• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony patents PS3 logo.. big surprise inside!

u_neek

... well, not really...

ps3logo.bmp

u_neek

Nope..

From www.Gamefront.de - Sony lässt PS3 Bezeichnung schützen

03.08.04 - Sony hat am 20.07.04 in den USA die Bezeichung und den Schriftzug PS3 markenrechtlich beim Patentamt schützen lassen. Gleichzeitig wurde auch ein Entwurf des Logos veröffentlicht, der auf dem bekannten PS2-Logo basiert.

... meaning...

Sony has patented this logo...

GDGF

Soothsayer
I should quickly patent the PS4 and PS5 logos.

(which I will claim stand for poonstation 4 and 5, so as to avoid legal action ;))

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
crowndesignaward.gif

Wow, we can even see jaggies on the logo! Much thoughts went into representing their playstation family brand. HAR HAR

bogg

Buggy Loop said:
crowndesignaward.gif

Wow, we can even see jaggies on the logo! Much thoughts went into representing their playstation family brand. HAR HAR
Yeah it looks like someone drew that using mspaint in like 30 seconds. That can't be the final logo...

Did they have a 5 year old do it?? Methinks that that's not exactly the official logo submitted to the copyright office.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Midas: I'm thinking I remember a discussion about this quite awhile ago too. At least 6 months ago, maybe longer.

Midas

kaching, yeah. Must be something like that. I hope they make something new though. And keep the regular "PS" logo like with PS2.

Shiggy

It's fake, but I like it. :)

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Word Mark PS3
Goods and Services IC 009. US 02.........
Mark Drawing Code (5) WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS IN STYLIZED FORM
Serial Number 75873517
Filing Date December 17, 1999
Current Filing Basis 44E
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition April 27, 2004
Registration Number 2863923
Registration Date July 20, 2004
Owner (REGISTRANT) Kabushiki Kaisha Sony Computer Entertainment TA Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. CORPORATION JAPAN 1-1, Akasaka 7-chome Minato-ku Tokyo JAPAN 107-0052
Attorney of Record GEORGE W. LEWIS
Prior Registrations 1975267
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=tess&state=10m6c4.1.1 -> "Free Form Search (Advanced Search)" -> type "ps3" -> there are 3 docs look for 75873517.

So it's official but it's also very old

Greekboy

Banned
My old highschool teacher Mr. Pyke used to say:

"If it ain't broke....don't fix it".

I believe that saying is quite apropos for this topic.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
From a consumer standpoint I think it's very intelligent to keep the tradition going. The Playstation brand sells itself these days and the PS2 logo is synonymous with the console.

BUT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THEM COME UP WITH SOMETHING NEW FOR A CHANGE.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Lisa Lashes said:
My old highschool teacher Mr. Pyke used to say:

"If it ain't broke....don't fix it".

I believe that saying is quite apropos for this topic.
So true.

It may be boring to look at, but people know what they're buying when they see it: a sequel to the PS2, which is well on its way to becoming the most successful console in history (well, U.S. history anyhow, I'm not as sure with other regions). When you think of all the homes that the PS2 will eventually be in, it would be kind of silly for Sony not to make a very similiar PS3 logo.

Think NES and Super NES.

pcostabel

Gold Member
It's highly unlikely that they will use that logo. It's too similar to the PS2 one and could cause a lot of confusion, considering that PS2 and PS3 will coexists for at least 5 years.
They only registered it so that nobody else can use it. Normal business practice.

Gek54

It also could confuse consumers when trying trying to differentiate between PS2 and PS3. I imagine the color scheme will be different.

AniHawk

I think after PlayStation 3 or 4, Sony's gonna need to start giving it a subtitle. PlayStation Next, or Playstation: A New Hope.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
AniHawk said:
I think after PlayStation 3 or 4, Sony's gonna need to start giving it a subtitle. PlayStation Next, or Playstation: A New Hope.

The playstation strikes back, etc...

jcjimher

Some time ago I thought this was a logo specific to Playstation 2, because it has nothing to do with the rest of the corporate image of the Playstation brand.

However, since they built the PSP logo (at least the one they are showing now) around it, they must be thinking of keeping it for the PS3 as well. It would make no sense for the PSP not to have the same or a logo alike the one in the PS3 by the time it's released...

...or now that I think about it, maybe it would have sense to associate the PSP with the PS2 since they have around the same technical power, and then make a PS3-alike logo for the PSP2 or something like that...

Forgive me, I'm some kind of logo whore

Top Bottom