• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports Champions 2 |OT| Get up and Move!

banner.jpg

Developed by Zindagi Games & SCE San Diego Studio

Announcement Trailers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV4INHnNbmI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqSPxDsHqkc&feature=player_embedded

SUMMARY INFO
  • PLATFORM: Playstation 3 - requires Move Controller(s)
  • RELEASE DATE: Out now all territories on Disc and PSN (DEMO AVAILABLE ON PSN)
  • 6 SPORTS: Archery, Bowling, Boxing, Golf, Skiing, Tennis

SHORT FAQ
  • Can I play with only one Move controller?
    Yes a single player can play all sports with a single controller.
    (Obviously Boxing is better with two controllers and arguably archery,skiing as well)
  • Is Sports Champions 1 included with this game?
    No this is a new standalone game.
  • Are there multiplayer modes or other game modes?
    Yes there is an improved single player Champion CUP mode, Party Mode, and Free Play.
  • Is there network play?
    No there is no network play. Only local multiplayer.

NOTABLE FEATURES
  • Player Avatar Customization: Modify your character to look as you see fit
  • Super Simple Move Control Calibration: You essentially point at the Camera once and push a button
  • Gameplay becomes more rich as you advance from Bronze Cup to Champion Cup (various assists are turned off as you advance)
  • Doubles Tennis: Play 2 humans versus the AI

OPINION
Best Overall Move Game Yet. No excuses GAF give Sony your extra milk money to purchase a copy.

REVIEW
(Neogaf's very own TTP)
http://www.iwaggle3d.com/2012/10/iwalkthrough-sports-champions-2.html

SOME PICTURES
archery.jpg

boxing.jpg

customize.jpg

ski.jpg

bowling.jpg

tennis.jpg

jediyoshi

Played a good chunk of the first one, not sure if anything besides archery looks to be worth getting excited for this time around.

onQ123

Amazon didn't ship my pre-ordered copy until like a day or 2 ago SMH I knew I should have pre-ordered from Newegg.

I was one of the posters who was HIGHLY critical of all the other Tennis Move games which have been released.

This Tennis game however... does things right. The hassle free calibration and pick-up-and-play design is pretty much what I wanted from the game. Plus two people vs AI is a lot of fun.

SC2 Boxing is also a great compromise on the complexity of boxing versus simply making something fun. Its not quite Punch Out and its not quite The Fight Lights Out so its somewhere in the happy middle road. Easy to pick up and play but complex enough for you to enjoy it as a game.

I play this game daily now. Its an awesome counter balance to the couch potato games which I spend (too much) time playing.

SC2 is more engaging than Sports Champions 1 for me due to having more sports that I enjoy (like boxing / tennis).

Its awesome that I can box as a counter puncher against the AI and it works in the game mechanics. That's really well done.

Just started playing this. Some boxing yesterday, which is pretty good, and today I tried bowling and tennis, which are both very well done. Then I hit my hand against a cubboard while playing tennis really hard - burst my skin and have a nice bump - ouch!

Still, it looks and plays well, and certainly seems to have cleaned up nicely from what I'd seen at GamesCom. It's much more colorful, and the custom players help a bit too. It still feels a bit like a B-team presentation wise (sound and animations look like they've been done by a junior), and I really think Sony should have given the team some help here, but the gameplay is great, and I highly recommend it so far.

Fwiw, I played the original Sports Champions a lot too - loved Table Tennis and Swordfighting, and played several events into beyond the Gold levels.

More impressions when I've tried more events.

It's 3.5GB from PSN by the way, and recommend getting it on your HDD if you can (I paid 19,99 euro for pre-ordering, which also gave some extra Golf modes I believe), as this is so much nicer if you can just start it without having to chase the disc. ;)

Razgreez

Picked this up on the cheap recently (been picking up way too many things on the cheap lately so it's actually hurting my pocket). I must say the mechanics are great. Everything feels tight and you never feel like you're lacking control. Wish there were more games like these

Takao

Banned
1.02 Patch Now Available:

http://community.us.playstation.com...s-2-1-01-Release-Notes/m-p/38989755#U38989755

Upgrades

- 430 SDK for facebook API changes

- Updates to the Victory Booth

+Pose with your avatar

+ Set a sport specific background to use in your photo

- EULA server support

- When selecting a playable boss avatar, your current custom avatar will be saved for retrieval later.

- Telemetry support

Fixes

Misc.

- New 1.01 saved data format, copies from 1.00 data if that exists. First 1.01 boot will be longer during this process.

- LED lights can lead to the game being unplayable when there are multiple lighting sources in certain scenarios.

- Stability when soaking on the Options menu for more than an hour, then entering the Credits.

- Users are unable to reassign motion controllers during gameplay without having to turn one off

- Game Data Icon displays incorrect SC2 logo in certain scenarios

- When a certain save data is copied using the 'Data Transfer Utility' then an inappropriate message would display while saving in the 'Avatar Creator'

- In the XMB when the user name is set to '%ls' and if Customize is selected in the Name Settings screen, stability issue.

- Three wins are awarded in Profile Stats for completing a Tennis Challenge match

- The Golf DLC emblem on the Carbon Fiber clubs should not display when only the Unlock All DLC is installed

- SCEH - In Korean, Party Play text size would overlap in the HUD

- SCEH - Title Name of the installed game is missing "Digital"

- SCEH - Saved Data Title Name is incorrectly displayed when created in Korean

Party Mode

- Users will be notified of everyone’s difficulty selection at the end of the party

- The scores of all players was enlarged on the 'Challenge Results' page

- Player photos briefly flash on Event Results screen before sliding in

- Frame rate significantly stutters during Choose a Motion Controller prompt under certain conditions

Facebook

- Long Archery scores are cut off after uploading a Cup Play match photo .

- Using the 'Line Break' button can cause text to run out off the bottom/top of the screen

- Facebook and in-game preview post will contain incorrect line-breaks

- When a sentence is created with more than 12 line breaks, several issues will occur.

- User input text for a Facebook post can run out of the screen

My Champion

- The Preparing Champion loading screen will exceed 60 seconds if the User creates 6 Champions with assets acquired from the Unlock All DLC and then reboots after erasing the DLC

- Gold Cup Champion Package: Boss icons for all sports will not display if 'Boss' Champion is being used

- The User's chosen Premade Avatar should not be randomly selected as teammate/opponent

- CPU opponent Mason has corrupt hair graphic [in-game icons]

- Edit Champion: Breadcrumbs can appear over locked assets

- Bunny Slipper nose color cannot be modified

- Equipping multiple items on the Unlock Packages screen then quitting or continuing may cause title to lock

Cup Play

- User can increase their offline cup play score by going from the in-game match selection screen and back to the previous completed match post-game screen.

- Cup Play - Star count tally should finish before transitioning to another round or before the game ends

- When progressing through match results to the next match before CPU avatar loads in, title hangs for 10-15 seconds before loading match

-The PlayStation Eye does not read the second [Move] controller at the start of a race (timing specific)

- With some user setups in Cup Play - Equipping unlocked items then selecting Continue causes load screen to exceed 60 seconds

Victory Booth

- Victory Booth: Changed a mask color

- The "Sports Champions 2" logo is partially cut off when viewed on

the Victory Booth screen

- Victory Booth option should be added to Match Results screen

Archery

- Shooting Gallery-Balloons: The Exclamation Target does not always take 20pts away in the Breakpoint Bay environment

- Champion Cup Match 4 Round 3 - Rally Cubes randomly fail to spawn after the initial 2 and gameplay will not progress

- Hit streaks during demo attract mode will be reflected on the stats

Boxing

- Round numbers are not displayed above the scores in the pause menu

- With one motion controller, the Avatar's hand position may become reset while attempting to charge a power punch

- Champion Challenge - It is too difficult to see the highlights on shadowman

- Two One Handed Motion Controls prompts will appear when two Users are using One Motion Controller in Standard Boxing in Party Play

- The crowd can still randomly be heard in the background even when audio options are turned off.

Skiing

- Breakpoint Bay - On Gold Point Summit user respawns when touching the fence on the left near the start of the course

- Breakpoint Bay - On The Fault Line user respawns when traveling close to the left border boundary

- Breakpoint Bay - On The Fault Line user respawns when traveling down on the right side before the jump off the cave

- Breakpoint Bay - On Gold Point Summit there are a couple of locations outside the bounds where a user with enough speed can fall through the world momentarily

- Breakpoint Bay - The Fault Line - Crashing on a small jump on the left causes the Avatar to respawn in front of a wall

- Breakpoint Bay - On The Fault Line the user is reset to a location inside level geometry and will fall through the world repeatedly

- Mega Dome - On Dragon's Spine user has a chance to respawn out of the world when crashing on the left side of the middle tunnel

- Mega Dome - Avatar is able to fall under the course back from the launch platform

- Mega Dome - Avatar is able to ski out of bounds near the end of the course and resets clipping into the course

- Mega Dome - On Dead Man's Descent large boulder disappears after jumping and riding the wall on the left

- Mega Dome - On Dragon's Spine the respawn area in last tunnel can cause the user to crash back into pit

-Mega Dome - On Dead Man's Decent elevated signs toward end of on Gold Cup Race 2 lack collision

- Free Play Skiing - Dreadlock ponytail (last hairstyle) seems to grow in length when wearing a beanie during the intro and winner screen

-Free Play Skiing - A brief image will flash across the screen during the victory cutscene.

- Cup Play Skiing - If player finishes race second within 0.002 seconds of race winner the player still advances in Cup play as if they won

- Cup Play Skiing - Stat for 'Flipping' displays total inconsistent with what is earned in match

-The character may perform a front flip after jumping when the motion controller is positioned for a backwards flip

- Cup Play Skiing - The Player indicators on the Mini Map display incorrectly after loading into any team event in Free Play

- General Skiing - The character may perform a front flip after jumping when the motion

- General Skiing - On Mont Vitesse (Greenhorn Pass) and Breakpoint Bay

(The Fault Line) lamp posts on night courses lack collision

Golf

- Mega Dome - On hole 1 the green grid is missing when hitting the ball out of the sand trap

- Mega Dome - Warped graphics appear briefly after completing a Freeplay match with 2 players

- Mont Vitesse - On hole 1 hitting to a large boulder on left side of the course will cause the avatar to play next shot in/on a rock and have improper collision

- Mont Vitesse - On hole 1 there is a patch of grass that appears to be brown in a triangle formation on the course

- Free Play Golf - In Team Stroke Play, Scorecard will display incorrect scores when it's viewed after at least 1 ball from a teammate has made it into the hole

- Party Play Golf - In the Silver challenge match the lie percentage indicator on the HUD has multiple graphics issues

- General Golf - Left Handed Avatars will place their ball and tee upside down during their intro

- General Golf - While playing team stroke play in Mont Vitesse the BGM will not be played from the screen which determines the winning or losing.

- General Scramble DLC: The spectators will block the view of the green on the 'Select a location to play from' screen after hitting into the gallery

Tennis

- In a Challenge match, Star points obtained are not viewable during gameplay

- Quickly skipping training on matches 1-4 of Bronze or match 1 of Silver causes the Player's ball to warp once

- Screen remains on avatars after for long period of time before loading victory/defeat vignette under certain conditions

- Quickly skipping training causes the Training HUD to remain on screen during the regular match

- User can be spun around and will be unable to hit the ball for that turn

-Tip and training about power shots changing text to vibration

AAK

If I only enjoyed the Table tennis and marginally the archery in the original, is there any point to getting Sports Champions 2?

Finally got round to playing this. As a huge fan of the table tennis in SC1, I've had high hopes for the tennis in SC2. As with SC1, there is a lot of control assists at the bronze and silver difficulty, so I blasted through that as quickly as possible to get to the 'real deal'. It certainly feels more natural on gold, but the difference is nowhere near as apparent as it was with table tennis.

In table tennis, it really felt like near 1-to-1 control of the bat, and while there was still some assistance (e.g. the hit zone extended beyond the visible shape of the bat), you had quite a lot of influence on the positioning of where (relative to the table) and how (slice, power, etc) you hit the ball.

In tennis, the character moves entirely by themselves, although you can pull the trigger to make them run to the net. This understandable as you have to cover much larger distances in this sport, but the influence you have over the shots is massively reduced. For instance, it seems impossible to 'run around' a backhand to hit it with your forehand - something that I want to do almost every rally. I could hit forehands from the backhand side in table tennis, so I'm disappointed that I can't do it here.

It's still the best Move tennis game, but that really isn't saying much.

Top Bottom