• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sugiyama says Dragon Quest VIII release = end of 2004

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/11/news_6104644.html

TOKYO--Kouichi Sugiyama, the composer for the Dragon Quest series, made an offhand comment yesterday that Dragon Quest VIII will be released by the end of 2004. Square Enix has only officially announced that the PlayStation 2 role-playing game will be released sometime during winter 2004-2005.

During his 18th Dragon Quest concert, Sugiyama told the audience that the game's compositions were complete and music development will be going into the next stage. "Things are going to get busy since I'll have to begin converting the compositions into data for Dragon Quest VIII, which is going to be released during the year," he told his concert audience, which responded with a large round of applause.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Whatever it takes Sugiyama, make sure the soundtrack rocks.

I was kinda hoping for an early 2005 release but maybe that isn't gonna happen. :)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
How is Square-Enix going to fit the US releases of Final Fantasy XII, Kingdom Hearts, and Dragon Quest VIII all in 2005...

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Defensor said:
Summer, Fall, Winter.

I guess that works, we'll see how they are spaced. So I guess that would mean DQVIII, Kingdom Hearts II, Final Fantasy XII. Big year for them.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
You guys don't remember 2000? Square had an awesome line up of games...like 5-6 games released in a row, each game released a month away of each other. Something like Front Mission 3, Vagrant Story, Legend of Mana, Threads of Fate, Chrono Cross....that was a pretty sweet year

Grizzlyjin

Dark Dragon said:
since when DQ was a big deal in U.S.?

I think the huge graphic upgrade was to appeal to audiences outside of Japan, they really want this one to catch on in North America.

jarrod

Banned
Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
I think FFXII, KH2, DQ8 would be a more likely order for the US releases.
No way with FFXII's delay... DQVIII this summer, FFXII following in the fall and KH2 right before Christmas. :)

DQVIII is going to be huge in the US because Square and Enix merged, and now they can coordinate their launch schedules. Look at Star Ocean 3; that's going to be The Big RPG this year whereas had the companies not merged, it would have fizzled.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Kobun Heat said:
DQVIII is going to be huge in the US because Square and Enix merged, and now they can coordinate their launch schedules. Look at Star Ocean 3; that's going to be The Big RPG this year whereas had the companies not merged, it would have fizzled.

Haha, that's awesome... I would love to see SO3 have a successful US release. I hope that S-E puts forth a lot more resources marketing the Enix side of things, I personally couldn't give a damn about Kingdom Hearts 2 (I thought the first was awful), and FF12 doesn't really interest me very much (I will still get it), especially how people are saying they've "westernized" it a bit.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
belgurdo said:
Lifetime sales=250000

Which, while no way close to the japaneese sales, is not bad at all

jarrod

Banned
Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
Square starts translation work on games before the Japanese release these days, so a Japanese delay won't necessarily be passed on to the US release.
Sure, but they'll strategically want to save FFXII/KH2 for the year end shopping season anyway I'd imagine. DQVIII is going to get a big push from Square Enix USA, and likely sooner in the less crowded summer months. I bet it breaks a million here. :)

jarrod said:
Sure, but they'll strategically want to save FFXII/KH2 for the year end shopping season anyway I'd imagine. DQVIII is going to get a big push from Square Enix USA, and likely sooner in the less crowded summer months. I bet it breaks a million here. :)

They can also funnel alot of marketing into DQ8 considering Disney is going to be pumping alot of money into KH2's marketing so they won't have to push it as hard.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Because of the way the graphics are looking, fused with the Toriyama designs, I wonder how much the DBZ fans here will go for it.

belgurdo said:
Lifetime sales=250000
Way more than that.

All Squeenix needs to do is have that as their Big RPG for whatever Christmas season it releases in. Just as long as it's not competing with Kingdom Hearts 2 or FFXII they'll clean up on it.

...if it IS competing with KH2 or FFXII, though, they're pretty much guaranteeing a good old fashioned stillbirth.

They've got a chance to have 3 established RPG series in the US, so they should space them out and i'm sure they will. I don't think DQ8 will sell a million here, but 500k should definetly be possible with the correct marketing campaign.

djtiesto

I hope so, I remember DW1 and 2 being really successful in the US, but 3 and 4 got hardly any marketing at all (except for an article in Nintendo Power about 3, and one about 4 years after its release date). Though most Americans can't comprehend "gameplay" and will be wondering where is the hot girls dressed in skimpy outfits and overdone FMV and summon spell sequences?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
djtiesto said:
I hope so, I remember DW1 and 2 being really successful in the US, but 3 and 4 got hardly any marketing at all (except for an article in Nintendo Power about 3, and one about 4 years after its release date). Though most Americans can't comprehend "gameplay" and will be wondering where is the hot girls dressed in skimpy outfits and overdone FMV and summon spell sequences?

*raises glove*
You know what? Its not worth it anymore. Still, you're an ass.
Anyway, they can keep DQ8 as long as they want, I've got far too many RPGS.

belgurdo

Banned
djtiesto said:

:rolleyes:

djtiesto

RevenantKioku said:
*raises glove*
You know what? Its not worth it anymore. Still, you're an ass.
Anyway, they can keep DQ8 as long as they want, I've got far too many RPGS.

?? What are you talking about?

RevenantKioku

djtiesto said:
?? What are you talking about?

See Belgurdo's post.

Edit: Normally I'd get all up to argue about DQ/FF and their merits and whatnot, but fuck it, its been done to death.

Rubeus

According to magicbox, the unofficial release date of DQVIII is November 25 in Japan.

- Japanese retailers reported that the release date of Square Enix PS2 RPG Dragon Quest VIII: Sky, Sea, Earth & The Cursed Princess is now set to November 25, 2004. Square Enix has not confirmed this date.

Top Bottom