• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmithnCo

Most of the Achievements in Poker Night are based on luck.

You can trick the AI somewhat, but yeah for most of them it's just annoying. This winter achievement one looks that way.

I hope a lot of these games have a good sale because I might try to get some of these achievements.

MRORANGE

you can get Psychonauts achievement by setting your pc clock to the 25th December and buy anything from the camp store. Cheapest item is like 10

So LTTP but I decided to try that wasted on steam site:
starwolf_uk
Has logged 107.9 hours of playtime — that's 4 days, 11 hours, and 54 minutes, with most of the time being spent playing Everyday Genius: SquareLogic, which accounts for 35.0% of their playtime
Yeiks. I spent more time playing Xenoblade Chronicles in 3 weeks than I did my steam account in nearly a year.

1-D_FTW

Taking a break from downloading my haul. Nice to have my internet not choking from Steam taking all the bandwidth. 4 down, 4 to go:)

Rage is +1 in my book.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just played Sanctum for the first time to knock out the Christmas achievement. It's neat. It's an FPS-Tower Defence. I like that in between waves you have an unlimited amount of time to plan your upgrades. Being resource-limited makes much more sense than being time-limited. The graphics aren't bad and are pretty comfortably in the "strange alien planet" theme. I feel like I could play 4-5 hours of it before I got bored.

The achievement was pretty easy. Every so often there'd be an enemy with a christmas hat on it; kill it and it drops a present. 10 presents (you can get them over multiple maps) and you get the achievement. It took me one map and one wave to get the presents, or what felt like about 20 minutes.

It's not really my genre, honestly, but if you like the genre, I think you'd like the game.

Vamphuntr

Anyone got the christmas achievements for E.Y.E and Cave Story+? I'm still looking but can't find them and they appear on their respective achievement list so they should be unlockable.

Baha

Anyone got the christmas achievements for E.Y.E and Cave Story+? I'm still looking but can't find them and they appear on their respective achievement list so they should be unlockable.

For the E.Y.E one (getting a dropped gift), I had to play till the 2nd mission where you're in a city section till an enemy dropped a gift. For Cave Story+, playing on Dec 25th changes certain sprites but so far no one knows what the requirement for the achievement is so far.

iavi

All signs point to Monday.

Edit: But don't worry. You only have to contend with the Daily Deals. Everyone knows the golden rule.

Only buy on the final day if it isn't a Daily Deal.

This is what confuses me about the golden rule, don't the sale items rotate out with some never showing up again? Iirc, that's how all the sales I've taken part of so far have been.

filipe

So getting a majority of these achievements, what does that do for me? Is there any point? I've never really cared about getting achievements last Christmas Sale, so I'm a little lost.

This is what confuses me about the golden rule, don't the sale items rotate out with some never showing up again? Iirc, that's how all the sales I've taken part of so far have been.

The daily deals rotate but not all games on sale get a daily deal. Don't buy a game if it's not a daily deal. By the last day there will obviously be no more cheaper daily deals so you can go ahead with your purchase.

Vamphuntr

For the E.Y.E one (getting a dropped gift), I had to play till the 2nd mission where you're in a city section till an enemy dropped a gift. For Cave Story+, playing on Dec 25th changes certain sprites but so far no one knows what the requirement for the achievement is so far.

Damn I will start a new game in E.Y.E then. I will continue looking for the Cave Story one :)

Thanks for your help!

SmithnCo

I'm basically restarting over and over in Poker Night until I have at least one king, but even if I somehow manage to get dealt two it's still a long shot.

In short, this achievement blows.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

The whole site goes on sale. More than a thousand games will be discounted. Discounts range from 10%-90+%.

Of those, 12-15 are typically chosen per day to be spotlighted deals for that day only. Most of the daily deals are 50%+, but there are sometimes weaker deals for recent full retail releases. The items featured on daily deals are also on sale for the rest of the sale, but at a reduced discount. For example, an item that is 50% off might be featured for one day for 75%.

So if you want a game, and it's not a daily deal right now, you should probably wait until the end of the sale and by it then. That way, if it's a daily deal tomorrow or the next day or the day after that, you get the best price possible, but if it's never featured, pick it up on the last day.

Often the final day has "best of" deals from prior days, but generally if something is a daily deal you should treat that as your only chance to get that level of discount.

The only time the discounts change for non-daily deals is when there's a pricing error. Those are fairly rare but not non-existent. I can think of a few (The Witcher 1 is probably the best example ever).

Oreoleo

Damn I will start a new game in E.Y.E then. I will continue looking for the Cave Story one :)

Thanks for your help!

The Temple HQ basically serves as a hub world for the stages. After you beat a level you can always go back to that level later to do optional side missions. Starting the game over isn't necessary, but hey! Do what you want!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What are the best racing games on Steam, outside Trackmania United? I'm not into sims but I also tend to dislike things that over rely on motion blur boosting gauge type deals and nearly auto correct your driving when you mess up instead of let you crash/reverse etc. The racing genre page on Steam doesn't show many interesting things.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How do we know it is a contest for acheevs?

No one knows anything about anything.

What are the best racing games on Steam, outside Trackmania United? I'm not into sims but I also tend to dislike things that over rely on motion blur boosting gauge type deals and nearly auto correct your driving when you mess up instead of let you crash/reverse etc. The racing genre page on Steam doesn't show many interesting things.

What kind of racing? I think Blur is quite a good game, but it's more in the kart racing genre than arcade racing or sim. A lot of people would put Burnout Paradise near the top, but again that's pretty arcadey. The original Test Drive Unlimited is well liked for its mixture of a huge open world and racing. RACE 07 is pretty old but was well received for more of a Sim perspective--SimBin as a company in general is seen as doing good work.

Oreoleo

I thought Dirt 2 was quite good. I generally loathe sim type racing games, but Dirt's handling model struck a nice balance for me.

iavi

The daily deals rotate but not all games on sale get a daily deal. Don't buy a game if it's not a daily deal. By the last day there will obviously be no more cheaper daily deals so you can go ahead with your purchase.

The whole site goes on sale. More than a thousand games will be discounted. Discounts range from 10%-90+%.

Of those, 12-15 are typically chosen per day to be spotlighted deals for that day only. Most of the daily deals are 50%+, but there are sometimes weaker deals for recent full retail releases. The items featured on daily deals are also on sale for the rest of the sale, but at a reduced discount. For example, an item that is 50% off might be featured for one day for 75%.

So if you want a game, and it's not a daily deal right now, you should probably wait until the end of the sale and by it then. That way, if it's a daily deal tomorrow or the next day or the day after that, you get the best price possible, but if it's never featured, pick it up on the last day.

Often the final day has "best of" deals from prior days, but generally if something is a daily deal you should treat that as your only chance to get that level of discount.

The only time the discounts change for non-daily deals is when there's a pricing error. Those are fairly rare but not non-existent. I can think of a few (The Witcher 1 is probably the best example ever).

This clears things up completely. Thanks, guys. Daily deals it is.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
But how low will it go?
Further. Wait.

More importantly, there's a strong chance it's either not really my thing or even if it is I'd just ignore it for forever. Kind of the problem in general with Steam sales really.
The demo is fairly extensive. You will know if you like it or not.

I, for one, need to get through complete versions of Medieval 2, Empire, and Napoleon. No need to be getting Shogun 2 for some time now. I would prefer ancient China to ancient Japan, anyway.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yeah, I meant arcadey, just not completely out of the realm of real racing in implementation. Like Daytona style, but less arcadey would be good too as long as it's not a full sim. Although if they're true classics like Outrun I wouldn't mind playing super arcadey stuff with the sort of driving aids I mentioned I dislike either. I thought Real Racing 2 on iOS was a pretty neat "looks like a bit like a sim but is rather simple to play and quite fun" racing game too for example.

How is the recent Race Injection, same series as 07 you mentioned I think and seems to have all sorts of different style races.

Just got Shogun 2 gifted to me, and I´m not sure that I want to win the daily wishlist giveaway now. I don´t think I can find 10 games on Steam right now that I actually want, and don´t already own. :p

Sober

Further. Wait.

I, for one, need to get through complete versions of Medieval 2, Empire, and Napoleon. No need to be getting Shogun 2 for some time now. I would prefer ancient China to ancient Japan, anyway.
Yes I think the Shogun 2 demo is by far the best since it lets you try out some of the campaign elements rather than the previous games with "here is a semi-tutorial battle and a historical battle". Back then you really had to gamble on trying a TW game to see if you liked it.

I've only put like 40 hours into Rome, Medieval 2 and Empire so I have a way to go too. Shogun 2 will definitely go cheaper eventually.

Eusis

Guess I either need to give the demo another shot or just skip period, wasn't impressed last time I tried but I may just be more impatient with a demo than I would be a full game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom