• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony patents Embossed Bump-Mapping ?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
(11)Publication number : 2004-094971

(43)Date of publication of application : 25.03.2004
(51)Int.CI.

G06T 15/00

G06T 3/00

(21)Application number : 2003-361630 (71)Applicant : SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT INC
(22)Date of filing : 22.10.2003 (72)Inventor : NAKAMURA ITARU
(30)Priority
Priority number : 11258047
Priority date : 10.09.1999
Priority country : JP
(54) IMAGE PROCESSOR, RECORDING MEDIUM, AND PROGRAM
(57)Abstract:
PROBLEM TO BE SOLVED: To provide bump mapping processing which brings about the feeling of materials of a mirror having irregularities on the surface and has a high effect though being simple.
SOLUTION: A gray pattern image Ib different in density by positions is synthesized with an original texture image Ia being a color image by a first synthesizing means 108 to obtain a first synthesized texture image Ie. Next, the original texture image Ia is enlarged on the basis of the direction or the like of a normal vector being an attribute OPA of a polygon Op to obtain an enlarged original texture image If. The enlarged original texture image If and a negative-positive inverted gray pattern image Id are synthesized by a second synthesizing means 112 to obtain a second synthesized texture image Ig. Finally, the second synthesized texture image Ig and the first synthesized texture image Ie are synthesized to produce a third synthesized texture image Ih. The feeling of materials of a mirror having the irregularities on the surface (metallic surface) is represented by the third synthesized texture image Ih.

Found in this site: http://www.ipdl.jpo.go.jp/homepg_e.ipdl (Japan's Patents and Trademarks Office).

Compare to the description of Embossed Bump-Mapping in here:

http://www.pvrdev.com/pub/PC/doc/f/Bump Mapping Comparison.htm

I have to read more of the patent, but it is impossible that they filed in 2003 a patent on Embossed Bump-Mapping.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It seems that they are adding something new to it, I guess the mention of the "negative-positive inverted" image thingy kinda lead me to dismiss it as regular Embossed Bump-mapping.

Top Bottom