• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suggestions on a high-end gaming laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilbert

A friend of mine wants to buy a high-end laptop to serve as a mobile gaming platform, and is looking for recommendations.

The critical parameters:

--> FAST processor. Athlon64 is preferred, but one of the high-end Pentium 4s would be fine too.
--> 1 GB of DDR RAM.
--> FAST mobile 3-D accelerator card. No preference between nVidia and ATI, just as long as it screams. (He is under the impression that the ATI Radeon Mobility 9700 is the current top-of-the-line...is that true?)
--> 17" display.
--> Sufficiently large hard drive to store several GB of music and game files/mods.
--> IDEAL price range is $3000 or less, but is willing to go (slightly) higher for an ideal configuration.

He is considering the following system from Hypersonic PC, but his concern is that he's never heard of the company before. Any comments?
> Turn Around : Approximately 18-24 days
> Price as Configured: $3,211.00
>
> Aviator AX7 with Graphite Accents
> (No Keyboard Selected)
> (No Mouse Selected)
> 3400+ AMD Athlon™ 64 DTR/Mobile Processor w/ PowerNow!™ Tech.
> VIA K8T800 + VT8235 Chipset Mobile Motherboard for AX7
> 1024MB PC3200 DDR400 RAM SODIMM
> (No Memory Selected)
> ATI Radeon Mobility 9700 (M11) 128MB for AX7 (w/ TV Out)
> 80GB 5400rpm Ultra ATA Hard Drive w/8MB Cache
> 4X DVD +/- R/W Drive w/ DVD Recording Software
> Built-in 4 in 1 Flash Media Card Reader Slots
> (No Additional Battery Pack)
> 17" WSXGA+ 1680x1050 Wide-Screen Display w/ Super Clear Glossy Surface
> Built-in Sound Blaster Compatible Audio (AX Series)
> (No Speakers Selected)
> Integrated 10/100 Fast Ethernet Controller
> Integrated V.92 56K Fax/Data Modem
> MS Windows XP Professional SP1 CD & Manual Pre-Installed & Configured
> (No Printer Selected)
> 1Year 24/7 Toll-Free Tech Support Platinum Service & Lifetime Support
Any other suggestions for possible laptops?

Thanks for any info you can provide. He'd like to make a decision by Thursday, since he has a limited window for getting the system prior to going on a 3+ month trip to unmentionable places...

crumbs

Doesn't Dell make a gaming laptop, the XPS. I also remember someone posting about emachines making an Anthon 64 laptop that seemed like a good deal for the price. Sorry I don't have any links.

17" WSXGA+ 1680x1050 Wide-Screen Display w/ Super Clear Glossy Surface

I don't think WSXGA 17" screens are the best choices for a gaming oriented laptop. That's a lot of pixels for the videocard to fill. You'll negate alot of the horsepower you are spending for. Also, I'd just go for your regualr aspect ratio ones than 16:9 ones for better game compatability. Some games might not have a widescreen mode.

I'd personally not go beyond a 1280x1024 (SXGA) LCD in this case, and probably would prefer a 1024x768 (XGA) screened laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom