• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gez said:
I reckon i have downloaded this bloody game like 50gig's worth when it should only be like 100 meg patches.

Be glad if it actually works for you after that. I've already crossed the 50gig threshold with this one. Bought and played through it at release, figured I'd reinstall it for the 2.0 patch. After the downloading the game, I get the conversion thing which redownloads it all. And then when I try to actually run it, it gives me an error which says something about the installation being in an incorrect directory or something like that. I don't even know what I'm supposed to do about that... it's not like I have any control over which directory Steam installs it in. Finally gave up on the game, one playthrough is all it'll ever get from me.

ezekial45 said:
Just a heads up, but on Capcom Unity they posted that DMC3-4 and RE5 will be on sale over the weekend.

RE5 will be $10, just wait. Capcom is always JUST off with their sale pricing. If it was $5, I'd definitely bite, but $10 is stretching it just a bit too much with all of the holiday releases coming up.

NBtoaster

I'll get RE5 if it's 7.50. I don't have a particular drive to buy it given the co op focus and never played a Resident Evil before.

Tomodachi

DyslexicAlucard said:
RE5 will be $10, just wait. Capcom is always JUST off with their sale pricing. If it was $5, I'd definitely bite, but $10 is stretching it just a bit too much with all of the holiday releases coming up.
Same here. Already played it on PS3, would like to see it at 1080p on my pc but for no more than 5$.
DMC4 on the other hand... I could bite since the old DMCs are coming out in HD on PS3 and I still have to play them all (4 included) and since I remember seeing it for really cheap in past sales.

Devil May Cry 4 is a fantastic port, 3 on the other hand... I don't own it but I've heard not so good things about it (same with Onimusha). Can someone confirm?

RE5 I'm really not interested in.

Mr_Zombie

Glass Rebel said:
Devil May Cry 4 is a fantastic port, 3 on the other hand... I don't own it but I've heard not so good things about it (same with Onimusha). Can someone confirm?

DMC3 lacks some graphical effects and during gameplay all shadows for characters and enemies are just black circles like in old RE titles (on screenshots on game's box characters have proper shadows so I suppose that's how it should look in-game).

The game also runs only in 4:3 (there's a hack to force widescreen, but everything is stretched then of course). All FMVs are in not-so-good quality - it isn't a RE4 PC type of disaster (where all movies had washed out colors) but it isn't good either. Also, at least that's what happens in my game, subtitles run slower then cut-scenes - they are not synchronized.

And the last thing - just like in RE4 PC you have generic gamepad buttons icons (ie. "1", "2", "3" etc.) so at first it's hard to tell what button does what. I also had a problem with configuring one gamepad (old Saitek model), even after applying the patch; it kept replacing left stick's Y axis with X axis and vice versa.

If all those things don't bother you (and you manage to make your gamepad work properly) it's still an amazing game beneath the so-so port, so if someone hasn't played it yet and doesn't have X360/PS3 for the HD port, I would still recommend the game.

MRORANGE

I would avoid getting any capcom games made before DMC4 and buy any game DMC4 and upwards, since that point they used multi-platform engine which actually supported pc and not just exported there console build to some other publisher. (look at RE4)

Gvaz

Banned
spindoctor said:
Be glad if it actually works for you after that. I've already crossed the 50gig threshold with this one. Bought and played through it at release, figured I'd reinstall it for the 2.0 patch. After the downloading the game, I get the conversion thing which redownloads it all. And then when I try to actually run it, it gives me an error which says something about the installation being in an incorrect directory or something like that. I don't even know what I'm supposed to do about that... it's not like I have any control over which directory Steam installs it in. Finally gave up on the game, one playthrough is all it'll ever get from me.
Do you know how to computers?

It doesn't install it to a specific unknown directory, steam downloads the files to a directory in steamapps/common/*foldername* within the location steam was installed to and then just adds the game to the registry . If it's in the wrong folder, just move it to the right one.

Did you try deleting clientregistry.blob? Really snuggler can you put this in the top of the OP for future reference for anyone having steam issues:

Steam doesn't work/run/make me breakfast, why?
Delete ClientRegistry.blob and restart. Still does it? Do it again.
It's still not working!
Delete everything but steamapps and reinstall to that folder.

MNC

Caerith said:
DL5UG.jpg

This is heavy.
Okay that's really neat.

edit: fuck double post :(

Echoplx

Gvaz said:
Do you know how to computers?

It doesn't install it to a specific unknown directory, steam downloads the files to a directory in steamapps/common/*foldername* within the location steam was installed to and then just adds the game to the registry . If it's in the wrong folder, just move it to the right one.

Did you try deleting clientregistry.blob? Really snuggler can you put this in the top of the OP for future reference for anyone having steam issues:

Steam doesn't work/run/make me breakfast, why?
Delete ClientRegistry.blob and restart. Still does it? Do it again.
It's still not working!
Delete everything but steamapps and reinstall to that folder.

I can appreciate what you're trying to do with this post but in this case it really is the game, The Witcher 2 is completely fucked on Steam. Late release, huge patches, broken overlay and when they tried to fix it by changing the content delivery method it just resulted in another huge download.

Derrick01

Banned
spindoctor said:

Yeah I had quite a few problems with Witcher 2 after the 2.0 patch and the conversion but nothing like you guys. I was able to actually play and complete it again but I ran into several annoying glitches and they definitely broke the steam overlay, which is annoying because I didn't know when I unlocked achievements and I couldn't take screenshots.

MNC

Trying the character creation demo is really fun, lots of options that make your character actually look different (looking at you mass effect!)

and I freaking love the hair physics. Screw boob physics, hair physics are the next gen.

Gvaz

Banned
3chopl0x said:
I can appreciate what you're trying to do with this post but in this case it really is the game, The Witcher 2 is completely fucked on Steam. Late release, huge patches, broken overlay and when they tried to fix it by changing the content delivery method it just resulted in another huge download.
At risk of sounding like an asshat, but I bought the game on day 1 (preordered, really) and later on never had those issues at all.

I'm sorry everyone else did :(

AEREC

ugh...I use steam at home and at work and for some reason it always randomly screws up my categories, I had 400+ games categorized and now thats all wiped because I logged into steam on my work computer and for some reason it didnt have my categories set up so it erased them all on my home computer.

Is there any way to make it stop doing this?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Chairhome said:
I believe that's the fake picture. The year he goes to is 2015.
You did not pay enough attention to the movie. The Original trip was supposed to be to 2010, then Doc starts showing off other dates he can go to, like the Birth of Christ, or the day he came up with time Travail, and leaves it on the 1955 one when the terrorists come.

Got my Renegade Ops key from GMG. Does this mean it'll be released today?

Edit: I just saw that I still got keys for the Duke Nukem Forever DLC and Frozen Synapse. Quote and say which one you want.

Chairhome

Drkirby said:
You did not pay enough attention to the movie. The Original trip was supposed to be to 2010, then Doc starts showing off other dates he can go to, like the Birth of Christ, or the day he came up with time Travail, and leaves it on the 1955 one when the terrorists come.
Well, you did not pay attention to fact checking, cause in this clip, it shows that that date never showed up in the movie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcZjxFI9J-c
I still love you, and I wouldn't have known that if you didn't say the above

What's dumb for me is that I was looking at the wrong date, I didn't notice the person who posted the image was talking about the "present" date being Oct. 26, which is today. That's pretty cool!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Gvaz said:
What's gemini rue?

It's a point-and-click cyberpunk adventure game. I've heard a lot of really good things about it and as a fan of Beneath a Steel Sky, I'm really interested in it personally.

It is also notable because it is a game that Steam had decline to admit to their service a few months back. It showing up shows a shifting attitude at Valve towards both point-and-clicks and indie games.

So good new all around!

morningbus

I declare the phrase "Renegade Ops time" be entered into the vernacular. It is similar to "Valve time," but the delays only serve to piss its customer base off. Unlike "Valve time," which, while aggravating, result in a vastly superior product, "Renegade Ops time" does not seem to affect the actual game outside of simple superficial additions.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
morningbus said:
It's a point-and-click cyberpunk adventure game. I've heard a lot of really good things about it and as a fan of Beneath a Steel Sky, I'm really interested in it personally.

It is also notable because it is a game that Steam had decline to admit to their service a few months back. It showing up shows a shifting attitude at Valve towards both point-and-clicks and indie games.

So good new all around!

I've noticed that Steam doesn't have nearly the selection of point and click adventures as The Adventure Shop, which is strange considering they don't seem to have this problem in a lot of other genres. There are a lot of games I want, but I've been hesitant to buy them from The Adventure Shop since I don't want to spread my digital collection over too many sites. I would be quite happy if Steam starts adding more point and clicks (I've noticed quite a few older additions this past year, I hope it continues.)

epmode

Gemini Rue is good. That Blackwell series from the same publisher/developer is even better.

It's nice to see that these guys are finally on Steam though! It sure took a long time.

(Steam codes for previous owners pls)

morningbus

Lissar said:
I've noticed that Steam doesn't have nearly the selection of point and click adventures as The Adventure Shop, which is strange considering they don't seem to have this problem in a lot of other genres. There are a lot of games I want, but I've been hesitant to buy them from The Adventure Shop since I don't want to spread my digital collection over too many sites. I would be quite happy if Steam starts adding more point and clicks (I've noticed quite a few older additions this past year, I hope it continues.)

To be fair to Valve, there is a glut of point-and-click adventure games that don't really have a place on Steam. They're often fairly cheap looking, or otherwise low quality, and ask for fairly steep prices, like $25.00 for something that is done in flash or that adventure game maker engine.

I can admit this and I'm a fan of adventure games.

Sanic

Glass Rebel said:
Got my Renegade Ops key from GMG. Does this mean it'll be released today?

Edit: I just saw that I still got keys for the Duke Nukem Forever DLC and Frozen Synapse. Quote and say which one you want.

FS still available? Didn't see anyone quote you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom