• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stupid Mac doesn't have enough power to run flash storage device. Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbob

Ok, here is the deal. I'm trying to pull data off of a MAC computer with a USB Flash media device. The computer has Mac 0S 9.1 on it. But whenever I plug the flash device into the computer I get nothing. And when I plug it into a powered USB HUB I get an error saying the device needs more power! I then unplug all the devices except for the powered hub. I plug the USB flash device into the powered hub and still get the same error message!! This is really starting to annoy me and I'm running out of ideas. Any suggestions on how to get this thing working?!

Timbuktu

when I get a 'not enough power' message, i assume that i have to plug the thing directly to the computer. Maybe try different USB slots on the Mac (or on the studio display if that's what you're using). Perhaps the storage device has appeared in a not very obvious location on the desktop and you have noticed.

Mrbob

Timbuktu said:
when I get a 'not enough power' message, i assume that i have to plug the thing directly to the computer. Maybe try different USB slots on the Mac (or on the studio display if that's what you're using). Perhaps the storage device has appeared in a not very obvious location on the desktop and you have noticed.

This is what I'm thinking may be a possibility. When I plug the device directly into the IMAC I get no error message. However the device does not pop up on the desktop. Do you know where else it could pop up?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
All bets are off if you're using such an old OS. It may be beyond your control, but may I ask why you're not using some variant of OSX?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Where are you trying to move the old data to? USB memory sticks don't like cross platform sharing so if you format it for OS X (and if you can get it to work for 9) it won't transfer to a windows machine anyway unless there is a work around that I am unaware of.

Mrbob

The card said it works with Mac OX 8.6 and up....So I guess it may not work with Mac OS 9.1????

Is there a flash card by a manufacturer you know will work with Mac OS 9.1? I guess I can't trust the info on the box? Oh man...

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Older Mac OSs may not support the feature but you can try connect the two computers with an RJ45 (not sure if it has to be crossover or not) and hold "apple + T" when you boot the second system and it will boot like an external hard drive to the other Mac.

It is probably an OS X feature though. You could load up OS X but you would be risking some data loss on the old rig.

HAve you tried looking for a specific OS 9.1 driver from the USB makers website?

Mrbob

scola said:
Older Mac OSs may not support the feature but you can try connect the two computers with an RJ45 (not sure if it has to be crossover or not) and hold "apple + T" when you boot the second system and it will boot like an external hard drive to the other Mac.

It is probably an OS X feature though. You could load up OS X but you would be risking some data loss on the old rig.

HAve you tried looking for a specific OS 9.1 driver from the USB makers website?

Yes.

The only drivers are for Windows 98/98SE. All other formats should auto boot as soon as the flash drive is plugged in.

BTW it isn't the flash drive as I plugged it into the OSX computer and it locates on the desktop fine.

Timbuktu

scola said:

RJ45? You mean Firewire?

If you have internet, why not email what you need to yourself?

Timbuktu

hmm. If it is actually connected, perhaps you can find them with 'Sherlock'. I can't really help much more beyond that. Surely there must be anyother way to transport your file. iPod? CD burner? Uploading it to iDisk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom