• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

SAO S2 #12

thats-good.gif

mankoto

I need to find time during the week again somehow. Saving everything for the weekend is becoming quite the endeavor... Especially since I've been out for 2

Zankyou no Terror 9
You know, I was ready to let her go. I was going to be really upset about because she brought literally nothing to the table. But, at the same time, the fact that she's still here irks me for some reason.

Yeah the pacing is going to be amazing I bet.

Why is Sailor Moon Crystal every other week and looks like it does?
Production scheduling. Toei is bad when they're not producing a lot of shows, but it's just being made too fast for any quality staff to work on it effectively. New ADs who can't have the time to fix all the mistakes create inconsistencies.

Same issue was in Titan S1 with Wit being given literally 6 weeks to finish the final episode. They just couldn't outsource that much and get the quality shows need.

Fate/Zero - 25 END

Wow. What a show. I gotta say, this was a really fun ride from beginning to end.

Though, much like other Urobuchi works, it ends
quite tragically for many of the characters. Kiritsugu is unable to see Illya again. Rin's mother survived, but is now insane. Kirei and Archer are now apparently on a quest for destruction?

Kariya just ended up getting shat on throughout the entire show, from begging to end. I mean, damn. The guy continually has worms devour him and drives his body to the brink of unbearable pain in order to save Sakura...only for Sakura herself to be the one to kill the poor guy at his last breath, saying that he was a fool to go against her grandfather. Never mind Sayaka or Homura, Urobuchi was straight-up heartless with this character.

Though I'm not entierly sure what exactly happened to Saber. Is she dead? I'm pretty sure I saw her on the cover art of Fate/Stay Night or something so she must still be alive. Right?

At least Waver has it okay, and now plans on seeing the world in Rider's honour, so that was pretty neat to see.

In any case, I'm glad I watched this show. And I think I just might join AnimeGAF in watching the new upcoming Fate/Stay Night when it airs.

Keep in mind some of the negative consequences of F/Z had to happen that way due to F/SN creating the backstory of certain characters you'll see there. I wouldn't credit Urobuchi so much as Nasu as the latter wrote much of what you attribute to the former.

(Re:Saber)
At the end, the Holy Grail War ended and as such Saber was sent back as she lost. She will be summoned again in F/SN. That's about all that needs to be said there.

I think it's funny that after Aldnoah Zero and Captain Erf fell flat on their faces, Argevollen just continues to chug along like the little mech anime that at least achieves competence at the most basic level. It shouldn't be an accomplishment, but considering most of the mech anime I've watched in the past year it is sadly an accomplishment :/

Aldnoah Zero 12

Nope. Fuck this. Can't fool me with your garbage again. You're trying too hard now.

I wish Terror and Aldnoah would stop fighting each other for most the disappointing/stupid award so hard.

Sword Art Online II 12

So he's mad Kirito-kun never wanted to know his dumb edgelord name? I bet it was just as good as Death Gun.

Captain Earth 25 END

Man fuck this stupid ass show and it's stupid ass shit.

ONII-SAMA the Animation 25 END

There were dumb mechs with chainsaws and Onii-sama literally got a Batman suit so it was good enough for me.
Apparently right at the end of this series they decided to say screw it and change magic from tech strings into just summoning plagues and familiars, so it's just magic now.
Bad show will not watch S2 nope not me

sonicmj1

Aldnoah/Zero didn't fall flat on its face. It achieved exactly what it set out to do from the moment the show began. They could have done a better job getting to that point, but the ending was a perfect execution on their intentions.

Jarmel

Banned
Oh man people are having meltdowns all over the internet about Aldnoah. Goddamn those tears. I can taste them.

Aldnoah/Zero didn't fall flat on its face. It achieved exactly what it set out to do from the moment the show began. They could have done a better job getting to that point, but the ending was a perfect execution on their intentions.

Pretty much. This was very clearly planned in advance and it got the emotions it wanted.

I think it's funny that after Aldnoah Zero and Captain Erf fell flat on their faces, Argevollen just continues to chug along like the little mech anime that at least achieves competence at the most basic level. It shouldn't be an accomplishment, but considering most of the mech anime I've watched in the past year it is sadly an accomplishment :/

Tomino is mecha anime's last hope!

Aria the Animation Series Impressions
Aria is a cat who is the president of a company that employs water goddesses on a dystopian planet flooded by the sea. Cities are in tatters and buildings are crumbling as the sea envelopes what remains of human civilization. What the foolish humans do not realize is that it was this cat's master plan to consume their cities in the flood and extort them for all the money they're worth to ferry them around the city. With the control of human transportation in the dilapidated city, this weird cat thing has become the ruling body. With his new found power he has taken to the simple pleasures of eating ice cream and pizza.
Okay, enough silliness. Aria is anime about girls who work as gondoliers (also known as Undines) to provide boat rides to tourists in Neo-Venice. This is a slice-of-life anime with a science fiction setting on a colonized Mars. This is the first slice-of-life anime I have seen that didn't involve school girls in Japan. The ambient sounds of the sea and call of the gulls as the boats drift silently against the city river ways makes for a peaceful viewing experience. The city has an old European ascetic from the architecture of the buildings. There is very little technology for a science fiction anime but that just lends to the charm of the ambience.

All of the characters have names that start with A. (Aria, Akari, Aika, Alice, Alicia, Akira, Athena). There are three younger journeyman undines and three senior undines that are considered the best of the business. All of the characters have unique personalities and are all very likeable. Akari is the protagonist and main character of Aria. Her voice actor is so calm and her voice so soothing. She does a great job giving a peaceful vibe and never overacts during the silly moments. Aika is the upbeat hardass that takes things a little too seriously. However, she is playful and has some great chemistry and contrast with Akari. Alice is the middle ground of the two and sometimes acts as the mediator. She is probably the most fun of the three of them and she makes some great faces.
Each episode has a self contained story that usually has the basis of training to become better undines. The story may seem simple at first but by the end of each episode there was always some type of message being conveyed which had me philosophizing after I finished each episode. This is what elevates Aria above the other slice-of-life anime I have seen. Sure the premise may appear to be "cute girls doing cute things" but there is far more depth to this anime than what can be seen from the surface.

However it is not without some missteps. There was the silly episode about the cat thing Aria where he ran around town doing silly things which felt out of place and unneeded. There was also some time traveling nonsense that was supposed to lay the foundation for nostalgia and longing but I felt it could be done in some other way that would make sense within the context of the world. Some episodes can get overbearingly sappy (No sappy lines allowed!) but it never detracted from the overall experience and happens very rarely.
The animation for this anime was fantastic. The characters' outfits aren't loud screaming scifi but have a basic design that lends to the overall tone of the setting and tranquil vibe. We get to see beautiful vistas and great city architecture with the water flowing peacefully through the city. The weather had a real impact on the tone of each episode and was beautiful to look at from the setting sun, the dark oppressive clouds and the winter wonderlands.

The soundtrack uses a mixture of piano and acoustic instruments to set the tone of the anime beautifully. It was a treat to listen to and I would probably listen to it on it's own. The OP is fantastic.

Aria is probably one of the best slice-of-life anime I've seen. The characters, music, animation, everything about it was fantastic. I give it a 4/5 and would easily recommend it to others looking for a calm and tranquil experience.

Dead

well not really...yet
Captain Earth is way worse than AO.

AO was actually solid for the very beginning, and a few standout eps before spiraling into insanity and irrelevence.

Captain Earth was just boring shit from the very first frame.

Enokido and Igarashi need to never work together again. It worked with Ouran, but everything since has been a total disappointment.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yeah I haven't seen everything this year! Sorry. Working on it!

Its my personal favorite. Sorry if that bothers you or something. But not really.

You reaction is curious in the face of all of these meltdowns, to the point where I can honestly can't tell if this is earnestness or parody.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
You reaction is curious in the face of all of these meltdowns, to the point where I can honestly can't tell if this is earnestness or parody.

Its 100% earnest. I found the show incredibly entertaining from start to finish especially with the last few episodes. Some low points but some really great highlights too. I've felt that way about every show I've watched this year though. Either way its one of the shows I'm most looking forward to in 2015.

I enjoyed Aldnoah's finale as well. There was so many issues and problems I've had with it throughout the season that the "shock" was a breath of fresh air.

mankoto

Zankyou no Terror 10
I don't know how to feel about this anymore. Ever since Five came in, it felt like I've been watching a car crash in slow motion. It went from one of my most anticipated anime this season to it seemingly falling flat.

JoeFu

Banned
I'm glad this season had stuff like Sabagebu, Nozaki, and Barakobamaman. All the "serious" shows kind of disappointed me.

Makouka 24
That gasping was funny. Now Batman-niisama has his powers unlimited from his sister's love and now even more powerful. Shit is about to go down

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aria the Animation Series Impressions

Aria is probably one of the best slice-of-life anime I've seen. The characters, music, animation, everything about it was fantastic. I give it a 4/5 and would easily recommend it to others looking for a calm and tranquil experience.
Probably unconditionally it's my favourite anime. You know, speaking of Aria-sachou, one of my biggest anime regrets is getting into anime too late to miss the merchandising train. I wish I could buy an Aria-sachou plush. :(

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Aldnoah 12

Slaine was a useless piece of shit again.

Poor Duckroll.

Zankyou! Fuck You! A Terrorist has arrived! 10

I was so hyped when I found out that Watanabe was making a new series, but now that I saw it I can't help but feel so disappointed in its poor execution. When the plot isn't going into stupid directions its being bogged down with boring procedural shit. At least it looks pretty.

Quasar

I'm too busy rewatching good western shows and playing games to watch bad anime. Aldnoah Zero and Terror in Tokyo were just huge disappointments.

I'm still watching no western narrative TV (I tried new nu Who, but it seems I'm still a bit bored with Who - even with a new older Doctor, and I tried Outlander, The Strain and Dominion and none kept my attention for more than an episode). Though I guess with the new season starting I'll be back watching arrow and I'll sample a few of the new shows like Gotham and Flash (I did like the Pilot after all).

Meanwhile I still watched I think a dozen shows this anime season, plus some things on my backlog.

Probably unconditionally it's my favourite anime. You know, speaking of Aria-sachou, one of my biggest anime regrets is getting into anime too late to miss the merchandising train. I wish I could buy an Aria-sachou plush. :(

Why not use Aria-sachou as your avatar? You have to pick one, you can't be avatarless forever!

I'm still watching no western narrative TV (I tried new nu Who, but it seems I'm still a bit bored with Who - even with a new older Doctor). Though I guess with the new season starting I'll be back watching arrow and I'll sample a few of the new shows like Gotham and Flash (I did like the Pilot after all).

Meanwhile I still watched I think a dozen shows this anime season, plus some things on my backlog.

I watch specific shows each season. Waiting for Sons of Anarchy new season to end, then catch up with Justified, Archer, finish the last two season of the Wire, and rewatching 30 Rock. I guess I gotta catch up with Parks and Rec as well, but the season wasn't doing it for me for some reason even with Chris Pratt being back.

Also recently watched the last tv season of community, it was fantastic.

Guys is the comedy in Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun good?

I need something to cheer me up.

Extremely good, hilarious too (for anime). One of the three good shows this season for me, alongside Space Dandy and Barakamon.

Pooya

Duckroll liked it too, or is darkside his alt?

Pretty much everybody who watches it still and posted tonight here likes it, that's why they're still watching it but might not want to admit, despite all the OH MY FAKE RAAAGE.

Its second half was genuinely entertaining after the so so opening. It's pure summer blockbuster entertainment infused with a good bit of mind fuck, nothing is wrong with that. Not everything is supposed to be smart or deep, it does what it aims at much better than average and overall I could say in some aspects it's quite ambitious even.

When you look at episodes separately it might look poor, characters are whatever, plot points happen because why not, but now that we got half of the full picture it makes a whole lot more sense. I feel viewers who will watch this after it is completed will enjoy it a lot more and the numerous, easy to point flaws won't stick out as much to them as it did now to us.

All in all, there is no way this show is as bad as garbage like SAO or Mahouka or Guilty Crown or similar. It's well worth checking out.

fertygo

I feel last eps of Aldnoah is actually the first time the show reach of its potential, pacing that moving swift and smooth; great boss trumping fight and lol twist just fantastically entertaining episode, the whole of latter half need more like this.
Captain Earth is way worse than AO.

AO was actually solid for the very beginning, and a few standout eps before spiraling into insanity and irrelevence.

Captain Earth was just boring shit from the very first frame.

Enokido and Igarashi need to never work together again. It worked with Ouran, but everything since has been a total disappointment.
Amen. I can't remember any standout episode from Captain Earth at all.. at least AO had eps 1,2 and 12.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Pretty much everybody who watches it still and posted tonight here likes it, that's why they're still watching it but might not want to admit, despite all the OH MY FAKE RAAAGE.

Not sure if the rage is fake; also people who watch after a certain point keep watching because they have invested that much, a little more would presumably not hurt.

Ryuuroden

That is insane, I had not even thought of that. Argevollen is better than Aldnoah Zero and Captain Barf. My mind can't wrap around it, yet it's true. That just sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom