• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Lower Decks characters appear in live action in Strange New Worlds S2

ManaByte

Gold Member

Fw7ehbuWYAA56Cv

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Are these even worth watching? I just wrapped up Picard and it was just ok.

Man I tried to get into Strange New Worlds but couldn't make it more than 2 or 3 episodes. I honestly can't even remember very many specifics about it.

I remember thinking generally the production values were good but the writing was really bad, the dialogue was super cheesy or something and some of the plot points were just idiotic.

All the cast were like caricatures. It felt like a cast of Ubisoft characters or something, it was trying so hard to over-achieve on its representation that it just felt fake and no one was relatable.

I think they were finally at a group dinner or something and the dialogue was so cringey and lots of needless jokes were falling flat... I had to just stop.

The marketing drew me in because it reminded me of TNG, but I don't think it ended up being close to the same tone. Maybe give it an episode if you're really curious but it didn't hit for me.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think the thing turning me off the most with "Nu-trek" is the way they shoot it. All the spinning swooping camera shots, the glaring lights, just the way everyone looks sweaty or whatever. It doesn't "feel" like Trek, which I associate with steady long camera shots, waaaaay fewer edits, and a crisp, clear image. Things should feel measured, professional, and reserved. The J.J. Abrams style just doesn't fit and I can't imagine how much more that style adds to the production costs.

Whenever I get around to re-subbing to P+ I'll have to give SNW a go, maybe Picard S3 as well, but Discovery and S1-2 of picard....NFW. Lower Decks I liked a lot, the hyper kinetic style suits animation more than live action.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I really enjoyed Strange New Worlds, the captain and crew where all classic trek, the production values where out the roof and with the introduction of Below Decks characters in S2, fuck yeah!

ManaByte

Gold Member
I really enjoyed Strange New Worlds, the captain and crew where all classic trek, the production values where out the roof and with the introduction of Below Decks characters in S2, fuck yeah!
SNW Pike is the best version of Pike in Star Trek. And it was awesome seeing the alternate future version of him where he avoided his death and wearing the movie TOS uniform.

People complained that he was too laid back, but those people didn’t get that Pike had the Enterprise for FIFTEEN YEARS before Kirk (three five year missions) and SNW is set towards the end of his time as Captain so he’s been on this ship with most of the crew for over a decade at this point.

Last edited:

Melon Husk

Lower Decks is the best trek show since Enterprise. Happy for Quaid and Newsome.

I think this speaks more about the strength of Lower Decks over Strange New Worlds. Imagine if TNG had a bunch of cartoon characters visiting in its season 2.

All Kurtzman shit.

Pass.
Kurtzman probably has little influence over Lower Decks. He doesn't have the skills to write comedy, and It's the writers who rule in comedy shows.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Lower Decks is the best trek show since Enterprise. Happy for Quaid and Newsome.

I think this speaks more about the strength of Lower Decks over Strange New Worlds. Imagine if TNG had a bunch of cartoon characters visiting in its season 2.

they would do it in the hollow deck.

JayK47

Been watching Lower Decks and I am really enjoying it. Also really enjoyed Strange New Worlds. Glad to see some decent Trek shows again.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Been watching Lower Decks and I am really enjoying it. Also really enjoyed Strange New Worlds. Glad to see some decent Trek shows again.
I don't care for Lower Decks or Discovery, but overall SNW and Picard season 3 are way better than anything Nu-Wars.

Dr. Claus

Banned
Man I tried to get into Strange New Worlds but couldn't make it more than 2 or 3 episodes. I honestly can't even remember very many specifics about it.

I remember thinking generally the production values were good but the writing was really bad, the dialogue was super cheesy or something and some of the plot points were just idiotic.

All the cast were like caricatures. It felt like a cast of Ubisoft characters or something, it was trying so hard to over-achieve on its representation that it just felt fake and no one was relatable.

I think they were finally at a group dinner or something and the dialogue was so cringey and lots of needless jokes were falling flat... I had to just stop.

The marketing drew me in because it reminded me of TNG, but I don't think it ended up being close to the same tone. Maybe give it an episode if you're really curious but it didn't hit for me.

Welcome to Nu-Trek. That is all these shows are.

Zathalus

My two favorites of the new Star Trek shows. I'd put Lower Decks higher then both Voyager and Enterprise even. Strange New Worlds is still early days, but things are positive so far.

Pity about Discovery and most of Picard though.

Top Bottom