• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony files new patent for backwards compatibility

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Give me that sweet PS3 library with trophy support (for the games that were released before it became standard) 🙏🏻

Edit: Resistance, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Orange Box, Folklore to name a few.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Sony: most I can do is monthly subscription handpicked ps3 games shitty port

Shifty1897

As someone who does not believe the PS5 can emulate PS3 games at an acceptable level... What are the odds this is for something else? Nothing about PS3 in the patent.

StueyDuck

this is one of those. reads a thing but decides it's something else scenarios.

also. Patents be patents and nothing more, most of the time.

Still tryna order pizza through my PS and it never happens.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Rumours can be true then? :pie_thinking:

I guess when you have open source effort of RPCS3, these things can get you up to speed faster.

JCK75

Sounds like they are trying to give you the same emulation every other platform gives you already.. but they are actually trying to patent it which seems insane.

Badlucktroll

Gold Member
I bet Konami won’t let them emulate MGS 4, and will sell a shitty unoptimised port (not even part of any collection, just by its self) for $69.99

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I bet Mark Cerny figured out a different optimised method and they didn’t even acknowledge rpcs3 at all
Not sure if comedy, however why would you do that, if you have ton of code already written and available? I don't doubt that some inside knowledge makes it better, but still there is a crowd sourced effort going on for years and there is not a reason to not look into it.

Dr.D00p

All I see is Sony finding a reason to crackdown on PS3 emulation in the future.

Don't be Nintendo, Sony.

DonF

"Induce skew? We ment a news SKU"

New ps5 pro with backwards compat, 500 adorable GB of storage. $600

mitch1971

Gold Member
I don't know a single game where you must use them to complete the game. Non-issue
On the ps3, one of the resident evil games (if I remember) had a motorway section where the pressure buttons had to be used, otherwise you couldn't finish the level as the enemy got too far ahead and you failed the checkpoint. I had to switch to my ps3 controller to finish it, then back to my ps5 controller for the rest of the game.

Last edited:

Rayderism

My guesses about this PS3 BC stuff.....I don't know squat, just guessing.

Possibly a PS5 Pro feature.

Digital games only. Buy them again. No disk BC. Letting you pop in your old disk wouldn't be profitable for Sony.

Probably won't really have any enhancements. Maybe a bit of extra AA, possibly more consistent framerates and better load times, and that's it.
I remember seeing a vid (maybe DF) that talked about how early in the PS3's life, many games didn't use the extra features of the Cell CPU (SPU's), which is why many early PS3 games didn't look or run as good as the XBOX version, so possibly these "select" games they are talking about would be ones that didn't use the SPU's. Technically should be easier to emulate.

The Motorstorm series (the main reason I still have a PS3 hooked up) probably won't be among these "select" games. Because of course not.

Overall, the PS3 BC will be just as basic (and limited in library) as the digital PS1 and PS2 so-called BC is currently.

Last edited:

Calverz

Kimmy Schmidt Good Luck GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Please. Let me play ridge racer 7 on ps5.

Last edited:

wvnative

On the ps3, one of the resident evil games (if I remember) had a motorway section where the pressure buttons had to be used, otherwise you couldn't finish the level as the enemy got too far ahead and you failed the checkpoint. I had to switch to my ps3 controller to finish it, then back to my ps5 controller for the rest of the game.

Interesting, I don't play RE so I wouldn't know about that. That's gotta be one of VERY few examples.

Only ones I know of on any console were on PS2, Gran Turismo for throttle and MGS for interrogation. In GT you can just use full throttle and break accordingly or use the right stick as an alternative. While not ideal, interrogation in MGS isn't required to complete the game.

mitch1971

Gold Member
Digital games only. Buy them again. No disk BC. Letting you pop in your old disk wouldn't be profitable for Sony.
A percentage discount would be nice on the purchase if original disc is owned (and need to be used to play). But, who am I kidding, it will never happen.

Badlucktroll

Gold Member
Sony probably freaked out that the ps3 goldmine is money left on the table and they want to re sell us the titles so they had mark cerny figure it out. no more “but teh cell”. i bet he did it

Last edited:

MayauMiao

If it can run my old disc PS3 games, then maybe I'll consider buying a PS5.

If its digital titles only, I might as well stick to emulators.

Allandor

I would guess, it is not about PS5 but Server software/hardware. Because they need some replacement for streaming ps3 games, as the ps3 hardware is just way to old to effectively run it.

I can't see Sony locking this feature behind the PS5 Pro, but I can see PS3 games running at higher resolutions and perhaps something similar to boost mode on the PS5 Pro.

Flintty

As someone who recently finally bought into the PS ecosystem, this would be awesome for me, as long as you can just pop the disc in. There are lots of games that I missed!

It's funny though (and I hate to be that guy) that when Xbox announced BC, the general reaction on Gaf was "nobody wants to play old games"!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
As someone who recently finally bought into the PS ecosystem, this would be awesome for me, as long as you can just pop the disc in. There are lots of games that I missed!

It's funny though (and I hate to be that guy) that when Xbox announced BC, the general reaction on Gaf was "nobody wants to play old games"!

Zero percent chance.

SimTourist

Technical implementation is one thing, the legal side of it is much more complicated. Look at how many hoops MS had to jump through to negotiate all the licensing for every single BC game for ultimately minimal financial gain.

Badlucktroll

Gold Member
Technical implementation is one thing, the legal side of it is much more complicated. Look at how many hoops MS had to jump through to negotiate all the licensing for every single BC game for ultimately minimal financial gain.
I bet they will do some early first party games like Resistance 1 and Infamous and some shit like dead nation and super rub a dub to start with

cireza

BC in PS2 (PS1), PS3 (PS1, PS2), Vita (PSP) and PS5 (PS4) was great.
You do realize that all the BC listed here were hardware implementations, with minimal or no emulation at all.

Unless a CELL has been hidden inside each PS5, I don't exactly see this happening in the same way for PS3 games on PS5...

DeVeAn

Look, if its not equal to or better that Xbox b/c don't even bother. Ape Escape 2 runs like shit and I loved that series.

yurinka

You do realize that all the BC listed here were hardware implementations, with minimal or no emulation at all.

Unless a CELL has been hidden inside each PS5, I don't exactly see this happening in the same way for PS3 games on PS5...
Yes.

The patent refers to hardware implementation of limiting the speed of components like CPU to match a previous console without breaking. Something helpful to let's say run PS4 or PS5 games on PS5 Pro. Or PS4 and PS5 games on PS6. Something like to configure let's say potentially a PS5 Pro or PS6 in "base PS5 mode" or "PS4 mode" and related testing versions of such modes for developers.

The problem with PS3 emulation is the opposite: PS3 had some hardware stuff that in certain things was faster than PS4 or PS5 hardware, so can't be properly emulated.

The patent doesn't seem to be related to PS3 emulation at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom