• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 Trailer and 2004 Release Now.

"Not to be a spoil sport, but Winter 2004 actually goes through February 2005."

Hil on the IGN Xbox Boards said they moved the game up to 2004 because it looks to be completed sooner than they thought and they didn't want to compete with Jade Empire.

IJoel

CrimsonSkies said:
"Not to be a spoil sport, but Winter 2004 actually goes through February 2005."

Hil on the IGN Xbox Boards said they moved the game up to 2004 because it looks to be completed sooner than they thought and they didn't want to compete with Jade Empire.

OMG HI2U!

I'll believe it when I see it...but if true, that would be really awesome news. Even with all the promising RPGs coming out this year, KOTOR 2 would be near the top of the list.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Deepthroat said:
Wow, that trailer was awesome! I gotta get myself KOTOR soon.

Still havent played that game? /smacks deepthroat
Evil side is the only way to play that game >:D

And i kinda agree with jedimike, much like RE4, "winter2004" likely covers up to march 2005 too.

well, yeah. but i just don't see them talking about fiscal years in a fan-targeted trailer.

Its always been like that, publishers are companies, when they give a rough estimate such as a full quarter, they use fiscal ones.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Must have now!! Easily my favorite new franchise.... keep making this series.... keep bringing me joy!!!

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
IJoel said:
Battle for 2004 RPG of the Year:

Fable vs. SW: KotOR2

FIGHT!

KoTOR wins in a first round TKO

My opinion of course!! You can be a girl!! and a brother in KoTOR

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
winter could extend into 05. winter 04? no.

that trailer makes me hot. god damn kotor was a great game.

Joe

it would be cool if we could bring our characters on xbox live and fight other people's character.

epmode said:
now that's just crazy. "this winter" goes through 2005. "winter 2004" doesn't.

winter begins on the "shortest day" of the year, December 21 or 22, and lasts until March 20 or 22, the beginning of spring.

IJoel

ManaByte said:
At the Comic Con Star Wars presentation Lucasfilm and Lucasarts said DECEMBER for the release date.

2003%20song%20contest%20celebration.jpg

I loved KOTOR! This doesn't look hot! All I see is dark environments and reused skins from KOTOR! Jade Empire > KOTOR2

Whos developing this?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Doom_Bringer said:
I loved KOTOR! This doesn't look hot! All I see is dark environments and reused skins from KOTOR! Jade Empire > KOTOR2

Whos developing this?

God. Otherwise known as Obsidian or the makers of PLANESCAPE FUCKING TORMENT.

hobart

The production trailer that gametrailers.com had left little to be desired. You could even tell by the way the developer was describing the game that A LOT is going to be a rehashing of the first...

...this isn't necessarily a problem tho... stick with what works.

What will make this game stand alone from the first one is, of course, the direction that the story takes (as well as providing interesting and unique side quests). Golly... this sounds all too familiar doesn't it? :)

On a small side note... for any that remember me and my periodic posts... it's good to finally be back. Love the new forums.

Mashing

ManaByte said:
God. Otherwise known as Obsidian or the makers of PLANESCAPE FUCKING TORMENT.

As much as I splooge over P:T, I can't be excited about Obsidian considering the have at most 3 or 4 of the BIS staff responsible for that game.

I am confident they will make a good game though, no doubt there. I just can't proclaim it the BEST RPG EVER just yet until they actually eclipse P:T.

Looks like they concentrated on adding feats, force powers, and new faces to the game (remember all the reused faces).

Xbox may never have another christmas season without Xbox 2, so I'd be trying to hit it too. Probably another 100K sales for landing before the holidays.

No, he had it right the first time. KOTOR 2 shall be RPG of the year, and Jade Empire will be best game of next year (assuming BG3 doesn't come out then).

Fowler

Awesome. Just... awesome. And that's without the whole 2004 thing (pleasebetruepleasebetruepleasebetrue).

And Mana, look at your PMs!

CrimsonSkies said:

TRANSLATION: "We cut shit out of KOTOR2 in order to move up the release date so we didn't compete with our other damn game." :p

IJoel

Mr_Furious said:
TRANSLATION: "We cut shit out of KOTOR2 in order to move up the release date so we didn't compete with our other damn game." :p

Jade Empire = Bioware+MS
SW: KotOR2 = Obsidian+LucasArts

KotOR 2 development had tons of assets already done for the game (sounds, some music, game engine, etc.) They only had to focus on story and tweaking existing assets plus some additional sound/voice work.

By the time the game is released, there will be close to 1.5 years from the first game. Most games take around 2 years. Considering the existing assets and the developers, I don't really have any concerns in terms of content.

jiji said:
KOTOR2 is being developed by Obsidian for LucasArts. Bioware's release schedule has nothing to do with it. :p

IJoel said:
Jade Empire = Bioware+MS
SW: KotOR2 = Obsidian+LucasArts

KotOR 2 development had tons of assets already done for the game (sounds, some music, game engine, etc.) They only had to focus on story and tweaking existing assets plus some additional sound/voice work.

It's my understanding that Obsidian is developing the game for Bioware who in turn is delivering it to LA. Obsidian is an exclusive 2nd party contracted to Biorware I believe.

In this month's play, the developper says the PC port will come out at the same time as the Xbox game.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I hope they dont rush it to get in before Jade Empire, though i can see why they need to, Jade Empire makes KOTOR2 look like crap graphically and in terms of gameplay Bioware have purposely tried to 1up KOTOR.

Obsidian said back when the game was unvieled that the KOTOR1 models were just place holders, all the enviroments made for E3 were just that, they weren't from the actual story, the main purpose of the E3 demo was to show off some of the new force powers, and not spoil the game, so i dont expect to be disapointed with the enviroments or the npc models. Though the sudden 2 month early release has me a little worried.

BuddyC

Ghost said:
I hope they dont rush it to get in before Jade Empire, though i can see why they need to, Jade Empire makes KOTOR2 look like crap graphically and in terms of gameplay Bioware have purposely tried to 1up KOTOR.

Obsidian said back when the game was unvieled that the KOTOR1 models were just place holders, all the enviroments made for E3 were just that, they weren't from the actual story, the main purpose of the E3 demo was to show off some of the new force powers, and not spoil the game, so i dont expect to be disapointed with the enviroments or the npc models. Though the sudden 2 month early release has me a little worried.

D'oh, that's part of the reason I avoided KOTOR2 at E3.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
That trailer was incredible.

Look, if Obsidian has done nothing else but provide a brand new, full-fledged story with the existing graphics tweaked up slightly, I'll be lining up on launch day for my copy. The original's pedigree is THAT DAMN GOOD.

Jesus, I'm quoting HHH now.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking hell...this year?! I can't buy/play all of this shit people!

KOTOR2 goes straight to the number one spot on my Christmas list, though.

Prine

Banned
KOTOR is still my game of this generation, that trailer has indeed put to rest any fears i had with Obsidian handling the sequel.

This year? Wow

Top Bottom