• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study: Heavy Marijuana use is Highly Concentrated Among the Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgtl_10

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/14/study-poorer-marijuana-users-smoking-the-most/

A massive study published this month in the Journal of Drug Issues found that the proportion of marijuana users who smoke daily has rapidly grown, and that many of those frequent users are poor and lack a high-school diploma.

These usage patterns are similar to what’s seen among tobacco users. “What’s going on here is that over the last 20 years marijuana went from being used like alcohol to being used more like tobacco, in the sense of lots of people using it every day,” Caulkins said in an email.

Similarly, Americans of all ages with a household income of less than $20,000 accounted for 29 percent of all marijuana use and 27 percent of all cigarette use, compared to only 13 percent of all alcohol use and 19 percent of the total adult population.

The concentration of use among poorer households means that many marijuana users are spending a high proportion of their income on their marijuana habit. Users who spend fully one quarter of their income on weed account for 15 percent of all marijuana use.

There is a caveat:

Davenport and Caulkins stress that since the study was conducted over a period preceding the opening of recreational marijuana markets in Colorado and Washington, it doesn’t offer any evidence on the merits or lack thereof of legalization.

“Our results can in no way be interpreted as evidence toward the successes or failures of marijuana legalization or even medical marijuana laws,” they write.

However, they say their research presents a number of things to consider as states like California, Arizona and Maine vote on marijuana legalization this fall.

However the study concludes:

“Most people who have used marijuana in the past year are in full control of their use, and are generally happy with that use,” Caulkins said in an email. But, “consumption is highly concentrated among the smaller number of daily & near-daily users, and they tend to be less educated, less affluent, and less in control of their use.”

With a good recommendation:

The findings support the argument for legalization measures to be accompanied by public health protections — like treatment programs and public awareness campaigns educating people about the risks of overuse.

Is marijuana the new lotto ticket in that it targets the poor?

cdyhybrid

You think there would be an entire government agency built around jailing marijuana users if they could all afford top-flight teams of lawyers?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Maybe it would be different if weed was legal and good-paying employers testing for it.

dbztrk

I can believe it. I know so many wake and bakers. I find it sad because a lot of them don't even realize that they are addicted or can admit that they are.

harSon

Banned
Unfortunately true, especially among the 16-24 range. I primarily serve low-income / at risk youth within that age range, and I have to keep Febreze handy in my office.

darscot

I am totally for weed being legal and think it has few side effects. It does compound personality flaws in a major way. If you super motivated in life you not going to have any issue. If your kinda lazy and really like your couch weed is not for you. So I can see why this study would be true, but I think it has a lot more to do with predisposition that the weed.

darthbob

I'm poor-ish, smoke a lil after work every day to un-wind. Am also in Washington, and my highest level of education is High School graduate + some college.

Guess I'm a statistic now.

I like to have an edible every now and again but I mean...every day? It's more fun on Friday night to eat a little something and play Dark Souls with my friends.

Maybe when I'm an old man and I've retired, sure. Could be fun to be the chill grandpa.

Edit: I should clarify that I have responsibilities that I know being high will impact, which is why it's not a daily thing. It's personal choice.

Durden77

Well duh. It's the ultimate boredom drug. It let's you get away with being bored. I have to imagine most people in that situation are bored often.

kirblar

So heavy mj use correlates highly with a contentment in life and lack of shallow materialism. Sounds good!
It's the opposite, drug use in general results from crappy no-hope (or boring) living conditions. White kids in small rural towns with nothing to do get are getting into drugs at way higher rates than their suburban counterparts because they have nothing to do. Same reason Russia's got so many issues (and those crazy ass skyscraper climbing kids)

It's the opposite, drug use in general results from crappy no-hope (or boring) living conditions. White kids in small rural towns with nothing to do get are getting into drugs at way higher rates than their suburban counterparts because they have nothing to do. Same reason Russia's got so many issues (and those crazy ass skyscraper climbing kids)

So you think most poor people are poor by choice stemming from a philosophy of anti-materialism?
Whoosh

Guevara

What's the causation here?

People turn to drugs because they have bad options?

Or people have bad options because of their drug use?

FStop7

Banned
I've a secure well paying job, college degree, my own place, nice car, amazing girlfriend and I smoke a lot of weed.

Guess I'm one of the few in control of my use so.

The "15% of all Colorado marijuana users spend 25% or more of their income on weed" part really got my attention. I'd like to know how much income we're talking about, because weed has become pretty cheap. A quarter ounce of top shelf costs around $90 here in LA and lasts me a month, sometimes longer.

Kite

I've a secure well paying job, college degree, my own place, nice car, amazing girlfriend and I smoke a lot of weed.

Guess I'm one of the few in control of my use so.
I know plenty of people who are very heavy drinkers and are happily married and have high-paying jobs. It happens, people are different. Doesn't mean alcoholism isn't a problem.

h1nch

Obviously this means we should not legalize cannabis and instead increase the criminal penalties for possession.

I know plenty of people who are very heavy drinkers and are happily married and have high-paying jobs. It happens, people are different. Doesn't mean alcoholism isn't a problem.

Alcohol is way more addictive. Not really fair to compare marijuana to alcohol.

KorrZ

Weed is a pretty cheap alternative when compared to cigarettes or alcohol, so I'm not necessarily surprised that people with less income would turn to it.

I'm definitely not poor and would be classified as a heavy user surely.

Wray

The "15% of all Colorado marijuana users spend 25% or more of their income on weed" part really got my attention. I'd like to know how much income we're talking about, because weed has become pretty cheap. A quarter ounce of top shelf costs around $90 here in LA and lasts me a month, sometimes longer.

A quarter oz is gone in a week for an everyday smoker. I smoke about a 8th a week but that's with my wife keeping me on a schedule. If I'm off my leash I can easily blast through an oz in 3-4 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom