• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPACESHIP ONE thread!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
All the cable stations have it, waiting for liftoff.

take about an hour for it to go up 50,000 feet before launching the rocket.

Tenguman

Here's hoping after the space flight that aliens passing through come down to earth and give congrads for the first private space flight.

FnordChan

Update from space.com:

"10:51 a.m. ET: SpaceShipOne has been dropped from its mothership, the White Knight. Pilot Mike Melvill fired the rockets and SpaceShipOne is now rocketing toward space. Goal: 62 miles (100 kilometers) up, where Melvill will earn his astronaut wings. Under the rising Sun the rocket firing was visible to the thousands of shouting, whooping enthralled spectators."

Go, Mike, go!

FnordChan

GO! GO! GO!

r3431725373.jpg

FnordChan

Victory!

"11:02 a.m. ET: Mike Melvill and his SpaceShipOne have made it into space. Everything looks good, mission official said, and the craft is now gliding back toward a landing at the Mojave Airport, where it took off earlier this morning. "I got goose bumps when I saw contrails," Greg Klerkx, author of Lost in Space: The Fall of NASA and the Dream of a New Space Age. "I never thought I'd see this moment, but here it is.""

FnordChan

Phoenix

She's on her descent now. Some circuits blew on the way up and at some point it apparently shut itself down instead of being shut down by the pilot. They aren't saying how high she went but its believed that they made it.

Phoenix

Now all they need to do is come up with a way to get from mach 2.5 to mach 25 so they can get into orbit, something Rutan tells CNN he wants to do.

Phoenix

iapetus said:
Cool.

Although the next step isn't Mach 25 - it's passengers. Time to win the X Prize...

Just quoting Rutan. He isn't really all that concerned about commercialization - he wants to inspire others in that regard and move on to orbital flight.

bjork

I didn't know this was happening so close to my house, I could've gone out to see it.

Ah well. That slideshow rules. :thumbsup:

lexbubble

oh wow..thanks for the slideshow. i love anything to do with planes/shapeships and needless to say was glued to Fox News coverage of this once I woke up this morning =)

Tenguman said:
Here's hoping after the space flight that aliens passing through come down to earth and give congrads for the first private space flight.

Your wish came true! Here's a pic of one of them at the landing site:

capt.sge.gme93.210604192646.photo04.default-254x380.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom