• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study: Hillary Clinton's ads were almost entirely policy free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, it feels like scapegoating to me. People using her campaign misfires to justify them not voting for her. Anyone with an ounce of critical thinking skills could see she was a better candidate than Trump, reflected by the millions more votes that she received.

'All people who voted for the other guy are stupid', says man with no interest in winning elections.

Clinton's ads were relentless and horrible. At one point where I live she was just showing the video of Donald mocking the disabled reporter over and over during what felt like every ad break. Way to signal boost Donald's shit comedy routine.

People just needed to go to her website!

I need to see the receipts.

Her slogan was Stronger Together as far as I could tell. Still have it on my window.

Correct. If anything, Trump beat Hillary on messaging because his only real message was MAGA, where Hillary had I'm With Her and Love Trumps Hate, but as far as what the slogan was supposed to be, they had gone with Stronger Together. They went back to this over and over, but they also had the speakers saying why they're with her, and calling out trump nonsense and saying love trumps hate, so things got muddied, as we can obviously see in this thread.

aeolist

Banned
A terrible message. Michelle Obama might've been able to get away with parroting it due to her charm but there was no way Hillary Clinton could finesse that. It's like these people thought the Sanders/Trump campaign didn't have a justified reason to exist in response to the state of the country. Hopefully the election of Donald Trump deflated their delusional bubble a bit.

clinton partisans still think that, because obviously nothing is wrong and the loss can be entirely blamed on russian hackers sending grandpa podesta an obvious phishing email

boiled goose

good with gravy
She wanted to antagonize Trump on a personal level to be able to theoretically appeal to gop donors.

Instead of rallying the base.

I said it was a horrible strategy then and look! it ended up being horrible.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
-Do Ads Work?

Eh I'm not convinced that is the case considering how often we hear ads donn't actually work. You can't say "Well on one hand ads don't work" while on the other say "Uninformative ads are partly why Clinton lost."

Not to mention when the two of them actually spoke he hardly ever spoke on policy and how to do the things he wanted and all she did was speak on policy.

It depends. The answer isn't always clear cut. The population's response to media as well as their consumption habits have been changing a lot over the decades. You need to be able to target effectively and intelligently (regarding the strategy, not the actual message, as many would say that Trump's message is the opposite of intelligent lol).

See these threads here where I lay out the effectiveness of Trump's ad campaign.

2016: Trump paid 63% less per electoral vote than Clinton; $5 per popular vote
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1311258

WIRED: How Trump's campaign used Facebook to win (not about fake news)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1315824

Chumly

Hindsight is 20/20 but I think they should have realized that it didn't take a hundred ads to realize trump was a jackass. We probably only needed 10-20% attack ads and the rest policy ads because people had absolutely no idea what hilllary was proposing.

Really the media coverage covered all of trumps missteps. They could have gone all out on policy and what she was going to do to make America better

kmfdmpig

Hillary made a lot of mistakes, and I think it's fair game to call them out.
With that said, the critique that her negative ads against Trump were focused on him rather than his policies seems a bit like a reach given how light on policy Trump was throughout the campaign. Slogans, generalities and vague comments about losing or winning are not exactly policies that can be rebutted effectively.

Brinbe

Honestly, it feels like scapegoating to me. People using her campaign misfires to justify them not voting for her. Anyone with an ounce of critical thinking skills could see she was a better candidate than Trump, reflected by the millions more votes that she received.

Yep, agreed. And instead of focusing on legitimate criticisms on things she actually did wrong, this thread is just gonna be a Hillary dumping ground like every other thread post-election. She's horrible! Everything she did was horrible! Rinse/repeat.

On merit, those ads worked because she got more votes and that people saw those ads and still voted for Trump is a reflection of the populace. Idiots can't be helped.

Aselith

'All people who voted for the other guy are stupid', says man with no interest in winning elections.

I was solid Hillary after the primaries and I thought her slogans were terrible. You can support the candidate and still recognize missteps.

Yep, agreed. And instead of focusing on legitimate criticisms on things she actually did wrong, this thread is just gonna be a Hillary dumping ground like every other thread post-election. She's horrible! Everything she did was horrible! Rinse/repeat.

On merit, those ads worked because she got more votes and that people saw those ads and still voted for Trump is a reflection of the populace. Idiots can't be helped.

This one of the things she did wrong and it's worth acknowledging that and looking at it. Slogans are going to be on t-shirts, bumper stickers, banners...tons of front facing materials that represent your campaign. It really needs to be something for people to attach to and rally around. It also needs to be something that the candidate feels strongly about and can use in speeches. Obama was all about "change" and "hope" and people really rallied behind that. He was a youthful, energetic guy that people saw that change in.

Trump for better or worse represented what a lot of people think of when they think of greatness. Doing what he wants, rich and running a business empire. Due to his claims about being a self funded business man, people saw him as the Horatio Alger bootstrap man that they think America should be. It's all bullshit of course but people were able to see it.

Now the fact is that neither of these candidates really embody what they were purporting to but people were able to see these things in them because the candidates projected the feelings and ideas they put in their slogans.

Sinfamy

I voted for her.
Too bad I live in Portland, Oregon.
Fact is she ran an awful campaign devoid of strong populist messaging.
Not to mention her literally not even showing up in swing states.
Blaming the voters won't do much, learn from these mistakes for future elections, or listen to people who have been ringing the warning bells instead of laughing at them.

Volimar

Hindsight is 20/20 but I think they should have realized that it didn't take a hundred ads to realize trump was a jackass. We probably only needed 10-20% attack ads and the rest policy ads because people had absolutely no idea what hilllary was proposing.

Really the media coverage covered all of trumps missteps. They could have gone all out on policy and what she was going to do to make America better

There were missteps even when she did speak policy. Telling people that coal was going away but don't worry we'll train you for green jobs just doesn't go over well with communities that only know and rely on coal.

Yeah they worked like a charm.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
She wanted to antagonize Trump on a personal level to be able to theoretically appeal to gop donors.

Instead of rallying the base.

I said it was a horrible strategy then and look! it ended up being horrible.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...sing-whether-a-new-party-leader-will-be-good/

We are talking about the same Democrat who has watched people execute understandable eye-rolls at his terrible summer advice for Hillary Clinton: “For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia.”

Tremendous political strategy. Believe me.

Volimar

I voted for her.
Too bad I live in Portland, Oregon.
Fact is she ran an awful campaign devoid of strong populist messaging.
Not to mention her literally not even showing up in swing states.
Blaming the voters won't do much, learn from these mistakes for future elections, or listen to people who have been ringing the warning bells instead of laughing at them.

I know it won't do much. I just wish people would take personal responsibility. Voting is a duty that people should take seriously instead of expecting to be pandered to and coddled.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I was solid Hillary after the primaries and I thought her slogans were terrible. You can support the candidate and still recognize missteps.

My point is that to win the next time around, the Democrats have to persuade some people who voted Trump to vote for them instead. Those people aren't very likely to vote for the Democrats when the Democrats' explanation for why they didn't vote for them last time was 'you have no critical thinking skills', a thinly-veiled way of saying 'you're stupid'. Even if it was true (which it isn't), it's not only useless to point out, it is actively harmful to doing better next time. You are a political party. It is your responsibility to figure out how to persuade people. As it is, the Democrats are busy doing a Principal Skinner and saying: am I out of touch? No, it's the voters who are wrong!

aeolist

Banned
I know it won't do much. I just wish people would take personal responsibility. Voting is a duty that people should take seriously instead of expecting to be pandered to and coddled.

i would phrase it more like "campaigning for president is something people should take seriously instead of expecting voters to fall in their lap"

this loss is clinton's fault, no one else's

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Because Robby Mook is an arrogant twit. He doesn't deserve to ever run any campaign again.

Completely brushed off recommendations by Bill Clinton and Joe Biden.

kmfdmpig

My point is that to win the next time around, the Democrats have to persuade some people who voted Trump to vote for them instead. Those people aren't very likely to vote for the Democrats when the Democrats' explanation for why they didn't vote for them last time was 'you have no critical thinking skills'. Even if it is true, it's not only useless to point out, it is actively harmful to doing better next time. You are a political party. It is your responsibility to figure out how to persuade people. As it is, the Democrats are busy doing a Principal Skinner and saying: am I out of touch? No, it's the voters who are wrong!

Agreed.

Maybe calling them deplorable again will work. Insulting large swathes of the electorate, after all, is a smart idea. It's what helped carry Romney to victory in 2012 and helped solidify Hillary's win in 2016... oh wait.

entremet

No offense, but with campaigning, you seem to live in a world of ideals instead of one of reality.

It would be great if politicians didn't need to pitch their messages and people voted just on duty, but that's not how you win campaigns. You need pragmatism.

Volimar

No offense, but with campaigning, you seem to live in a world of ideals instead of one of reality.

It would be great if politicians didn't need to pitch their messages and people voted just on duty, but that's not how you win campaigns. You need pragmatism.

Oh my views regarding this are absolutely idealist. The way I wish things were instead of the way they are. Thankfully, I'm not in politics.

ItIsOkBro

attack ads don't necessarily inspire people to go vote. sometimes it just convinces people that no one's gonna vote for the other guy. hillary's ads played a part in breeding voter apathy.

but I was told that "her policies were her message" and that she said the word "jobs" a lot so clearly she did a great job of reaching voters concerned about the economy

Hillary ran an awful campaign, plain and simple. Shitty ads, wasting time and money in pointless states, ignoring the fact that Trump was hitting the rust belt states hard.

I know I didn't call the win for him before hand, but I know I told my friends to not be surprised if he won because I could tell back then her campaign was a bad one while Trump was making all the right moves.

This is really something that I hope stops happening going forward with Democrats. Stop trying to pander to Republicans. And it's not just Hillary that was guilty of it, Obama was to. Most notably the Democrats bizarre infatuation with constantly praising Ronald Reagan of all people. You saw it a lot during the DNC where Democrats tried to push this message that Trump really didn't speak for conservatives and you can come on over to the left this one time. Turns out he kinda does speak for conservatives. They may not want to say it out loud, but he's saying what they want and doing what they want. You aren't going to see Republicans rally behind a message of praising Obama and Bill at an upcoming RNC's.

Trokil

Banned
Hillary ran an awful campaign, plain and simple. Shitty ads, wasting time and money in pointless states, ignoring the fact that Trump was hitting the rust belt states hard.

To be fair, if you are surrounded by hardcore fanboys, never even questioning anything, bullying anyone out who is even mildly critical or has a different opinion, it is pretty hard to see reality. There was never any doubt, that she would win, because she earned it, history demanded it and people owned her their votes.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Many people don't care about policy, but they absolutely want to hear about it and feel reassured on their convictions and prospects. Hillary screwed up pretty badly there. Meanwhile, Trump couldn't stop bloviating about Making America Great Again. It's a shit message, but it's a message.

The message is shit, but it was a very clear message too. Just like Hope or Change from Bams. I still don't know what the hell her slogan was since I saw several, like I'm with Her, Love Trumps Hate, Stronger together, etc. Where none of them particularly had a message about what she wanted to do and felt more like a response to Trump half the time. It's piss poor messaging. It's why Sanders was also able to gain considerable in the primaries too. Sort of felt like her campaign had an identity crisis.

I feel like "Obama 2" would have been enough. Trump wanted to spin that like a bad thing but basically nobody felt that way except his hardcores. People just wanted to feel like they were in good hands.

I feel like that would have hurt her more. She is basically Obama 2, but the entire issue is, she needed something that was clearly unique to her. A simple message like, Moving America Forward, or Standing for us all, or some shit like that. Something that wasn't tied to another candidate with a positive outlook. It's funny, because throughout her campaign, I kept thinking back to Milk, where you had the one dude basically say, you have to have a message with hope in it. Which is where I felt hers of lacking. Obama's was always brimming with that the idea that this is the guy who is going to take us forward.

Eumi

I never understood "I'm with her" as a slogan.

Clinton shouldn't have been asking Americans to stand by her, she should have been explaining how she would stand by them.

And like, she had a ton of good policies, she just didn't seem to utilise them.

Guevara

I remember people telling me:

"What's the problem?! If voters want to know her policy, it's all on her website. Surely they can go and find out."

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I feel like "Obama 2" would have been enough. Trump wanted to spin that like a bad thing but basically nobody felt that way except his hardcores. People just wanted to feel like they were in good hands.

The slogan is the least of your problems when this is your strategy:

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/438481/chuck-schumer-democrats-will-lose-blue-collar-whites-gain-suburbs

"At least publicly, Schumer has no worries about his party’s dwindling fortunes among working-class white voters. “For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.”"

anaron

"What's the problem?! If voters want to know her policy, it's all on her website. Surely they can go and find out."
These are the same people who attack someone for an ignorant post and instead of actually discussing the issue politely, just handwave it away with "educate yourself."

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

It's not a coincidence why a lot of the people who got pissed off at Bernie's repeated messaging didn't understand why he had such an energizing effect.

The repetition was a feature, not a bug.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The slogan is the least of your problems when this is your strategy:

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/438481/chuck-schumer-democrats-will-lose-blue-collar-whites-gain-suburbs

"At least publicly, Schumer has no worries about his party’s dwindling fortunes among working-class white voters. “For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.”"

DWS better of had her own peepee tapes on the party for tanking this selection that poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom