• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam adds Game Recording.

Holammer

Available now in the Steam Beta client.
Record on demand with the press of a hot key or record continuously in the background. Also works on Steam Deck.

They also teased a new Steam branded HORI controller.

0240d7ebffa5cb94fb75c1d71b3ba561.jpg

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Wonder if they get a rewind record. Best feature I use on Xbox, just hit guide button +x and you video capture the last 30 seconds. Makes it so you don't have to record anything, but then if something cool happens grab it and you can make gifs and stuff.

Last edited:

Shakka43

I use the Xbox Game Bar tool to record the last 5 minutes when gaming but having a Steam native feature sounds much better, it working for Steam Deck even more.

Last edited:

ssringo

Be great if the controller also had a symmetrical stick layout variation. I find it much easier do claw grip stuff with that layout. Like in Elden Ring moving with my thumb while changing stuff with the d-pad using my index finger.

Holammer

Well, it works, but I can't for the life of me get it to record in-game audio for some reason.
That's why it's a beta.

Durin

Well, it works, but I can't for the life of me get it to record in-game audio for some reason.
That's why it's a beta.

Thankfully the speed on updates with features on Steam, especially anything that is also for the Deck, is pretty fast. I would expect this will be decent by the time it hits stable.

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
The Hori controller looks angled flat like it might be uncomfortable to hold. Wonder if this does audio for that guy in the thread this morning looking for a new PC controller.

Now to check the Epic Store for all the new features they could be adding. :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Why? Last time I used that it was kind of an arduous process of fucking around with their overlay
It automatically saves kills and highlights in some games, and to save a rewind Clip or start recording you just press keys, same for the performance monitoring
I don't open the overlay

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
wtf is that controller LMAO!

Unless it has pressure sensitive face buttons, it's just another generic controller in a sea of mediocrity.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Oh shit that controller looks excellent! I'm definitely gonna get one to try. I'm a sucker for new controllers.

Laptop1991

It's about time to be honest for Steam, will it affect game play though, i hope not or most will still use Shadowplay.

Sophist

That's neat. Wonder if there's any impact on performance while it records.

Nothing has ever been able to beat Nvidia Shadowplay because it's integrated with the GPU video encoder unit for lowest performance hit and also it has by far the best quality output

nvidia shadowplay is relying on NVENC for recording. NVENC is also available on OBS and will also be used by Steam for recording.
The interesting feature that Steam is offering here is the timeline that developers may use to record events. For example, if you win a round 1vs3 in counter-strike, an event may be added to the timeline.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
"new Steam branded-"

Excited Friday GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

"hori controller"

nothing-food.gif

hope it at least is supported like a Steam Controller and has gyro....

Last edited:
I mean this is cool but if it doesn't offer as much configuration control as OBS (it won't) then I don't see me using it. Convenience be damned.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

Not the most attractive controller I've ever seen, but I think I see back buttons peaking out behind the green one so that's good. Sooner back buttons become standard on controllers the better.
I'm just disappointed that Valve didn't decide to make this themselves after their excellent work on the steam deck control scheme. This is already looking worse than steam deck control just going off of the lack of touchpads.

I hope it at least behaves like a Steam Controller and not Xbox so all the Steam Input features can be properly supported. It'd definitely be worth a buy then, but as it stands now.

nvidia shadowplay is relying on NVENC for recording. NVENC is also available on OBS and will also be used by Steam for recording.
The interesting feature that Steam is offering here is the timeline that developers may use to record events. For example, if you win a round 1vs3 in counter-strike, an event may be added to the timeline.
I know all this but somehow it always works better with Shadowplay

But yes if you're streaming them OBS does offer a much better feature set for that than Nvidia's apps

That's neat. Wonder if there's any impact on performance while it records.

Probably. But then that should be expected, and if you have a strong enough rig you won't notice any perceptible performance loss.

Though that will also probably depend on your game settings.

Anyway, this is a pretty neat feature of them to add. Integrating these functions into one platform vs. needing separate dedicated applications running simultaneously to do the same (which could create memory leakage and utility conflicts, plus use up more system resources like RAM & CPU/GPU background processing) is always the preferable method.

Now maybe SIE and Microsoft will add integrated forum communities to their own platforms (don't hold your breath on that :/)

Filben

Anyone tested it enough already to say something about performance impact? That's one big plus of Shadowplay, but it's not that reliable since it doesn't work in Windowed Borderless mode last time I've used it, because it was thinking I want to record my desktop.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
8000 yen is like < 50 eur. Noice. With gyro, back buttons & everything. Wish it had 6 face buttons...
Hori is ace, Idk why folks are upset, I'm rocking a Fighting Commander for emu/2D/fighting stuff...
01_hpc-055_aplus.jpg
03_hpc-055_aplus.jpg

Last edited:

Larxia

Available now in the Steam Beta client.
Record on demand with the press of a hot key or record continuously in the background. Also works on Steam Deck.

They also teased a new Steam branded HORI controller.

Just found out the controller doesn't even have any rumble support, strange.

CS Lurker

I'll continue to use Nvidia's shadowplay, but it's nice to have it on steam too.

About the Hori controller, I liked it. But It must have the hall sense, otherwise there's no reason to even consider buying one.

pepodmc_

Nothing has ever been able to beat Nvidia Shadowplay because it's integrated with the GPU video encoder unit for lowest performance hit and also it has by far the best quality output

In terms of lowest performance hit + quality output yeah.

But obs can get far better quality than shadowplay if you know which options you must change/enable. The performance hit is higher but the recording quality is a lot higher

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I'm just disappointed that Valve didn't decide to make this themselves after their excellent work on the steam deck control scheme. This is already looking worse than steam deck control just going off of the lack of touchpads.

I hope it at least behaves like a Steam Controller and not Xbox so all the Steam Input features can be properly supported. It'd definitely be worth a buy then, but as it stands now.

They could have done a lot worse than Hori. But yeah, it's got to be geared towards Steam features.

Holammer

Got it working with sound, nobody seemed to have sound problems on the Steam forums and it got me thinking. Yes, my Steam client was set to mute in the volume mixer for some inexplicable reason, *I* was the problem all along.
Also recorded some gameplay of Splatoon 3's Side Order to try something more demanding, worked great without a hitch. So non-Steam games & software works fine too, but you don't see the start/end record pop-ups.

Note how Steam's framerate overlay in the top left corner and the mouse cursor are still visible.

Dawg give it up. PC is PC consoles are consoles

IMO that doesn't mean consoles have to stop adding common-sense features and options for console owners.

Especially if those console owners are worried about more customers going to PC in the future. Which is already something that's been happening gradually over time since the end of 7th gen :/

8000 yen is like < 50 eur. Noice. With gyro, back buttons & everything. Wish it had 6 face buttons...
Hori is ace, Idk why folks are upset, I'm rocking a Fighting Commander for emu/2D/fighting stuff...
01_hpc-055_aplus.jpg
03_hpc-055_aplus.jpg

Yeah they've got a great rep with fight sticks. Not sure what the complaints about their controllers are.

Top Bottom