• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suggest a wireless router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going wireless, just a 2 PC home. Can anyone recommend the best routers as well as which ones to stay away from? Input on wireless access cards would also be appreicated.

I'm partial to Linksys myself, but have no real grounding for this preference other than they have worked for me in the past.

Thanks.

indextop06072004.jpg

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

fart

Savant
the airport express is overkill (and pretty expensive) if you're not going to use the line out on it or the convertability. for the most part the wireless routers popular now are pretty much the same. the big differences are interface and range (although i'm sure some of them are total crap). for the most part i think you're ok with any of the "major" brands. just go with the cheapest one.

pixelated

I have a D-Link DI-624, performs great in G, it has super G 108 Mbps also but my laptop doesnt like that mode, also says it works with xbox live, I dont have one maybe you do

Mason

The D-Link Xtreme G one is supposed to be excellent. I just bought it yesterday but haven't hooked it up yet.

However, avoid the Microsoft base station AT ALL COSTS. It's being discontinued so it's on clearance right now and you might be tempted to snag one at such a low price, but it's just not worth a penny.

Slo

What's the concensus on Netgear? They seem to be a little cheaper and still get good ratings.

Don't have any problems with my Netgearb router in a year of steady use. I'm using it through a desk, and through a wall, and I noticed very little difference in terms of performance (compared to just a wall).

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I recently purchased the USRobotics Turbo G router and I must say that I'm quite impressed with considering the price.

I had some issues with it at first, but I got the latest firmware for my onboard wireless card and the router it self, and I haven't had an issue since. Speed is great (has the option to do 100Mbps with certain wireless adapters), the coverage is great (can pick it up all over the house, even in the basement, through the floor, and outside on the deck), setup is easy, overall I'm extremely impressed, considering that I was told by the sales guy at Best Buy that it has had issues and that I'd probably end up returning it.

Came to about 67 dollars Canadian after the rebate, great bang for buck.

Edit: (Added some descriptions, corrected some punctuation)

You're lucky you didn't get the D-Link DI-624. I bought one last month and I found it has a chronic issue that makes it self reboot dozens of times every day. It was a nightmare, specially for playing games online.

I got a cheap Netgear and, besides the wireless range being too short, I had no problems so far.

tenchir

My first wifi router was a DI-713p, worst router in my life. It randomly freezes up, it's range is bad, wifi signal would drop randomly, etc..... After that, I bought Linksys and Belkin, which has been pretty stable so far.

From what I heard about the DI-624, it either works really good or really bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom