• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starcraft 1 noobs

I downloaded SC1 about a week ago to see if I should be excited for 2, and I've totally fallen in love with it. Unfortunately, as everyone is probably aware, there's basically no competition for new players on Battle.net, so I thought I'd make a thread here if anyone else in a similar position, although with the popularity of the game I'm assuming that this has been attempted and either failed or lasted awhile and interest died out since there's not a thread already.

Anyway, I'm still very, very new to the game, which is also the first RTS I've played (just recently upgraded my computer beyond integrated graphics for the first time and never even tried to do even light gaming like this on it before), but I feel like I'm learning pretty fast, so if there's anyone who considers themselves decent at the game I think I can probably hold my own for awhile.

This is the first time I've made one of these and like the second time I've ever been to this forum, so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to come out with some tentative game times or whatever, but since I'm not sure what interest will be so I'll just leave it open for people to say if they're interested.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
dr3upmushroom said:
Anyway, I'm still very, very new to the game, which is also the first RTS I've played (just recently upgraded my computer beyond integrated graphics for the first time and never even tried to do even light gaming like this on it before), but I feel like I'm learning pretty fast, so if there's anyone who considers themselves decent at the game I think I can probably hold my own for awhile.

The bolded is likely to be false. I don't mean this to insult you, I'm just saying that Starcraft has a huge skill breadth. You would probably die in a real multiplayer match within minutes.

My suggestion for you is to play through all the campaigns without cheats. Then, study up on StarCraft 2 and work your skills on that instead. The time frame for you to play SC1 multiplayer has pretty much passed if you're a newbie.

ZealousD said:
The bolded is likely to be false. I don't mean this to insult you, I'm just saying that Starcraft has a huge skill breadth. You would probably die in a real multiplayer match within minutes.

My suggestion for you is to play through all the campaigns without cheats. Then, study up on StarCraft 2 and work your skills on that instead. The time frame for you to play SC1 multiplayer has pretty much passed if you're a newbie.
Yeah, I know, I just thought it'd be fun to play a few matches if anyone else in a similar situation of checking out the first game in anticipation of 2.

When I said I felt like I'm learning fast, I just meant that I'm learning build order, can do some simple micro, and stuff like that. I'm past the "hoard resources, make army, move them all into opponents base" phase and can play in a semi-interesting way.

I have been playing the campaign a bit, but, as I've been hearing is the case, it doesn't seem like it's useful at all for learning how to play multi. I'm three-fourths of the way through the Zerg campaign and as soon as Guardian were unlocked I've been able to breeze through every mission by making about six of those and a group of Mutalisks and just blowing through bases.

Anyways, I figured there wouldn't be much interest, but thanks for replying at least.

Top Bottom