS!!!

Meier

JackFrost2012 said:
Man gaming hasn't been this fun since SNES vs. Genesis on the Prodigy Games BBS!!!

TCKP25F representin'.

Sony when the PSP fails to take off: "Please buy our system, okachama!"

DCharlie

"PSP, itz da spinnauhz fer ma handz"

Fucking hell, it's the Stains massive.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
tritroid said:
Originally PSP wasn't supposed to even be competing with DS.

Now all of a sudden, Sony is trying to bring DS down with the over-used 'kiddie' ploy.

Perhaps Sony was a little taken aback by the recent conference? Nah.

deadlifter said:
Sounds like someone's panties are in a bunch after they saw the gamer's summit.
I think this line of thinking is pretty accurate...

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
On the very same front page here at GAF we have two opposing threads... with two very different responses....

On this side we have the comments from Sony that the DS is for kiddies.... and so we have responses poo poohing Sony for making such comments.

On the other side we have comments from Nintendo slamming the PSP for a the 2 hour battery(which hasn't even been confirmed).... and we have responses that generally amount to yeah... Nintendo that's the way to do it, stick it to them!

<insert conclusion here>

Kon Tiki

Banned
DarienA said:
On the very same front page here at GAF we have two opposing threads... with two very different responses....

On this side we have the comments from Sony that the DS is for kiddies.... and so we have responses poo poohing Sony for making such comments.

On the other side we have comments from Nintendo slamming the PSP for a the 2 hour battery(which hasn't even been confirmed).... and we have responses that generally amount to yeah... Nintendo that's the way to do it, stick it to them!

<insert conclusion here>

It is all in the delivery.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
DarienA said:

<insert conclusion here>
Personally, I think the comments from both sides are good entertainment, but nothing more. Still, when you have a traditionally passive company like Nintendo (that just happens to have a die-hard fan base) getting aggressive, and a company like Sony, who many people associate with infallibility because of the console world, getting defensive enough to pull out the "kiddie" angle, it's a recipe for exactly the kind of reactions we're seeing here.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Why is it "defensive" to pull out the kiddie angle, which even Nintendo's 3rd party partners refer to, but "aggressive" when Reggie claims that the battery life of the PSP is 2 hrs without any proof? Both cases don't amount to much more than heckling, which sort of falls in the category of trying to do both at the same time. There's many better ways to being aggressive or defensive if that's what they really want to do.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
kaching said:
Why is it "defensive" to pull out the kiddie angle, which even Nintendo's 3rd party partners refer to, but "aggressive" when Reggie claims that the battery life of the PSP is 2 hrs without any proof? Both cases don't amount to much more than heckling, which sort of falls in the category of trying to do both at the same time. There's many better ways to being aggressive or defensive if that's what they really want to do.
I labelled them as such only because the DS seems to have a higher standing right now as far as public perception goes, especially since a) there's a big media blowout going on, and b) the PSP is still shadowy as far as some important details go, like definite battery life, concrete release date, price, etc.

Kon Tiki

Banned
kaching said:
when Reggie claims that the battery life of the PSP is 2 hrs without any proof?

That is a joke. When someone says 'Yo mama's so ugly when she passes by a bathroom the toilet flushes.' Do you really think that mother is that ugly? Of course not. The exaggeration is, to some people, funny.

Top Bottom