• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madventure

I don't really have a problem with B.net laun.. Blizzard app launcher for a game being on it since I play overwatch just I hate being bombarded by its insistence to just chain plays full video ads as it cycles through things and they're some variation of flash not html5 so it has ended up causing my entire system to slowdown if I leave it up and running

But having firefox open with 87+ tabs at all times with running games is fine, so yeah totally not B.net

Steams front page is primarily all static images and the same is with GOG Galaxy so I never have problems with them running all day

Admodieus

I mean people are saying that they are getting the game where there friends are, all mine are on Steam, so there's reason for people to want to play a multiplayer focused game on the platform with all their friends.

Yeah I get that point, I just don't see it as a huge barrier. Discord is the brain center of my social network on PC these days, not Steam. We can hop from Battlefield to Rocket League to Overwatch and stay in the same voice chat that way. It's just the reality of the PC market in 2017.

If you want one centralized friend list experience, there are consoles for you to choose from.

Valve, Epic, and Gearbox are strictly forbidden from developing any adaptations or conversions of any Destiny or Comet game.

Half-life, Unreal Tourney, and B-lands. Bethesda was not dropping as many FPS then. It kind of makes some sort of sense (not really) although I like spite as a more interesting reason.

ezodagrom

Exclusive to one platform is not being open.

Every company can create their own client, but true openness would be saying "it's for sale everywhere. Buy it at this store for a Battle.net code, or this store for a Steam code, or this store for an Origin code," and letting the consumer choose based on personal preference.
That wouldn't be good either, that is, codes for different clients, since usually mutliplayer is tied to the client, so that would just split up the population.
In situations like this, the Ubisoft way is the ideal one I think. Game releasing on other stores but still requiring the original client (in this case, the Blizzard client).

Yeah I get that point, I just don't see it as a huge barrier. Discord is the brain center of my social network on PC these days, not Steam. We can hop from Battlefield to Rocket League to Overwatch and stay in the same voice chat that way. It's just the reality of the PC market in 2017.

If you want one centralized friend list experience, there are consoles for you to choose from.

There's also Steam, but that isn't a choice, which there in lies the problem people are having.

Admodieus

There's also Steam, but that isn't a choice, which there in lies the problem people are having.

But Steam isn't a centralized friends list for all of PC gaming because situations like this exist. Sticking your head in the sand and insisting that Steam is equivalent to consoles doesn't make it so.

If streamlining your friends list is your #1 feature, you have the option to do so on XBox or Playstation. I have friends that play on console for pretty much that reason

Pixieking

Banned
That wouldn't be good either, that is, codes for different clients, since usually mutliplayer is tied to the client, so that would just split up the population.
In situations like this, the Ubisoft way is the ideal one I think. Game releasing on other stores but still requiring the original client (in this case, the Blizzard client).

Dedicated servers make a comeback! Or something. :p

Yeah, split multiplayer is a slight issue... And I thought of Ubi just after I hit post. :D

Parsnip

This Destiny 2 news doesn't really move me in any direction, had no plans to play the game anyways. Surprised though.

I like Klei.
corrosivefrost will remember that.

I think Bungie just has a weird paranoia around Valve. Doesn't their contract with Activision explicitly forbid Activision allowing Valve to make a game in their series?

Found it:
Huh, had no idea. Seems unusual to say the least.

But Steam isn't a centralized friends list for all of PC gaming because situations like this exist. Sticking your head in the sand and insisting that Steam is equivalent to consoles doesn't make it so.

If streamlining your friends list is your #1 feature, you have the option to do so on XBox or Playstation. I have friends that play on console for pretty much that reason

Streamlining my friends list is my number 2 feature. Having a shiton of features is my number 1. Especially when one client has no controller support, no big picture, has friendlist region locked and wont let me add non Battle.net games on it.

Admodieus

Streamlining my friends list is my number 2 feature. Having a shiton of features is my number 1. Especially when one client has no controller support, no big picture, has friendlist region locked and wont let me add non Battle.net games on it.

The fact that there's no gatekeeper to make developers include these features on every release is a hallmark of PC gaming. I think it's worth remembering situations like this when we try to recommend PC gaming as compatible with comfy couch gaming. I've tried multiple times to move my gaming PC out to my living room and play from my couch, and edge cases like this lead to me bringing it back into the office every time.

It doesn't have to be centralized for it to be peoples preferred option though, you're original comment was about people having a "religious attachment" to Steam and I gave a valid non-religious reason and now you're twisting what I said to make it seem like I want some centralized console like experience, when all I stated was that I wanted the option to have the game on Steam and have my Steam friends list integrated into the game. There are other options but the one I and many others want isn't an option.

Admodieus

It doesn't have to be centralized for it to be peoples preferred option though, you're original comment was about people having a "religious attachment" to Steam and I gave a valid non-religious reason and now you're twisting what I said to make it seem like I want some centralized console like experience, when all I stated was that I wanted the option to have the game on Steam and have my Steam friends list integrated into the game. There are other options but the one I and many others want isn't an option.

I'm pointing out the reality of the PC market in 2017. There are big multiplayer titles on competing platforms now (Battlefield and Titanfall on Origin, Overwatch and now Destiny on Battle.net) and even if you can add them to the Steam launcher in some cases or buy them through Steam (Ubi Soft titles), the friends functionality is often not full fledged, to the point where you can't use Steam friends to send invites or join each other's games.

Why do you think Discord is so popular? It's an abstraction layer for social PC gaming that meets a need created by these different launchers segmenting off multiplayer experiences.

Amzin

I am sort of surprised no one has attempted the super aggregator client for all the gaming services. Maybe it is a cost thing.

I'm pretty sure there was someone who tried to develop that

So, I've been playing on PC a long time - like, pre-CD-ROM long time, and online games just about since they've been around. Way long ago, all games were their own launchers and had their own multiplayer / server browsers (or lack thereof) built in, friends lists unique to the game itself, etc.

So, some people came up with a platform to use to be able to search servers across games, launch the game from the client, things like that - I believe there were 2 or 3 at first but one won out for a long time.

Then, Steam happened. It essentially usurped that more open but duct-taped platform in favor of one built from the ground up (albeit very terribly for the first year or two) for that very purpose, and as a storefront for those same games. Steam was the first unified launcher that REALLY took off.

Now, Steam is seen as just one launcher of many, and sometimes seen as monopolistic even. And now we're reaching a point of having so many launchers again that people want to unify them... again.

It's probably why I've never minded having multiple launchers because I've suffered through much worse to play my games in the past, and I welcome competition. Although Origin is still dumb and uPlay really needs to knock it off with the one-shoe-on approach :p

FLD

It legit bums me out they don't even bother with proper sales. I'd actually really like to go back and play some of the early last-gen CoDs, but not at those prices. :/

Yeah, I enjoy the COD campaigns but I don't care about MP so I haven't bought any since Black Ops because they are so fucking overpriced for what they are. You'd think being a multiplayer-focused annual franchise would make the prices drop due to obsolescence yet here we are with MW3 (2011) and BO2 (2012) still too expensive for me to bite. -_-

The fact that there's no gatekeeper to make developers include these features on every release is a hallmark of PC gaming. I think it's worth remembering situations like this when we try to recommend PC gaming as compatible with comfy couch gaming. I've tried multiple times to move my gaming PC out to my living room and play from my couch, and edge cases like this lead to me bringing it back into the office every time.

Yeah, that's the point of Steam + Steam Controller configuration for your pad. So that when you need to tinker with mouse controller, you can do it from your controller. I moved my gaming PC to my living room and I play from couch. The hallmark of PC gaming is that I can customize my experience, not getting it locked.

Lanrutcon

So...uh...I notice the Destiny 2 trailers didn't show health bars. All the enemies seemed to just kind of fall over when shot.

Which one? Hearthstone? Diablo? Don't tell me you're playing Overwatch with a controller, it's the only one with support, but it's a shooter...

I played Hearthstone with a Steam Controller while I had a shoulder injury. It mostly worked fine, some mess ups with positioning but I didn't lose any games as a direct result.

Don't mind multiple clients if they are supported and have good customer service. I've had positive experiences with EA, Blizzard and Uplay support which have all made me more inclined to use their services.

Madventure

So...uh...I notice the Destiny 2 trailers didn't show health bars. All the enemies seemed to just kind of fall over when shot.

I only ever played the beta of the first one and I was watching the live stream and I was wondering that too. They're being invaded but everyone's a super god and everything dies except the guy who's even more of a super god. Alright. Cool. I guess.

they have health bars

trailer just had them removed to look cleaner or whatever...the actual gameplay reveal at the event was with health bars and everything

also, that part of the game they showed your character has a high level, good weapons, etc...then stuff & things happen that knock you back down to regular dude status

Admodieus

Watch it again. They're there, but the normal enemies do go down quickly, especially if you're over-leveled. There were stronger enemies with bars, including one of the elites with a yellow bar.

Endruen

I play Overwatch with a Steam controller!
Disgusting.
jk, do whatever you want, but after playing shooters with a m/kb, it's hard going back to a controller.
I played Hearthstone with a Steam Controller while I had a shoulder injury. It mostly worked fine, some mess ups with positioning but I didn't lose any games as a direct result.

It's like the only laid back game where you can actually use a controller and don't screw it terribly.

People still care about COD ?

Grabbed hollow knight and wolfenstein.

Infinite Warfare's campaign is great and would probably have been more popular on here and similar places if it hadn't had the Call of Duty name attached. It doesn't even really need it apart from a few Task Force 141-related easter eggs.

Can't speak to the other parts as I haven't played multiplayer since MW2 and I've never played a Zombies mode. I miss Spec Ops.

FLD

That feel when you just finished a Trails game but you really want to play more Trails. I really wish we had a release window on the Cold Steel ports. I'm tempted to just say fuck it and fire up my Vita copy of Cold Steel 2 but it's really hard to justify now that it's coming to PC. The first one ran like complete dog shit. Maybe I should do a nightmare run of 3rd right away...

Ascheroth

That feel when you just finished a Trails game but you really want to play more Trails. I really wish we had a release window on the Cold Steel ports. I'm tempted to just say fuck it and fire up my Vita copy of Cold Steel 2 but it's really hard to justify now that it's coming to PC. The first one ran like complete dog shit. Maybe I should do a nightmare run of 3rd right away...
Didn't they say summer?

vermadas

Disgusting.
jk, do whatever you want, but after playing shooters with a m/kb, it's hard going back to a controller.

I am far better with the Steam controller than I would be with dual analog. But yeah, I will never be as good as I would be with M+KB. Thankfully, I primarily play as Mercy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom