• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Straczynski shares details about Sense8 ("amazing stunts that no one’s done before")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premise:

Launching late next year, the sci-fi thriller Sense8 follows eight people from all corners of the globe who simultaneously develop the ability to connect with one another telepathically. As they begin to learn about their powers, they’re forced to confront the reactions to their mysterious gifts from world governments and average citizens.

Plot details:

“We started out at one point talking about how evolution involves creating ever greater circles of empathy: You belong to your family, then you belong to your tribe, then two tribes link up and now you have empathy for your people on this side of the river, and you’re against the people on the other side of the river … on and on through villages, cities, states and nations. One day we’ll hit the planetary level but we’re not there yet,” Straczynski said. “So what if a more literal form of empathy could be triggered in eight individuals around the planet, in India, the U.S., London, Mumbai, Nairobi and elsewhere, who suddenly became mentally aware of each other, able to communicate as directly as if they were in the same room. How would they react? What would they do? To what degree could they accept each other? What does it mean? And what would the world think about people with this ability? Would they embrace it, or hunt them down as threats to our own evolution? How would they survive? It would give us a perfect platform to do a show that was loaded with action, big ideas, some amazing stunts that no one’s done before, and play to a planetary audience.”

The title Sense8 originated with Lana Wachowski as a play on the word “sensate,” meaning aware, but also because the series involves eight characters with a shared empathy.

Production details:

Like Netflix’s other original programming, Sense8’s entire season will be completed before its debut next fall. Straczynski said he expects casting to be announced in early 2014, and he’s already deep into pre-production and planning ahead for a project that will take him from the United States to England, India, Kenya and beyond.

“We plan to block shoot this as a 10-hour movie, and the best part is that we’re going to be shooting in the very same locations we describe, meaning we don’t fake Mumbai, we go to Mumbai, we go to Nairobi, we go to London,” he revealed. “The plan is to shoot as much as we can on stages in Chicago, then the Wachowskis, I and two or three other directors will blitz out and shoot simultaneously in seven different countries, taking along the appropriate cast.”

Straczynski will be directing all of Sense8’s London sequences, as well as some of the Chicago filming.

For more: http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...orating-with-wachowskis-for-nextflixs-sense8/

gdt

He must be excited to be working with that kind budget. Hopefully this is good...Babylon 5 is one of my favorite shows.

Bit-Bit

Yeah Netflix! Can't wait to sink my teeth into some Wachoski sci-fi.

Hopefully this paves the way for more sci-fi to be made and released all at once on Netflix.

He said that shooting will take place in Mumbai, Nairobi, London, Mexico, the U.S., Germany, and possibly Russia.

“This is gonna be a show that will be shot around the world simultaneously,” he says. “We’re gonna have five different units shooting at the same time to tell the story, and it’s gonna be ridiculously huge, and the cool thing about working with the Wachowskis…when they did The Matrix, they didn’t want to do a show like anything else they’d ever seen before, and The Matrix created a whole new cinema language. And they said, ‘If we’re gonna do television, then we have to do the same thing. We have to create a whole new vocabulary for television production…for television, which you can do in TV. And so coming into this, working with them, we’re pioneering some new techniques and new approaches in television storytelling. It’s quite extraordinary.”

When asked about how they convinced Netflix to put up a budget for this kind of thing, he says, “The international marketplace is a large part of this certainly. We had to come at them with a production model that said we can control the costs on this. We start shooting in Chicago, doing our stuff on set, jump out, blow out the set, jump out to locations in and around Chicago, then we jump out to our individual locations having four or five units shooting at the same time….mainly outside locations….using local production teams – camera teams – so that each area has its own distinct look, and we did the budget, worked it out, and said we can make this for this kind of money, and they said, ‘Go for it.’”

He didn’t give any figures, but it certainly makes you wonder just how large the budget for this project is. It’s even more interesting to consider in light of recent comments from Netflix content chief Ted Sarandos, who said last week, that Netflix will be doubling its budget for original content over the coming years.

“Each episode cuts back and fourth though,” Straczynski says of the Sense8 format. “Your anchor is the original stuff you started with on set. That kind of sets your style and your tone…”

He says each location will have its own look, but the set stuff will provide a general continuity.

He said he wouldn’t go much beyond that in terms of the plot, because “they like to keep things very close to the vest,” and he supports that. He says that’s why there isn’t much online about the story.

“What we’re doing is really kind of new and innovative,” he said, adding that he didn’t want to have someone else eat their lunch.

He did say he’ll be directing the London sequence. They’ll be shooting about three weeks in London next year.

For more: http://www.webpronews.com/netflixs-sense8-hopes-to-do-for-tv-what-the-matrix-did-for-film-2013-09

hypeddd

Looks like Straczynski loves the shit out of Cloud Atlas. https://twitter.com/straczynski

Turned in Disney screenplay Thursday, two Sense8 scripts Friday, Ten Grand script Saturday, Terminator 4 today, and Sidekick 5 in tomorrow.

Fortunately, I'm co-writing Sense8 with the Wachowskis, the smartest, most amazing writers ever, who carried most of these two scripts.

@straczynski it gave me several quasi-religious epiphanies about the nature of creativity, humanity, and fundamentally how movies work

.@somebadideas I absolutely agree. I've watched Cloud Atlas at least six times now, and every time I get something new out of it. Masterful

@straczynski I was starting to have my doubts about the Wachowskis, then i saw Cloud Atlas and damn that was amazing

@mulderc Fucking brilliant movie. And two of the nicest people you will ever meet, with twelve-story-tall scary-smart brains. Stunning.

More from JMS about the never-before-done qualities of the show: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52636

All the scripts [for "Sense8"] are in and being revised for production; the story is about eight characters around the world who one day find themselves empathically or telepathically connected -- and that there's a multinational organization trying to kill them. We start shooting around the second week of June, and will be going straight through to early November, filming around the world in the US, Mexico City, London, Iceland, Berlin, Nairobi, Seoul and Mumbai.

In the last two months, I've logged in almost 30,000 miles of travel, in one three week period, going from LA to New York, to London, to Rekjavik, back to London again, to Mumbai, and back to LA again.

This is, without exaggeration, the single biggest project I've ever been involved with since I started writing at age 17. The scale is ridiculous. I'll also be helming the London and Iceland sequences as director, which is fun and scary and exciting.

The writing is great fun. We're doing a very grounded series, a very realistic story despite the fantastical elements, and working very hard to be true to the cultures in which we are setting our action. The countries we're shooting in aren't just backdrops to our story, they're a part of that story in a deeper and more profound way than has really ever been done for American TV. Circling back at this from working in movies, none of us who are involved in this wanted to do a TV show just for the sake of doing a TV show. If we couldn't do something that nobody had done before, we didn't want to do it. And that's exactly what we've created here.

maxcriden

You know, I met JMS once at a Comic Con. I told him I wanted to be a writer. He seemed kind of annoyed :( but maybe I misread the situation. He thought long and hard and told me to follow my passion. That was an interesting experience. I've met friendlier-seeming comic book writers, but it was still interesting to meet him. One of his proteges, Samm Barnes, was very pleasant to speak with.

cirrhosis

Sort of sounds like a toned down version of Rising Stars, with 8 instead of 113.
He'll, gimme a Rising Stars series with Netflix's budget. That's what I really want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom