• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws PC Features Revealed

Topher

Gold Member
Star Wars Outlaws PC Features

Ray-traced global illumination, reflections, and shadows
NVIDIA RTX dynamic illumination (RTXDI) Support
NVIDIA DLSS 3.5 support (ray reconstruction, Frame Generation, Super Resolution)
Intel XESS 1.3 and AMD FSR 3.0 (upscaling and frame generation) support
In-depth customization options
Uncapped frame rate
21:9 Cinematic Display Mode
Multi-monitor and ultrawide support

SWO_PC_Specs_Flashcard_FINAL.jpg

DryvBy DryvBy posted the PC recommended specs previously. This is more to highlight the features PC gamers can expect in the game. I know some will welcome the ultrawide monitor support.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
21:9 "cinematic mode"? What about us with 32:9 monitors?

Perrott

I love the way Massive takes full advantage of the PC platform with exclusive features and technology the same way Crytek or DICE used to do 10 to 15 years ago.
21:9 "cinematic mode"? What about us with 32:9 monitors?
The "21:9 Cinematic Mode" is aimed at users with 16:9 displays who want to play it in ultra-wide with black bars on top and bottom, like The Order 1886. A similar feature is also present in the PS5 and PC versions of Death Stranding Director's Cut.

Proper ultra wide support is also in Star Wars Outlaws, and is highlighted separately from this feature.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I love the way Massive takes full advantage of the PC platform with exclusive features and technology the same way Crytek or DICE used to do 10 to 15 years ago.
Same. For all the shit we give Ubisoft, their games tend to run well. No shader compilation garbage, no important feature missing, and tons of recent tech to take advantage of PCs. It's too bad they're all bland.

Only a few devs like CDPR, Remedy, 4A Games and a handful of others take advantage of modern PC GPUs.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It allows to combine frame generation with DLSS, XESS and TAA. Standard 3.0 only has FG working with FSR (that can look like ass sometimes).

Why would you want to do that......if you can framegen with DLSS, why would you use FSR?

• NVIDIA RTX dynamic illumination (RTXDI) Support
Interesting. Did we have games with this before?

Portal, Cyberpunk and I think Dying Light 2 (i seem to remember arbitrary geometry and emissive surfaces being uses as shadowcasting lights when rt is enabled), but it doesn't have that many light sources so it isnt as heavy, ill boot it up and double check later.

Black_Stride

For non-Ada owners? They get DLSS but without frame generation. FSR frame generation gives them the option.

Literally forgot DLSS FrameGen doesnt work on pre-Ada GPUs.
That still hasnt been hacked?

BlackTron

65 GB…You can have 3 SW:Outlaws for 1 GoWR

Can I get the textures they use on Switch and just run it at higher settings with a mouse on PC or I really gotta download all that shit?

(Yes, I know I gotta dl all that shit)

Edit: Uh nevermind I got this mixed up with Star Wars Hunters for a minute.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Why would you want to do that......if you can framegen with DLSS, why would you use FSR?

Portal, Cyberpunk and I think Dying Light 2 (i seem to remember arbitrary geometry and emissive surfaces being uses as shadowcasting lights when rt is enabled), but it doesn't have that many light sources so it isnt as heavy, ill boot it up and double check later.

I played all of those but dont remember seeing RTXDI unless thats just another word for path tracing?

Black_Stride

I played all of those but dont remember seeing RTXDI unless thats just another word for path tracing?

RTXDI just lets devs use a bunch of RT lights without the general high cost of having so many lights contribute.
Its actually more of a backend thing than being front and center, cuz chances are if they use RTXDI then they dont have the option to NOT use RTXDI when RT is on.
Generally emissive materials wont actually contribute and be shadow casting and have to be "optimized" by turning off some of the shadow casting lights.

You can check in Cyberpunk if you turnoff Overdrive some of the emissive wont actually cast shadows, but at full tilt basically every light is contributing.
Portal almost certainly does have every emissive material contributing.

Blurb of RTXDI:
RTXDI enables hundreds of ray traced lights per scene, all shadow casting ray traced shadows, with area lights, point lights and emissive properties .. the shadow cast are ray traced soft shadows as well. RTXDI renders those lights in a single pass, significantly boosting performance .. Traditional ray tracing lights and shadows are much slower in comparison. Obviously raster has much less visual capabilities, shadow casting lights use shadow maps, and the lights has to be culled and even streamed according to distance, because otherwise raster can't handle this many lights.

i cant remember if Dying Light 2 specifically uses RTXDI, but I know alot of the emissive materials contribute.
There isnt actually a light in the room, its just an emissive material on the "glass".....hand placing all these lights and optomizing the scene would be a bitch in an open world game.
With RTXDI devs effectively dont have to worry about how many lights are in a scene as the cost of lets say 10 lights(usually thats how many hero lights you would have) is the same as 100 lights.

ijS0cDY.png

In fact all things equal RTXDI is faster than NOT having RT at all.....I know it seemingly doesnt make sense, but alot of lights in traditional raster actually dont cast any shadows so dont cost much, they simply glow but dont have any of the properties of actual light.

Top Bottom