• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Carrell in upcoming Get Smart film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Coming Soon

Former The Daily Show field reporter, and Bruce Almighty and Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy co-star Steve Carell will play bumbling secret agent Maxwell Smart in Warner Bros.' big screen adaptation of sitcom classic Get Smart.

The role was originated by Don Adams during the original 1965-70 series run and again in the feature film spin-off The Nude Bomb. Variety says a script will be tailored for Carell by Steve Koren, whose recent credits include Bruce Almighty and the Adam Sandler vehicle Click.

The secret-agent comedy, created by Mel Brooks and Buck Henry, pitted Agents 86 and 99 against the evil forces of KAOS. Carel next stars in Woody Allen's Melinda and Melinda and NBC's American version of British comedy The Office. He gets his first lead role in a studio comedy with New Line's Furry Vengeance.

I'm a big fan of the original show, and I have to admit, Steve Carrell fits the bill to play Agent 86. This is one television movie I might have to look forward to.

Awesome. I notice Carell is still listed in The Daily Show credits as a correspondent... though anymore he only seems to do a Produce Pete segment every couple months. Just leaving his options open in case his upcoming roles don't lead anywhere?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
He probably just really enjoys doing a little segment here and there and getting back together with the cast/crew when he's in town. With a TV show on the way along with two lead roles in films and various other parts, I don't think he really needs the fallback.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
That is an awesome bit of casting. This could get no positive reviews anywhere and I'll see it in a theater.

Belfast

Yep. Will Ferrel would've been funny, but Stever Carrell almost *looks* the part, too. I'm just wondering if they'll try to have him emulate the Maxwell Smart "accent" or not.

dog$ said:
Lindsay Lohan for 99 :p

Hush! Luckily for you, your avatar redeems yourself.

Belfast said:
Yep. Will Ferrel would've been funny, but Stever Carrell almost *looks* the part, too. I'm just wondering if they'll try to have him emulate the Maxwell Smart "accent" or not.

I'd hope so, but I wonder if they'll keep the common plot of the show as well. German/Americans, jokes pointed at the countries in their true forms. It would make me go see it in a heart beat. Like someone said in the box office thread about Thunderbirds, nostalgia is the way to cash in on things that just have not evolved since their original debut.

I think Carrell is a better choice than Will Farrell. Sure Will is funny, but he's not perfect for everything. I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully it won't be butchered.

A couple of things:

The Nude Bomb was terrible. Hope they learned from that mistake.

A great joke might me Max using the (awkward and unreliable) Shoe Phone while somebody whips out some tiny, sexy Nokia.

Here's hoping they get a decent 99 and Seigried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom