• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sources: Trump may nominate Peter Thiel to Supreme Court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iksenpets

Banned
I kind of admire the total dismissal inherent in his worldview. Democracy doesn't work, because women don't want to vote for libertarian jackasses. That's not a problem with libertarianism, it's a problem with democracy!

Honestly, Thiel is probably the public figure I'm most worried about right now. Plenty of eccentric rich people have bankrolled weird political projects before, but no one with so many resources has ever seemed dedicated to burning it all down in the way Thiel is. Like, there are the rich people who finance Republicans or Democrats every year, but now we have a rich guy who seems most interested in pushing whatever is most likely to bring about the collapse of society so he can get to work building his libertopia. And even once Trump's gone, Thiel's still out there waiting for the next apocalyptically awful candidate to arise.

There's no constitutional requirement for Supreme Court judges as far as legal training/education is concerned. He could nominate Bozo the Clown, and if he has 51 Senators willing to vote to confirm Bozo, there's nothing standing in his way.

That's not true. I dont believe Trump can nominate himself.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Forgive my ignorance of the American political system, but shouldn't a Supreme Court nominee be... a judge...? Like, a real one? Has Thiel ever passed or even taken the bar exam?

Judges are appointed, typically the prerequisites are a law degree, membership with a bar association, and time spent working in law. It sounds like this guy meets at least two of those.

However, government of the people and by the people, and equality among all means that unless there's a law the requires those things anyone can be appointed if they're confirmed afterward. As a form of checks and balances you can't tell people that they can't take part in the the government because we all have the right to choose our leaders and take part in leadership of the country. So far as I know there aren't any laws restricting someone without law education or experience from being part of the Supreme Court.

Dude Abides

Banned
Judges are appointed, typically the prerequisites are a law degree, membership with a bar association, and time spent working in law. It sounds like this guy meets at least two of those.

Typically the time spent is more than the one year right out of law school that Thiel has.

But that's not a rule.

It should be.

In Canada, in order for a judge to be considered for a Supreme Court seat, he or she needs to have been a judge for 10 or 15 years if I recall. I know that for a lawyer to become a judge, he or she needs to have practiced law for at least 10 years.

Peter Thiel on the Supreme Court is the point at which I'd be comfortable calling for bloody revolution, honestly. That would be an apocalyptic scenario, as far as I'm concerned.

Why not just put Hulk Hogan on the bench?

fQMJV1J.jpg

We're so close, friends

So close

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom