• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speevy's Nintendo DS Impressions

Speevy

Banned
Nintendo DS

Playing a handheld is never very fun when that handheld is bolted down. In fact that defeats the nature of handheld gaming. Nevertheless, I played some Metroid Prime Hunters and tried the Pictochat. This software is packed with the system.

Metroid Prime Hunters

First of all, there are several control schemes, the most practical of which (thumb stick) was not available to me. It's included with launch DS's though. Every other scheme proved too cumbersome for the first person shooter except for stylus control. With this control type, you move the stylus pen around like a mouse on the bottom screen to look and the four face buttons move you, while R shoots. The silliest form of control was probably the one that lets you point to the place on the screen where you wish to shoot. Now that's great for precision shooting, but impractical for walking. Graphics are pretty far above average for a N64-level game. The corridors and particular are impressive for a handheld. Enemies are more the Doom variety than Metroid Prime's artistic looking bosses. I ran around the level and shot a few baddies, and rolled around in a ball. If I'm being honest, I'll say I'm "cautiously optimistic" about this game. It has multiplayer and a thumbstick, so hopefully that will smooth out the controls. I can see that the DS is definitely capable of doing the first person shooter. And with games like Advance Wars, Wario Ware, Animal Crossing, Feel the Magic, etc. it won't even make a difference. Also, a game like Mario 64 is easily doable with the two screen setup. I wonder why Nintendo chose Hunters to be honest. It's got more mature appeal, but Prime isn't selling the Gamecube, so...

Pictochat

One "game" I could absolutely not complain about is Pictochat. Kids should love this. Cool interface, you basically just point to letters or draw and send. I like it.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Speevy said:
but Prime isn't selling the Gamecube, so...

Well, neither did Mario Sunshine to any significant degree (although my memory for sales numbers could be off.)

But, you know, if you're aiming to shed the "kiddie" image, a great way to start is to maybe introduce a brand new system with something that Isn't Mario.

snapty00

Banned
xsarien said:
Well, neither did Mario Sunshine to any significant degree (although my memory for sales numbers could be off.)

But, you know, if you're aiming to shed the "kiddie" image, a great way to start is to maybe introduce a brand new system with something that Isn't Mario.
Madden.

Soul4ger

Hunters is a different kind of game than Metroid Prime, too. It's just a straight-up shooter, which is a lot more accessible and appealing to the average customer. Of course, the control scheme is not readily accessible, but I've noticed that walking people through it for a few minutes really warms up their interest.

Priz

Speevy said:
Pictochat

One "game" I could absolutely not complain about is Pictochat. Kids should love this. Cool interface, you basically just point to letters or draw and send. I like it.
The Stupid question of thread - was there any option in Pictochat to create a room or connect to a IP or something? Just pondering if there's an ability to create a server similar to IRC on the net (instead of locally)...

Priz said:
The Stupid question of thread - was there any option in Pictochat to create a room or connect to a IP or something? Just pondering if there's an ability to create a server similar to IRC on the net (instead of locally)...

Local only for now although its been posed that it could be updated later with more functionality.

Soul4ger

Priz said:

In the demo version, there were four pre-made rooms already available. You just joined one of them, and people could come in and leave as they desired. Not anything for making your own, though.

Speevy

Banned
Priz said:

What I saw was a few rooms, each that said "0/16". I entered a room and wrote a message to myself. Otherwise, I don't know how to answer your question.

Top Bottom