• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir |OT| Over in a Flash

game is picking up some steam now but too tired to play, will continue in the morning.

im using my chair to play, spinning around during the ghost battles lol B^)

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
This game is out on the 29th June here in Europe.
Same day as we get Project Zero: Crimson Butterfly (Fatal Frame 2) for Wii.

vid

Itching to buy a 3DS title today. I currently only own Kid Icarus: Uprising and MGS3D, and am considering whether or not to pick this up after work today...

The local Nintendo rep very kindly demoed the game for me yesterday and answered any questions I had. I mentioned my concerns about the game's length, to which she replied "Well, that's the the mini-games are for." which isn't the most promising response in the world. At the same time, I am a big fan of Fatal Frame, very happy to see that NoA hasn't COMPLETELY forgotten about it...

Should I just break down and pick up Spirit Camera today? Or go with another title (Ocarina of Time 3D? Mario Kart 7?) and wait for the price drop that will probably happen within a month?

Apdiddy

I'm planning on getting this game when it's cheaper -- I like the premise behind it and think it's cool they are using AR in an actual game.

Judging by Jim Sterling's review, it sounds like he based his score on getting frustrated with a section of a game and that colored his feelings towards the entire game. Which isn't fair at all.

There's nothing wrong with not liking a game that everyone else likes -- but if his experience is that bad (Kid Icarus: Uprising was unfairly reviewed as well), maybe Sterling shouldn't be reviewing games.

kSt

Itching to buy a 3DS title today. I currently only own Kid Icarus: Uprising and MGS3D, and am considering whether or not to pick this up after work today...

The local Nintendo rep very kindly demoed the game for me yesterday and answered any questions I had. I mentioned my concerns about the game's length, to which she replied "Well, that's the the mini-games are for." which isn't the most promising response in the world. At the same time, I am a big fan of Fatal Frame, very happy to see that NoA hasn't COMPLETELY forgotten about it...

Should I just break down and pick up Spirit Camera today? Or go with another title (Ocarina of Time 3D? Mario Kart 7?) and wait for the price drop that will probably happen within a month?
I don`t know why would you buy this game for full price when there are many other great games which definitely worth buying.

vid

I don`t know why would you buy this game for full price when there are many other great games which definitely worth buying.

To support a severely underrepresented franchise, and to have an experience that I can't really have otherwise.

Gameboy415

Played a bit of it today.

The lipsynch and lack of full VO really hurt the immersion quite a bit. The lighting demands are pretty high and I had a ton of trouble getting the thing to recognize my hand. I also ran into a battle where I couldn't kill the ghost. I got one shot in and then it just sat there and did nothing and I couldn't die or progress. Well give it another go tomorrow since I liked everything else.

are you talking about the hand fight on page 4?
, though i dont know why i spoiled filtered the sentence lol, not many people have it :p

i was lost too until i moved around and got it, but yeah the lighting demand is really :/ so far

I had the exact same problem until I came to a (somewhat embarassing) realization:
you can rotate the book around!

The battle was easy after that.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm planning on getting this game when it's cheaper -- I like the premise behind it and think it's cool they are using AR in an actual game.

Judging by Jim Sterling's review, it sounds like he based his score on getting frustrated with a section of a game and that colored his feelings towards the entire game. Which isn't fair at all.

There's nothing wrong with not liking a game that everyone else likes -- but if his experience is that bad (Kid Icarus: Uprising was unfairly reviewed as well), maybe Sterling shouldn't be reviewing games.

Sterling gave Kirby a ridiculously inflated score and puffed up review as the best platformer evar. Kirby Return to Dreamland is very easy and frustration free...

... meanwhile he threw Kid Icarus at the wall after what sounded like seeing the controls the very first time and deciding the game was pure crap.

Yeah so, I think one should consider his "unique" spin on things.

Yuterald

I want to play this, but $40 is a bit too much. Looking forward to picking this up when it inevitably drops in price.

I'm gonna buy this, but not before it hits the $20-$15 mark. If they really wanted me to spend $40 then maybe Iwata should have let that Fatal Frame 2 remake for the 3DS happen. Or hell, port Fatal Frame 4 since they shafted fans over the with the US release on that one. Nintendo's priorities/decisions are just out of whack sometimes.

I just played it for the first time, what a great point-and-click type adventure game. It really is a Fatal Frame game at heart. Can't wait to see a full fledged one for the system without the AR stuff. AR is hard to pull off if you don't have the right lighting.

I'm glad Nintendo brought this over but it seems like all of their games are being released in all regions, so nothing to worry about I think. :)

Gameboy415

I'm gonna buy this, but not before it hits the $20-$15 mark. If they really wanted me to spend $40 then maybe Iwata should have let that Fatal Frame 2 remake for the 3DS happen. Or hell, port Fatal Frame 4 since they shafted fans over the with the US release on that one. Nintendo's priorities/decisions are just out of whack sometimes.

I don't recall any mention of it ever being on 3DS, but the remake of FF2 is coming out on Wii.
The (tentative?) English title is "Fatal Frame: Deep Crimson Butterfly" and I think it has already been confirmed for a Euro release, but US is still uncertain. :(
Buying Spirit Camera would certainly help them see US fans are still interested in the Fatal Frame series! ;)

Also, if you can track down a Japanese copy of FF4 you can play it on an American Wii with the excellent English patch released a few years back.
No illegal stuff like hacking or modding is required - the patch loads directly from an SD card.

More info and all the necessary files can be found here: http://www.fatalframe4.net/

I don't recall any mention of it ever being on 3DS, but the remake of FF2 is coming out on Wii.
The (tentative?) English title is "Fatal Frame: Deep Crimson Butterfly" and I think it has already been confirmed for a Euro release, but US is still uncertain. :(
Buying Spirit Camera would certainly help them see US fans are still interested in the Fatal Frame series! ;)

Also, if you can track down a Japanese copy of FF4 you can play it on an American Wii with the excellent English patch released a few years back.
No illegal stuff like hacking or modding is required - the patch loads directly from an SD card.

More info and all the necessary files can be found here: http://www.fatalframe4.net/

Oh I was under the impression that the original plan was to port FFII over to the 3DS, but Iwata shut it down. Regardless, it's good to hear that it's getting a Wii port. The patch for FFIV (it feels so weird to use that abbreviation when not referring to Final Fantasy) is also great news!

kunonabi

Just finished Fatal Frame IV with the patch last night actually. Best horror game this console gen by far. Only game left to beat it is Night of the Sacrifice but I doubt it will.

English patch was well done and fixes some of the other glitches too I believe.

If I had to rank them:

Fatal Frame II
Fatal Frame
Fatal Frame IV
Fatal Frame III

I haven't played the original in a long time but I know it left a bigger impression in terms than IV. It did have the benefit of being the first and fresh so it might not be a fair comparison. I did like IV much more than III though.

Zornica

Banned
after reading about a small european bonus when buying the ff2 remake and this one, i wondered if this is worth checking out, despite its high price tag. Or should I wait till it drops to a reasonable pricetag?

I wonder if anyone would've complained if this was a eshop game with a pdf you got to printout yourself for 10 bucks.

Sorry to bump this, but saw this for $20 and was wondering if its worth it. Im a big horror fan, and I loved Fatal Frame 1. I heard the game is super short and the AR stuff annoying, but I can look past that if its creepy, and fun at least to play.

olimpia84

Sorry to bump this, but saw this for $20 and was wondering if its worth it. Im a big horror fan, and I loved Fatal Frame 1. I heard the game is super short and the AR stuff annoying, but I can look past that if its creepy, and fun at least to play.

IMO it's not worth it. I got it for 15 bucks from Best Buy a few weeks ago but I wouldn't pay anything more than that. $10 should be the sweet spot for this game.
The game is not really creepy, or at least, it didn't do a whole lot to me since in order to play and have the 3DS read the AR book you need to be in a well lit environment which sort of defeats the purpose of the game.

Locke_211

Just bumped to say that GAME in the UK are selling this for £9.98. Thought it can't not be worth that much, so I bought it.

Had one battle with a ghost on one of the mini games and it seems a decent enough translation of the Fatal Frame / Project Zero gameplay to the 3DS camera. Looking foward to the story-mode as at that price I don't really mind how short it is.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Still $40 in US AFAIK. :/

Futureshop has been using it for system bundles, and is selling it for $19.99 in Canada. They really want to clear stock. I picked up the game 'free' with my Midnight Purple 3DS earlier in the year. I'll get around to play more of it eventually, but 'scary game' + 'must play in absurdly well lit room' did turn me off.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
STILL $40 in America. NoA must be pleased with sales or they're milking the remaining inventory for all its worth.

Locke_211

I sold my copy, as it just wouldn't seem to work reading the book anywhere in my house, after the first section.

Not a bad thing, though, as GAME are selling it for £10 and HMV are trading it in for £16!

jufonuk

not tag worthy
sorry for the bump,
I have seen this on Amazon for around £20 excluding P&P, worth the price or hold out some more?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
sorry for the bump,
I have seen this on Amazon for around £20 excluding P&P, worth the price or hold out some more?

Hold out. It's 30% less than that in Canada right now at almost every shop.. but frankly even for that price, the game is not really worth it. It screams tech demo as much as Steel Diver did. Cool concept, but doesn't really work.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Hold out. It's 30% less than that in Canada right now at almost every shop.. but frankly even for that price, the game is not really worth it. It screams tech demo as much as Steel Diver did. Cool concept, but doesn't really work.

Damn well I was afraid of that, I guess it's back to RE:R on Hard Mode then :)
(awaiting the CPPXL in the UK as well)

Top Bottom