• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spy Photos of the next BMW 3-Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heavily camouflaged, of course:

8179_image.jpg

8180_image.jpg

And one that's been cleaned up in Photoshop to approximate the production look:

1018.jpg

Of the recent BMW re-designs, I like this one best. I'd like to see what they do with the coupe version.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Looks like a bastardized 5 series. As usual.

I want the 8 Series to be re-introduced. V12. Mmmmmm

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
850i oh yeah :).

BMW has a great hit with the upcoming 1-series: starting at $20,000 and being about the size of a WV Golf or a bit bigger should sell a truckload :D.

fart

Savant
the 1-series will bomb in the us. who wants a cheaply made BMW that will cost an arm and a leg to maintain when you can just get a japanese car for less that can be maintained at a 10th the cost and get better mileage?

the 318ti failed in the us for a reason

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
fart said:
the 1-series will bomb in the us. who wants a cheaply made BMW that will cost an arm and a leg to maintain when you can just get a japanese car for less that can be maintained at a 10th the cost and get better mileage?

the 318ti failed in the us for a reason

Cheaply made BMW ? I am sorry, but you seem to suggest that technology wise it will suck which does not rhyme at all with BMW :).

Who wants a BMW ? A customer with taste :).

fart

Savant
well it's a given that it will be cheaply made with bmw's margins being what they are and the cost of importing everything. have you been in a bottom of the line benz? they're very chintzy. for the same price you could get a very nice non-luxury car with better build quality and features. technology-wise the 1-series isn't a shocker. it's pretty much a german econo. i don't know if you expect bmw to include a laser turret or what with these things pana but they're just small cars, and they don't have any of the fancy pants features of more expensive bmws because they're too cheap.

bionic77

I agree with fart that the 1 series will probably suck. If you take the luxury out of BMW then there is not really much left.

The new 3 series look hot, it is going to kill my car's value though. :(

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
fart said:
well it's a given that it will be cheaply made with bmw's margins being what they are and the cost of importing everything. have you been in a bottom of the line benz? they're very chintzy. for the same price you could get a very nice non-luxury car with better build quality and features. technology-wise the 1-series isn't a shocker. it's pretty much a german econo. i don't know if you expect bmw to include a laser turret or what with these things pana but they're just small cars, and they don't have any of the fancy pants features of more expensive bmws because they're too cheap.

I see a smaller car, probably assembled in the U.S. down south for the U.S. release: I see a smaller engine being in the base model, etc...

I see the VW Golf starting at around $14,000.

I still see the "tolerance" used in their parts as typical BMW, I see the attention to details typical BMW and the innovation in the car's mechanics typical of BMW.

Bog

Junior Ace
The current 3-series has a sporty look to it that's definitely missing in those spy photos.

fart

Savant
http://www.autointell-news.com/european_companies/BMW/bmw-manufacturing/dingolfi.htm

your guess is as good as mine. i wouldn't be surprised if they ship the first ones in though, and then move manufacturing to SC if they line takes off (which is unlikely imo, especially with the bmw pricing structure). it's MUCH more profitable to keep the spartansburg plant focused on X5s and roadsters (HUGE MARGINS HOLY SHIT and they sell well in the US) rather than the 1-series which probably won't sell very well here.

Doth Togo

Lucky Forward said:
Heavily camouflaged, of course:

8179_image.jpg

8180_image.jpg

And one that's been cleaned up in Photoshop to approximate the production look:

1018.jpg

Of the recent BMW re-designs, I like this one best. I'd like to see what they do with the coupe version.

I hate the BANGLEized BMWs now. They're fugly.

robox

meh design... doesn't look much different from current ones.

and bmw 1 looks like a mazda 3 on the back end and uglier on the front. not that the US is getting any of those, opting instead to wait for the sedan versions. the sales of the 318t told bmw that. i think americans don't mind attainable, though possibly cheaply built, bmw's, they just don't like to be seen in a hunchback... err hatchback bmw. i don't understand why, though since hatches rule. those europeans are on to something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom