• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia 6.4" Phablet L4 shows up in spy shot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
QMOZl53.png

Looks like a giant Xperia Z.

Specs rundown from what I have heard:

6.44" 1080p screen (AH-IPS)
2GB RAM
16GB storage
Snapdragon 800 LTE
2970 mAh battery
13.1MP Exmor RS camera
IP55/57
Pen input, digital ink, not Wacom

July announcement, August release WW.

What the hell is that Nokia device in the corner?

Nokia phablet.

that battery is smaller than the note 2s right? damn the white HTC one is gorgeous.

That's just what I've heard. Could be much larger than that, but given the thinness I'll trust the source.

By worldwide you mean everywhere but the US right?

Available online unsubsidised, $799 I think. Might get picked up by one, possibly two carriers, but not until October/November.

I meant not released here at all like the Xperia Z but apparently it was released here, damn it I just bought the SG4 because I thought the Z wasn't coming.... :(

It's out already. HSPA+ version on Sony.com and LTE version for T-Mobile, but it feels like that version has been delayed to hell and back tbh. Sony still don't know how to deal with US carriers. They need to fix that shit because the H2 flagship is only going to be on T-Mobile as well afaik, AT&T passed and Sprint are still thinking about it.

SRG01

Pen input? WOW. Finally a (viable) competitor to Samsung's S-Pen.

If not Wacom, then what technology would they use?

Pen input? WOW. Finally a (viable) competitor to Samsung's S-Pen.

If not Wacom, then what technology would they use?

Digital ink. Same as the Vaio Duo 11. It's pretty good, but the pen requires a battery. Sony aren't willing to pay up for Wacom's battery free tech.

There was a rumour recently that they have integrated a completely new type of touch response that means anything with a tip can be used accurately as an input device, but I remain sceptical.

It's out already. HSPA+ version on Sony.com and LTE version for T-Mobile, but it feels like that version has been delayed to hell and back tbh. Sony still don't know how to deal with US carriers. They need to fix that shit because the H2 flagship is only going to be on T-Mobile as well afaik, AT&T passed and Sprint are still thinking about it.

Yeah they do..it's very annoying...I still can't find the Xperia Tablet in stores....Maybe next year Sony...

SRG01

Digital ink. Same as the Vaio Duo 11. It's pretty good, but the pen requires a battery. Sony aren't willing to pay up for Wacom's battery free tech.

There was a rumour recently that they have integrated a completely new type of touch response that means anything with a tip can be used accurately as an input device, but I remain sceptical.

Ah okay. Didn't realize that Digital Ink was a type of technology! Thanks!

Yeah they do..it's very annoying...I still can't find the Xperia Tablet in stores....Maybe next year Sony...

I heard it's sold out in the US from pre-orders. Sony completely underestimated demand. I think they have shipped something like 300k WW and basically sold through all of them. Should be another shipment soon, but it could take a while for it to be in stock regularly. Best thing to do would be to go to a Sony store and back order it if you can. Or get one from Amazon, it's still in stock there.

Yes! Bigger!

I don't care about the naysayers. I enjoy this trend. The Note 2 was fantastic but I could see the need for a higher-res, bigger screen.

This Xperia would only be useful if it hit before the Note 3, since the Note 3's hardware will probably trounce it.

I heard it's sold out in the US from pre-orders. Sony completely underestimated demand. I think they have shipped something like 300k WW and basically sold through all of them. Should be another shipment soon, but it could take a while for it to be in stock regularly. Best thing to do would be to go to a Sony store and back order it if you can. Or get one from Amazon, it's still in stock there.

Yeah if I can't find any tomorrow I'm just going to order it from Amazon, maybe this will wake them up a bit.

This Xperia would only be useful if it hit before the Note 3, since the Note 3's hardware will probably trounce it.

They are both going to use the same hardware platform, Snapdragon 800 and 2GB RAM with 1080p screens. The only difference will be the screen/device size with the Note 3 being smaller.

If my source is right about the AH-IPS screen then it should have ultrawide viewing angles as well since that is what is used in the Xperia Tablet Z and HTC One.

Yeah if I can't find any tomorrow I'm just going to order it from Amazon, maybe this will wake them up a bit.

Yeah, it's just classic Sony. Make a decent device, don't release it in a timely manner and then don't have it in stock when they do finally get around to releasing it. If there was every a company that needed some serious restructuring it's Sony Group and Sony Corp. America.

DBT85

I like a larger phone, but this might just be too big.

Still looking toward the original Xperia Z for my upgrade.

Yeh same here, some people have some big pockets. I do usually wear a blazer however,

They are disappointing specs for a phone that big... except for that great battery!

Other than storage they are pretty much top of the range specs for any phone coming out this year. It has a MicroSD slot so the smaller storage space isn't really a big deal.

Volotaire

Other than storage they are pretty much top of the range specs for any phone coming out this year. It has a MicroSD slot so the smaller storage space isn't really a big deal.

True, I was expecting more from a bigger sized phone, maybe a extra gig of Ram and higher clocked CPU.

CPU not stated exactly at clock rate, hopefully it's good.

Fezan

wow Sony is really pushing minimalistic design. its like a giant glass slab. but in person they look fabulous

Akira

Seeing a trend here, lol. First the phone, now the tablet. Sony needs to get the memo that people are getting more interested in their products again because they are actually quite competent (and even very competitive).

I'm not sure about this phablet. I feel like it will be too big to be a serious Note competitor. It even makes the Note 2 look small and that thing's huge! It will also need a Wacom stylus to be considered by serious artists.

Edit: One sexy thing about this phablet though: that thickness. Is it thinner than the Xperia Z? It could make holding such a huge phone easier, like the Xperia Tablet Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom