• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stress management at work

Magnus

Tense meetings, unclear instructions, conflicting priorities, insane work volume, often unrealistic expectations....

All of it leads to stress. How do you all cope best? Obviously addressing the root causes of the above problems is ideal. But when that isn't possible (because of difficulties with stakeholders, or otherwise unchangeable situations) what do you all do to cope?

I ask because stress is a known contributor to a laundry list of symptoms and conditions, and personally, really bad stress manifests for me as headaches, mild dizziness, noticeably increased heart rate, and obviously, difficulty concentrating, leading to other problems.

(Yes, I've gotten checked out tons of times on these symptoms - I'm all clear. Every doc just says, yes, stress can cause all of this. Lower your stress levels.)

Easier said than done, right?

I'd like to learn how to better control myself in stressful situations. Common advice has been:

- Take a walk, clear your head, especially right after a stressful meeting or issue
- Take frequent breaks throughout the day, wherever possible
- Exercise more (though while improved health is great, I don't have the background knowledge to understand how this will help me change how my body reacts to stress in the moment).

What are your strategies?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Listen to a good motivational video on your phone with earbuds while you work. Something like Les Brown, Zig Ziglar, Earl Nightingale, etc... to get you thinking positive, not stressed. Also, get up from your desk and take a restroom break every once in a while. Then on your lunch break just head to your car, set the alarm on your phone, and close your eyes for a while to just relax.

stress-ball-o.gif

Get yourself a stress ball, they truly do work.

Rad-

Delegate more. There's almost always some work you can give to others. Even if it's not a major task, every little bit stacks.

Top Bottom