• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sumatran Rhinos Declared Extinct in Malaysia

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameron

Critically endangered, the Sumatran rhino is the smallest of the five extant species. They also have red/brown fur! They're threatened by habitat encroachment and poaching. As always.

Save for two females captured in 2011 and 2014 for captive breeding programs, Malaysia has not seen a Sumatran rhinoceros in the wild since 2007. Now scientists have asserted that the animal is extinct in the wild there.

The sad conclusion is documented in the conservation journal Oryx by a team of scientists led by the University of Copenhagen's Center for Macroecology, Evolution and Climate.

The picture is grim for the Sumatran rhino, according to the researchers. It once ranged across much of Southeast Asia, but now its numbers have shrunk to about 100 left in the wild in Indonesia and nine others that are safeguarded in captivity.

http://news.discovery.com/animals/e...ran-rhinos-now-extinct-in-malaysia-150820.htm

From the International Rhino Foundation:
vm75E0r.jpg

There are fewer Javan rhinos, but their population appears to have stabilized. The Sumatran rhino is most endangered since their population has decreased more than 50% over the last 20 years.

As part of conservation efforts, a few have been born in captivity.
"Andalas" (Cincinnati Zoo) was the first to be born in captivity in over a century.

"Harapan" (Cincinnati Zoo) and his mother "Emi" (passed away)

"Andatu" (Sumatran Rhino Sanctuary).

Akira

Rhinos have always been my favorite among the big 3 (and kind of dislike the hippo :p). It's sad to see a mini wooly rhino extinct or critically endangered.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Rhinos are so cool. Sad that we as humans once again ruined something. When mother nature takes her revenge on us it's not going to be pretty.

ot but I really wish I had the willpower/discipline to stop eating meat. In reality I'm no better than the poachers that caused this.

fawaz

Banned
This is verry sad.

I know if I was stuck in poverty I wouldn't give a shit if I am making an animal go extinct to get out. There is No stopping poachers. The focus should be on those buying the things

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Fucking poachers you fucking sack of shit and fuck you China for demanding this stuff.

Frog-fu

Banned
To be fair, it's a really tiny subset of cretins that are doing this.

The problem is that they're dedicated and stupid--they're killing off their supply.

But it's also fuel by shamanic bunk.

They're only doing it because there's a big enough market to sustain their senseless butchery. All those people buying ivory are pieces of shit too.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Awwwww they're so cute too! Almost like a woolly rhino since they are so fluffy^^

People that hunt/demand ivory DO realize that it's going to run out once they've killed everything, right? It's like the mentality from the 1800s when people would just overkill/overeat an animal to extinction and then go "well that's that!"

It's a sad reality that we probably won't have anymore rhinos in the wild period within a few decades :( Elephants will probably follow behind soon after. I know there's many animal people that despise zoos in general, but honestly, zoos will be these animals' ONLY chance at living, safely too at that. It's impossible at this point to get their numbers back up to a healthy amount, even through zoos. Buffalo were lucky since their demand to be hunted eventually went away and they were able to flourish again. It's all very sad... Poor rhino and elephants... (and everything else hunted for stupid magical purposes).

jph139

They're so cute! Hopefully the captive breeding programs are successful... I feel like it's a lost cause for a lot of these critically endangered breeds in the wild.

shaowebb

We're slated to lose a lot more animals soon. I think Pallas' cat is one of the next expected to hit shortly. At least Polar Bears seem to be trying to crossbreed with other species, but its uncertain what the success rate for that is in the wild and if they will hold out, breed out, or die out before it goes anywhere. Odds are pointing towards the Polar Bears just dying out though.

From current projections expect a landslide of species to start falling off in the next 10 years. Gonna lose a lot of frogs soon thats for certain...

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
We're slated to lose a lot more animals soon. I think Pallas' cat is one of the next expected to hit shortly. At least Polar Bears seem to be trying to crossbreed with other species, but its uncertain what the success rate for that is in the wild and if they will hold out, breed out, or die out before it goes anywhere. Odds are pointing towards the Polar Bears just dying out though.

From current projections expect a landslide of species to start falling off in the next 10 years. Gonna lose a lot of frogs soon thats for certain...

Awww not the Pallas' cat :( I love all the exotic odd creatures and it sucks that they are always the first to go... Losing frogs though and well, the bug problems will only begin from there...

Lotto

it's elusiveness only makes it more alluring

it makes me incredibly sad, i hope for the best that conservation efforts do work out for these rhinos but it will take decades maybe even centuries of time to recover from such a small population

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
So we're just going to kill all the cool animals huh?
Why not those fucking mosquitoes. Or those damn rats.

Herp2daDerp

Neo Member
Rhinos are so cool. Sad that we as humans once again ruined something. When mother nature takes her revenge on us it's not going to be pretty.

ot but I really wish I had the willpower/discipline to stop eating meat. In reality I'm no better than the poachers that caused this.
You don't have to stop completely immediately. Just eat less of it for a start. Start with dropping meat 2-3 days per week. Learn of all the meat-like substitutes that help with the worst meat cravings. Maybe increase it with a day or two after 1-3 months. Maybe you'll be able to stop eating meat altogether, in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom