• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Portable - would you buy one?

Would you buy a PS5 Portable

• Yes

Votes: 58 45.3%
  • No - Sony should make a different handheld

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • No - I don’t want a Sony handheld at all

Votes: 58 45.3%

• Total voters

Crayon

The portal should be about as far as they can take this based on price and trying to support it. At least I'm holding onto that idea for the moment.

The thought of playing PS4 games is sorta stupid for several reasons. Think about the load times. All that gen left me wanting was to cut those load times.

A portable PS4 really getting support from third parties would ring in a new era of cross-gen; Giving it a shot in the arm as it's winding down

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
No. I can collect dust on the go for free

PS5's catalog got nothing for me

A portable PS3 on the other hand I'd buy like six of

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Last weekend I made a thread and poll discussing the idea of a PS4 Portable. Many here rejected the idea citing that it was too late with cross gen coming to an end and that the tech was too dated

My second proposal is a PS5 Portable which should come out before PS6 (ideally 2026/2027.

My reasons for this are…

- the later they release, the cheaper the launch price would be, ensuring good early sales momentum

- the later they release, the less chance of competition from base PS5 and PS5 Pro

- the later they release, the higher chance of a big existing software library

- releasing before PS6 means they would be able to take advantage of several years of cross-gen output

Will it be able to play all PS6 games via Remote Play?

El Muerto

Gold Member
No, there's no games to play on it. Now if they came up with a handheld that had its own library + PS4 then i'm in. But they'll never support it. I was there day 1 for the PSP and Vita, they're my favorite handhelds. But Sony is kinda losing me this gen.

Agent X

The problem with introducing a purely PS4 Portable is that it'd be a platform living on borrowed time as the new releases of PS4 games slowly dwindles. Such a device should be made with the expectation of being able to receive new software for at least 5 years, that wouldn't be the case for a PS4 Portable. Yes more legacy software from the PS1/PS2/PSP will also make its way onto PSN that this device could play, but that's a much smaller segment of the market.

Good point, but what I'm proposing would basically repurpose the PS4 "console" as the "portable".

I mean, if you're talking about some scaled-down version of the PS5 that could maybe play some of that system's games, but not all of them, then that system already exists...it's called PS4. They really don't need to create a "PlayStation 5 Series S" in the process, as there's not enough benefit that could be gained by doing so.

Keep in mind that we also have to take in consideration the sheer ability to engineer such a portable in the first place, taking into account physical size, power consumption, heat generation, and battery life. These concerns were raised several days ago when RetroGamingUK RetroGamingUK started a similar thread discussing a portable PS4. Some people even doubted that it would be feasible for Sony to achieve this, even for a 2025 or 2026 release. If they can't reasonably accomplish this with the PS4 chipset, then the feasibility would assuredly be worse for the even larger and more power-hungry PS5. That is the reason why creating an "in-between" system is mostly pointless.

The ony way this would work is if there are enough advancements in chip technology that could make such a reduction in these chipsets both economical and practical. But in that case, we're still circling back to the original question.
  • If the PS4 chipset can be feasibly reduced, but the PS5 chipset cannot, then make a portable PS4. You could still play PS5 games through streaming. Maybe you could revisit an actual portable PS5 in a few more years.
  • If the PS5 chipset can be feasibly reduced, then make a portable PS5. After all, why setll for anything less? If the system can play all of the PS5 games, then just make that system and don't toy with "in-between" compromises.

This is a best of all worlds scenario where the handheld has a MASSIVE back catalog to fall back on, has the prospect of receiving new software for several years and can still rely on remote play/cloud for the more demanding games. Marketing wouldn't be very difficult, just create a new branding and logo like "PS5 Portable Compatible" and slap that on any compatible game on PSN and you're done.

This would also work with a portable PS4, by the same criteria. Even though the home PS4 console might not be produced or marketed, the chipset would live on as the portable. They don't have to have either the number 4 or the number 5 in the name. If it's instanly compatible with all PS4 games lock, stock, and barrel, then that's very easy for their marketing to promote, regardless of the name of the system on the box. It avoids the confusion of having to explain why the system can play some PS5 games but not all of them, without any assurance that whatever future PS5 games you're anticipating would still be compatible.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
if its running 60fps with lower resolution and support digital and physical, sure.

If it is simply a portable PS4 then no probably not because I don't want to be limited to older software.
If it's simply a PlayStation Portable that can play all games ala Steam Deck/Ally then abso-fucking-lutely.

Top Bottom