• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
My Walking Dead Survival Instinct gifts lost their icons. This may mean that the game will be removed shortly
or it can just be a bug

Arthea

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV: everyday is Tuesday
STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 4 the love of offline
STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV: you are not online
STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV: check your connections
STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV: everything is fine but online

OK, I'll stop now

Anyone having issues with updates on the Steam Beta?

that sounds like extremely sarcastic post at this moment for me, like total overkill (><)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Insistence on 'T' shaped employees does and will do no favors to the Steam's client\UI development and improvement.

Arguing that Valve's free-wheel philosophy impacts Steam development would make far more sense than labelling the proclivity for hiring people who excel in one area but are also of particular use in others as the problem. ;) Also, the Steam beta client is updated almost on a Daily basis; you can argue that it needs a significant revamp but the notion it's not being actively worked on is patently false. We're slowly closing in on four years since Steam's last big overhaul and so I wouldn't be surprised if another one is in store to coincide with SteamOS moving out of beta.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Woodcutter Simulator 2013 -- MB-8AEDF2F5FC936405 - Taken by bobnowhere. 26 entrants total.
Bridge It (plus) -- MB-CEFE7F654071F004 - Taken by derExperte. 25 entrants total.

t1395769836z1.png

Gaming sensation Woodcutter Simulator 2013 free for one lucky winner!!!

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Man, these Steam downtimes are just embarrasing

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV: Origin Announcements & Updates

It's about high time that Valve switched to diesel or electricity.
I see what you did there

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Valve should just follow Sony's example and shut Steam down for months.

Then everything will be perfect like PSN.

For the past 3 weeks, at least. But you may have missed the conversation about cats and dogs. That also happened.

How about:

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV: It's Not You, It's Steam

...and the bunnies! Don't forget the bunnies! :mad:

Perfect thread title.

Valve should just follow Sony's example and shut Steam down for months.

Then everything will be perfect like PSN.

Or Nintendo; withdraw a service because of the paedos exploiting the lack of parental supervision and responsibility.

Saty

Arguing that Valve's free-wheel philosophy impacts Steam development would make far more sense than labelling the proclivity for hiring people who excel in one area but are also of particular use in others as the problem. ;) Also, the Steam beta client is updated almost on a Daily basis; you can argue that it needs a significant revamp but the notion it's not being actively worked on is patently false. We're slowly closing in on four years since Steam's last big overhaul and so I wouldn't be surprised if another one is in store to coincide with SteamOS moving out of beta.
Because Valve won't hire people specifically for Steam tasks or that mostly want and qualified only to work on that.
The Beta updates are fixes and tweaks more than features. If not a single person at Valve all these years cared to add proper categorization to the library, then i don't know what to say. It shouldn't take one person more than a few minutes to make it happen - but it doesn't.

So all i'm left to say is that their hiring strategy and culture shouldn't be extended to the Steam client development.

Does anyone really know what up with Steam the past month? The constant downtimes are getting annoying particularly as it is slowing down most of the client too when viewing the community pages.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Because Valve won't hire people specifically for Steam tasks or that mostly want and qualified only to work on that.
The Beta updates are fixes and tweaks more than features. If not a single person at Valve all these years cared to add proper categorization to the library, then i don't know what to say. It shouldn't take one person more than a few minutes to make it happen - but it doesn't.

But it's not like they aren't also adding major features at a regular clip. The client does lots that it didn't do two years ago or even one year ago. There are just ALSO major holes not being filled in, which is what Jase was expressing.

Dambrosi

Banned
Some news: Last Knight from the Groupees Be Mine X bundle now has Steam keys available on the Desura client. Look in the client's main menu -> Gift History ->"your collection" link -> Last knight entry -> "Keys" link -> "Get" Steam Key link. It'll show up as "Last Knight: Rogue Rider Edition" once redeemed.

it's been a good couple of days for me PC-wise:

1. I found out my no-brand 16:10 monitor from 4 years ago is actually capable of 1920x1200 rather than its previous paltry 1680x1050, which is nice. I've been running it like this for a week now with no issues, so I assume it's native. And all this time, i was slumming it in the sub-True HD ghetto, blissfully unaware of my true potential...:p

2. Yesterday, I decided to buy Volgarr The Viking with some £3 worth of card moneys. Of course, i decide to grind the game for cards with SAM (as is my habit these days), and what should I see in my inventory but this monster:

360fx360f

There was only one other available on the market, and it was selling for SEVEN QUID! Well, that bad boy went on sale straight away - at a slightly more reasonable price, of course. If it sells, it will have payed for the price of the game by itself! Wish me luck, SteamGAF!

3. I also finally bought Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition with card money. The Market truly is a beautiful thing.

JaseC

So all i'm left to say is that their hiring strategy and culture shouldn't be extended to the Steam client development.

Valve won't hire 'I' people specifically for Steam development because it would go against the flat corporate structure which allows people to essentially move to whichever cabal they're interested in, so again, if you're of the view that Valve isn't focusing on Steam as much as it should, the problem, you would presume, isn't the people but the corporate philosophy that allows Steam to be ignored. As for the rest, I'll just defer to Stump's post.

Edit: Oh god, I just realised I wrote "Daily" (i.e. Daily Deal) rather than "daily", haha.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
But it's not like they aren't also adding major features at a regular clip. The client does lots that it didn't do two years ago or even one year ago. There are just ALSO major holes not being filled in, which is what Jase was expressing.

There are also people (like me) that would jump at the opportunity to work at Valve and help implement these sorts of changes. I also have the skills, abilities, qualifications, and certifications to do so. I am a "T" person - even though I don't have much experience in the gaming industry beyond my work with Enhanced Steam, I'm a network engineer (and we all know that Valve could use a few good infrastructure architects!) as well as an astrophysicist. And let's not forget that foremost I am a programmer. Yet, I am continuously turned down by Valve.

So in a way, I guess a big part of it actually does come down to their hiring process.

Arthea

quite ironically it also doubles productivity on anything nonSteam related! Thanks Gaben?

I think you confusing it with gaf being down, that triples productivity, while steam being down just annoys.

That being told, and talking about improvement of the client. I would rather have simpler client but working stably all the time, than have new features added when even old ones no longer work most of the time.

The more games JaseC buys, the more steam is down.

you might be onto something here.
For anything steam related, even if it's your gaming habits, blame Jasec, always works!

Aerocrane

RE: Pre-order bonuses from Steam for Trials Fusion:
ibxjdk8BiVqHPZ.PNG

Kind of expected a response like that, now if I submit a ticket to Valve it is probably going to result in them asking me to contact Ubisoft instead :/ I should probably try sending a ticket first though.
EDIT: And Trials Fusion is not even an option when submitting a ticket on Valve's website. Great.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
There are also people (like me) that would jump at the opportunity to work at Valve and help implement these sorts of changes. I also have the skills, abilities, qualifications, and certifications to do so. I am a "T" person - even though I don't have much experience in the gaming industry beyond my work with Enhanced Steam, I'm a network engineer (and we all know that Valve could use a few good infrastructure architects!) as well as as astrophysicist. And let's not forget that foremost I am a programmer. Yet, I am continuously turned down by Valve.

So in a way, I guess a big part of it actually does come down to their hiring process.

Well fuck me, you just got to godlike tier in my book.

I was just uninstalling a program in Win 7 and was reminding again of the clusterfuck of every single bloody Steam game being listed as a separate item. Is there any way I can de-select these from being shown so the list is more manageable? Sorry, if it's an easy answer; I did have a quick look but couldn't see anything obvious.

don't give Valve ideas, please, post responsibly

Excuse me?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well fuck me, you just got to godlike tier in my book.

Well, it's what I went to school for, and it obviously didn't pan out. That was 15 years ago, but I guess titles like that kind of stick with you. I knew when I was 8 that I wanted to be a computer programmer. I knew when I was 10 I wanted to be an astrophysicist.

When I got out of college and found out that you can't really do anything in the field of astrophysics without a) a LOT more academia or b) becoming a teacher myself, I decided programming is what I would do for a living.

And I have been doing so for the last 15 years, while also picking up several certifications relating to network administration, network / server architecture, and user interface design.

JaseC

RE: Pre-order bonuses from Steam for Trials Fusion:
ibxjdk8BiVqHPZ.PNG

Kind of expected a response like that, now if I submit a ticket to Valve it is probably going to result in them asking me to contact Ubisoft instead :/ I should probably try sending a ticket first though.
EDIT: And Trials Fusion is not even an option when submitting a ticket on Valve's website. Great.

That response doesn't even make sense. Ubisoft has no information on pre-order incentives pertaining to an Ubisoft game Ubisoft uploaded to Steam? I'd respond with, well, pretty much that, only rephrased slightly for the sake of politeness. Alternatively, contact RedLynx directly or make a thread.

There are also people (like me) that would jump at the opportunity to work at Valve and help implement these sorts of changes. I also have the skills, abilities, qualifications, and certifications to do so. I am a "T" person - even though I don't have much experience in the gaming industry beyond my work with Enhanced Steam, I'm a network engineer (and we all know that Valve could use a few good infrastructure architects!) as well as an astrophysicist. And let's not forget that foremost I am a programmer. Yet, I am continuously turned down by Valve.

Very impressive. I don't know why, but for some reason reading this just made me think of jshackles simulator 2014; a game where you simultaneously work on Enhanced Steam, play/collect games, apply to Valve, post on gaf, and study black holes or dark matter or something.

jshackles

Very impressive. I don't know why, but for some reason reading this just made me think of jshackles simulator 2014; a game where you simultaneously work on Enhanced Steam, play/collect games, apply to Valve, post on gaf, and study black holes or dark matter or something.

It'd be a lot like Diner Dash, but infinitely more rewarding.

Ruruja

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV: The Servers Have Run Out Of...

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV: It's Time For Internal Combustion

JaseC

Shadow Warrior now has a demo if anybody here is curious about the game.

There's nothing worse than the "don't ask us ask them reply"
It always strikes of laziness to me.

It's such a confoundingly nonsensical response that I can only assume either Aerocrane's subject wasn't overly clear or Ubisoft William misread it. Credit where credit is due, though: that was a very quick response! It's been a few days now since I responded to Ubi's last update regarding my now-month-old Settlers 7 issue.

Backlogger

For the past 3 weeks, at least. But you may have missed the conversation about cats and dogs. That also happened.

How about:

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV: It's Not You, It's Steam

Oh, I didn't miss the cats and dogs and bunnies conversation. I relished in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom