• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

I decided to do what's effectively a NG+ on No Hope, since you still keep all the weapons from your previous playthrough. And... it's alright until you reach sections where not taking damage is almost impossible when playing single-player. I.e. Early campaign, Chris has to climb across a poll while enemies are shooting at him. It's up to Piers to stop them, and Chris can't fight back whatsoever. If Chris (you) is already on a single block of health, well you might as well just go fuck yourself.

I beat it on no hope with Soma. Yeah the difficulty is a bit unbalanced in solo play. Professional to me is better.

rtcn63

I beat it on no hope with Soma. Yeah the difficulty is a bit unbalanced in solo play. Professional to me is better.

Beat it on Pro already (which is much easier than Pro in the previous RE games). I basically install the game, finish one of the campaigns, and uninstall. I can only take so much even as someone who loves third-person RE. Jake's is just hell, I'm not doing that snow level again. Probably gonna abuse chapter select if I go his route.

Mind that I've played RE6 over three times already in its entirety.

FLD

Megaton

Durante helped fix up the Little Kings Story port.

Oh, nice! Really tempted to jump in on it now, especially since it's on sale.

How I wish this article was on a K-T run blog.
Also, I guess you can say Durante does what Saradon't.

Pretty sure Sara didn't work on it. IIRC, XSEED specifically went with a Japanese porting team, figuring that they would have a much easier time understanding the source code and any comments present in it.

Jawmuncher

Beat it on Pro already (which is much easier than Pro in the previous RE games). I basically install the game, finish one of the campaigns, and uninstall. I can only take so much even as someone who loves third-person RE. Jake's is just hell, I'm not doing that snow level again. Probably gonna abuse chapter select if I go his route.

Mind that I've played RE6 over three times already in its entirety.

Even I skip that chapter. By far the worst one in the game

Pretty sure Sara didn't work on it. IIRC, XSEED specifically went with a Japanese porting team, figuring that they would have a much easier time understanding the source code and any comments present in it.

Yep, this is what Tom from XSEED said around August of last year:
It wasn't a manager decision, nor a budgetary concern, but a statement from the programming team that it simply was beyond their means to accomplish. And unfortunately, since no one at the XSEED offices is capable of the kind of programming needed to work on a game like this, we're forced to take the team we hired at their word when they say that making the game run smoothly at 60fps is simply something they can't do.

We did stress to them the importance of 60fps to PC gamers, though, which is why they included the option to play in 60fps at all.

Should fans hack the game and get it running smoothly at 60fps, that will be awesome, and we will also IMMEDIATELY let the dev team know, to show them it CAN be done, so that if and when we work with these programmers again, we can be a bit more demanding with them. ;)

-Tom

So they used an outside team and had to take them at their word on alot of things involving the porting of the game.

Mivey

Yep, this is what Tom from XSEED said around August of last year:

So they used an outside team and had to take them at their word on alot of things involving the porting of the game.
To be fair, they probably didn't have the formal education and practical experience that Durante has. Also, they probably had to work on a tight schedule.
Still incredible that devs are actually turning to him with source code to fix things. Hope he got paid.

To be fair, they probably didn't have the formal education and practical experience that Durante has. Also, they probably had to work on a tight schedule.
Still incredible that devs are actually turning to him with source code to fix things. Hope he got paid.

Looking at the thread on gaming side, He did.

Thank you for all the work that you do Durante!!

Kaleinc

Banned

Knurek

Come on now, don't do this, Sara is already hard pressed as it is, her efforts have been amazing.

Hey now, I appreciate Sara's work as well.
It's just that her and Durante are like the opposing points in a scale - Durante's focused on some things Sara doesn't handle, but I'm pretty sure win9x era Falcom code would destroy him.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
huh... just opened up my 360 pad to fix my left stick using those do it yourself youtube guides, the stick not only drifted but actually didnt register up motions properly (like I would be running and then suddenly the character in some game would start walking as if im not pushing the stick all the way) which was extremely annoying, and lo and behold, it actually...worked.

Cleaning shit works, who would have thought >_>

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
also, booted up Bioshock Remastered, runs pretty well so I guess the launch issues have been patched?

That intro is still fantastic btw.

Dr.Acula

Banned
also, booted up Bioshock Remastered, runs pretty well so I guess the launch issues have been patched?

That intro is still fantastic btw.

People were saying some of the shaders and shadows were messed up or something. It looks fine on its own, but side-by-side some stuff looks better, some looks worse :/

rtcn63

Reinstalling RE6 was a mistake. The weapons have almost zero feedback, especially the shotgun, especially coming from RE5 and RE7. The horrible inventory (I meant to use a flash not a first aid spray, and didn't want to shoot that barrel with a grenade round) and stupid, horrendous, nonsensical lose-health humpty-dumpty knockback effect are just wrong. There is no way this game was play tested at launch. I refuse to believe it.

Rhaknar

ooh Symphonia has japanese voices like the XIII games. Do all the Tales games on steam have japanese voices?

More of this in my jrpgs pls, makes the anime feels that more authentic :3

Final Fantasy is anime, deal with it nerds!

Eila

ooh Symphonia has japanese voices like the XIII games. Do all the Tales games on steam have japanese voices?

More of this in my jrpgs pls, makes the anime feels that more authentic :3

Final Fantasy is anime, deal with it nerds!

They do. Namco is great about it.

JakeD

Awesome article/blog/behind the scenes glimpse. Never heard of/played Little Kings Story though.. anyone give me an elevator pitch?

pikmin, but you're a cute little king running a kingdom. its pretty good, i played it for an hour or 2 back when it was released. it ran OK back then for me but ill definitely go back to it now that they've patched it up.

Durante

Hey now, I appreciate Sara's work as well.
It's just that her and Durante are like the opposing points in a scale - Durante's focused on some things Sara doesn't handle, but I'm pretty sure win9x era Falcom code would destroy him.
First of all, Sara is absolutely amazing.
Second, she didn't have anything to do at all with LKS. She's tied up with Trails, Xanadu and other awesome Falcom stuff.
Thirdly, the LKS source would destroy anyone. This is not an "easy port". In fact, I cannot imagine anything further from that.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Well Deus Ex is going to be resting for the next 3+ years... ;_;

One more DLC and that's that. Unless Square decides to hire another studio to replace Eidos.
Every franchise needs to breath from time to time. Better wait 3-4 years and then get a good game and not get sequel after sequel pumped out

Knurek

Thirdly, the LKS source would destroy anyone. This is not an "easy port". In fact, I cannot imagine anything further from that.

Do you think it would have been easier/less resource consuming to just licence Dolphin (GPLv2+) instead of making the port?

Nillansan

Little Kings Story is the Wii version right?

How are the controls?

Yup, it's based on Wii version, not the abysmal Vita version. Not entirely sure about the controls as I've held off playing the PC version due to the state it was in when it launched.

Rhaknar

Symphonia's battle system is...weird. Are all of them just on a 2d plane? The only Tales game I played was Vesperia on 360 (had to google the name because I dont remember ANYTHING about it) and I dont remember it being on a 2d plane, but then again I dont remember anything about it like I just said.

Im also apparently terrible at it as all my guys are low in my Temple save that I just left off at and I barely got any healing items, and you dont regen out of combat or even when you level up apparently.

Would really be interested in reading about the development of Double Dragon IV and how it turned out so bland and mechanically broken, especially given the general level of quality I expect from modern Arc.

Orgen

Symphonia's battle system is...weird. Are all of them just on a 2d plane? The only Tales game I played was Vesperia on 360 (had to google the name because I dont remember ANYTHING about it) and I dont remember it being on a 2d plane, but then again I dont remember anything about it like I just said.

Im also apparently terrible at it as all my guys are low in my Temple save that I just left off at and I barely got any healing items, and you dont regen out of combat or even when you level up apparently.

IIRC there should a button that lets you free roam on the battlefield but yeah, when you are fighting someone is in a 2D plane.

Fantastic game btw but maybe a little outdated if you already played Vesperia (the same team made Symphonia, Abyss and Vesperia).

The PS2 Tales games (Symphonia, legendia, abyss) and Dawn of the new world on the Wii had 2D plane fights. They have a slight free run when you switch around enemies and there is a button for that but it is not great at all. It wasn't until Vesperia that they introduced 3D Plane fighting. So it is really hard to go back to the older games because of that. They are still good games though, except Dawn of the new world...that was just not a great game at all.

Genki

They do. Namco is great about it.

Not so when it comes to Japanese text unfortunately :/. Dark Souls 1 was recently updated, but that was a From Software initiative as far as I can tell.

The LKS update is great news!

Eila

Little Kings Story is the Wii version right?

How are the controls?

Before the update they were locked to 8 directions due to Wii's octogate but now it's free and it feels better. If you use the left trigger it draws a straight line and it's kind of an autoaim thing that helps a lot. The wii version didn't use motion controls by the way so it's the same just different form factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom