• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studio Eclypse Berserk adaptation takes crowdfunding money and runs

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I feel the same with Trigun. Solid manga with tons of potential, then we get a remake of the TV series... At least we got a faithful Full Metal adaptation
The downfall of the OVA format probably has a lot to do with why some of these IPs can't get adapted properly. You need something like Hellsing Ultimate, ideally.

Doom85

I feel the same with Trigun. Solid manga with tons of potential, then we get a remake of the TV series...

Not what happened with Trigun Stampede at all. The first season is a prequel to the events of the main story (this is proven to be true in a later episode) but in a different continuity as Vash meets key players earlier than normal. The second upcoming season as such will probably retread some familiar ground but things will have to play out differently due to the changes from Season 1 plus the ability to adapt stuff from the manga that wasn’t covered the first time. So it’s not a “remake”, at least not Season 1.

And furthermore, the mangaka himself gave Studio Orange his blessing after meeting them and discussing how this new adaptation would go.

Personally, I prefer Stampede so far over the original anime, I felt the first few episodes of the original were mostly unnecessary and it also took too long to properly introduce Knives so he lacked the intimidating presence and emotional connection for Vash that he should have. Stampede fixes both these issues, the pacing is far better and Knives is introduced immediately.

Doom85

Too bad it's 3DCG, aka cancer!

King Of The Hill No GIF

If Studio Orange is cancer, then you best call me an ambulance immediately! Because their animation, directing, and other production details kick ass.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
That sucks and is definitely a risk with high visibility projects from an established IP. That being said I guess I have been lucky with what I've supported as they are pretty small and low risk (Ghost Song, The Good Life, and Dungeon Alchemist)

Most recent one is Stormlight Archive RPG, but that's fully backed by Sanderson.

(and I only paid for the miniature sets anyway)

thefool

I had read about this issue a while ago.
Some guy involved in the project went to the discord telling users everyone had moved on. The project itself had no future, obviously copyright issues would have shut it down. Besides, having people with no professional background doing this would have led to a(nother) shitty adaptation.

Last edited:

Mistake

Not what happened with Trigun Stampede at all. The first season is a prequel to the events of the main story (this is proven to be true in a later episode) but in a different continuity as Vash meets key players earlier than normal. The second upcoming season as such will probably retread some familiar ground but things will have to play out differently due to the changes from Season 1 plus the ability to adapt stuff from the manga that wasn’t covered the first time. So it’s not a “remake”, at least not Season 1.

And furthermore, the mangaka himself gave Studio Orange his blessing after meeting them and discussing how this new adaptation would go.

Personally, I prefer Stampede so far over the original anime, I felt the first few episodes of the original were mostly unnecessary and it also took too long to properly introduce Knives so he lacked the intimidating presence and emotional connection for Vash that he should have. Stampede fixes both these issues, the pacing is far better and Knives is introduced immediately.
Still not an original adaptation then. I also agree with EviLore EviLore on the animation, it looks like crap. I noticed they randomly throw that style in other shows with animals, particularly horses. I don't know why, it's so weird

Last edited:

DKehoe

I'm not familiar with the project. Was their idea to produce something and then work with the license holders to publish it?

What was the project? Them remaking The Black Swordsman arc of Beserk? How much money had they raised?

Doom85

Still not an original adaptation then.

I never said it was, I was just correcting the notion that it was a remake.

I noticed they randomly throw that style in other shows with animals, particularly horses. I don't know why, it's so weird

It’s not random, that’s the way Studio Orange animates. And if it’s not your style, fine, but I can’t imagine watching something like Trigun Stampede with such top notch movement and directing and thinking it looks like crap. They’re able to pull off far more satisfying action direction than the original anime series was able to, like it’s not even close.

Madflavor

Gold Member
Beserk feels like a franchise that’s got zero chance of an adaptation in today’s climate, unfortunately. Assholes like these take advantage of that apathy.

That might be a blessing though. Berserk fans don’t get to see Berserk for Modern Audiences, like fans of The Witcher and Star Wars did.

If any activist in Hollywood hears about this manga called Berserk, and wants to use it as a platform to push their agenda, just direct them to chapters with Wyald or everybody’s favorite horse.

If Studio Orange is cancer, then you best call me an ambulance immediately! Because their animation, directing, and other production details kick ass.
I agree with you and I think we have reached a comfortable/creative point with CG anime, with Uzumaki being the latest example of great usage.

I think everyone here is still recovering from the early years of CG anime because these studios had to crawl in order to walk, and the crawling part left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
That might be a blessing though. Berserk fans don’t get to see Berserk for Modern Audiences, like fans of The Witcher and Star Wars did.

If any activist in Hollywood hears about this manga called Berserk, and wants to use it as a platform to push their agenda, just direct them to chapters with Wyald or everybody’s favorite horse.

Or direct them to the Eclipse 👀

Yet this remains his only exposure outside of the manga. 1997 didn't show him, the 4C movies didn't show him. Even Japan thinks he's too much.

clem84

Gold Member
Apparently these things still happen.

The person behind Project Pheonix on Kickstarter stole 1 million from his backers.

I'm not even sure how Kickstarter can fix this problem but they will have to at some point. If it's that easy to run with someone's money then it is a scam they're running over at that website.

Thaedolus

Hey the 98 anime and those movies several years ago were pretty good. That 3D cell shaded show tho…lmaaaooooo

And yeah this situation is what is known colloquially as “fraud.”

bender

What time is it?
I'm not even sure how Kickstarter can fix this problem but they will have to at some point. If it's that easy to run with someone's money then it is a scam they're running over at that website.

Seeing how they were working on an established property without a license to do so, it seems like this might have been an easy project to weed out.

Top Bottom