• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Memory Stick Price Drops

neptunes

In a press release today, Sony announced that they have reduced the prices of their Memory Stick medium; the PSP will use Memory Sticks to save games, music, and movies.

The Memory Stick Pro 512MB has been reduced to $180 USD, while the 256MB will be half that at $90 USD. The Memory Stick Duo line has also been reduced in price; the 512MB will be $250 and the 256MB will be $95. The other sizes are expected to be reduced as well.

The Duo line is a smaller version of the Memory Stick which will fit into the system. It is still unknown if regular size Memory Sticks will be usable with the PSP.

Source: Sony Press Release
Source: www.pspinsider.com

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Cool, which means off brands will be even cheaper

ManaByte

Gold Member
Anyone know what the 128 MB ones go for these days? I want to pick up a 2nd one before Comic Con this weekend.

AirBrian

DCharlie said:
PSP with memory stick included, please sony.
If Sony's other electronic devices are any indication, expect an 8 MB card. (Although for saving games, do you really need much more?)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I'd think they might stretch it to 32Mb to be honest.
It would make the Atrac playback pretty pointless on 8 meg.
At least with 32Mb you'd be able to dl a fair number of songs to at least try things out.

Actually, is anyone actually interested in using the PSP for music playback???
Personally, I want to save that battery for gaming.

Akira

I bought a Sandisk 512MB Memory Stick Pro for $130 shipped last night. I'll get a 1GB stick after the price drops. Good move, Sony.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Akira said:
I bought a Sandisk 512MB Memory Stick Pro for $130 shipped last night. I'll get a 1GB stick after the price drops. Good move, Sony.
Any chance that was from Buy.com? I just got an email from them today advertising 512 meg MS Pro for $118.

neptunes said:
nah, 8 seems as far as they'll go.

it'll get saves done for the user.
Right, but it doesn't entice the PSP owner to do much else. With a 32 meg stick, they'd be offering enough space for the PSP owner to try out music downloads, which might ultimately entice them to buy a stick with more storage. Maybe include a few songs on the stick pre-loaded. Or even throw a sample of MPEG4 video on there...

kaching said:
Any chance that was from Buy.com? I just got an email from them today advertising 512 meg MS Pro for $118.

Right, but it doesn't entice the PSP owner to do much else. With a 32 meg stick, they'd be offering enough space for the PSP owner to try out music downloads, which might ultimately entice them to buy a stick with more storage. Maybe include a few songs on the stick pre-loaded. Or even throw a sample of MPEG4 video on there...

Actually, if the PSP uses MS Pro or Duo, then I'm not sure 8mb chips are even in production. 32-64MB seems like a more realistic number.

apujanata

Crazymoogle said:
Actually, if the PSP uses MS Pro or Duo, then I'm not sure 8mb chips are even in production. 32-64MB seems like a more realistic number.

During launch of MS Duo in July 2002, the smallest one is 16MB. SanDisk currently have 32 MB as the smallest size MS Duo.

Can PSP use MS Pro ?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
PSP uses Memory Stick Pro Duo which is a standard on its own in the family of Memory Stick products.

The Pro Duo standard has the size of Duo Memory Stick modules and the Read/Write Speed capabilities of the Pro model, but for now it is capped in size at 512 MB.

Likely you will be able to use also Memory Stick Duo with MagicGate Technology, but you won't be able to play movies off it and record witha possible PSP USB Camera on to it as the Read/Write speed of the Duo model is low compared to the Pro Duo one.

512 MB for $119.84

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001F1ZY4/002-3298150-6974400?v=glance

256 MB for ~$62-64

http://www.bizrate.com/marketplace/product_info/overview/index__cat_id--465,prod_id--11489137.html

128 MB for $39.88 ( very close to what you pay for 8 MB PlayStation 2 Memory Cards )

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000TN0X0/002-3298150-6974400?v=glance

64 MB for $29.88

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3951357

jarrod

Banned
Slurpy said:
Still too fucking expensive.
Yep. At least SanDisk Memorysticks come in a little lower but they're still more expensive than most comparable Compact Flash or SD cards. :/

Tabris

No, I'm not interested in music playback, but like the PS2, it's nice to have the feature.

I mean really, how much did it cost them to add music playback? they already have all the hardware built in for the games they can use for music playback. So all they needed to add was a decoder (which is free cause it's their format) and some kind of gui to play the songs from.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"I mean really, how much did it cost them to add music playback? "
very little.

"how much does it cost us to actually use it?"

in a vaguely useful way - between 60-100$.

it's a nice addition, but it's becoming less like a free addition although that depends on what sony throw into the PSP package.

"( very close to what you pay for 8 MB PlayStation 2 Memory Cards )"

32$ here for a memory card. And i think this is more of an indication as to how much sony are taking the piss, rather than the value of the mem cards imo.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Hopefully, they allow at least one more round of price cuts on MS media before the PSP arrives in NA.

Also, from the press release:

Since its introduction in 1998, the Memory Stick format has continued to grow and anticipate broad uses of high-capacity, high-speed storage. Sony reports that as of 2003, the cumulative number of products featuring Memory Stick(TM) slots exceeded 50 million and continues to grow.
That could have been 120+ million devices featuring MemStick slots by now, if you had included a slot in the PS2, Sony. Hell of a missed opportunity.

What I don't understand is why SCE still hasn't capitalized on the use of MS with PS2 by at least selling a Playstation branded USB reader/writer for MS. Include drivers with it to update the PS2 browser like the HDD has so you can at least use the MS to archive game saves.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
jarrod said:
Yep. At least SanDisk Memorysticks come in a little lower but they're still more expensive than most comparable Compact Flash or SD cards. :/

They are worth it considering their size and Read/Write speed capabilities.

jarrod

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
They are worth it considering their size and Read/Write speed capabilities.
Debatable. Read/Write speed might be an issue for video but I don't see any size advantage in MS over the competition.

Top Bottom