• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only watched 2 episodes, but Gamers is surprisingly watchable. It should be terrible in concept, but the execution is top notch so far.

Qurupeke

Made In Abyss 6
znCzC8Q.jpg
Question 1: What is Ougi doing in this anime?
Question 2: Is Marulk a girl or not?

Ozen should be a design I'd really like on paper, but she's just too creepy. The tone of her voice, her mannerisms, even her haircut. And she doesn't have tact, telling a child that her journey is meaningless and her mother died, that's brutal.
I still like her.

Linkark07

Banned
Name me an anime with a higher density of misunderstandings! Gamers is a true masterpiece.

Though I watch it only for the Tendou bullying.

Desu desu.

When Amano tried to fix the misunderstanding with Aguri when he talked with Chiaki... I was dumbfounded. This anime is stupid but in a superb way.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Made in Abyss Episode 6:

I really have seen way more of naked Riko ever wanted to which is any amount at all and the humor styling just do not mesh with the aura of tension they are trying to portray here.

Made in Abyss - 06

NVJ49LA.jpg
GIcIQlc.jpg

Text in left image refers to people spending time in the abyss.
thinking-face_1f914.png

That creature sure looks like a humanoid torso.

On the one hand, I enjoyed the episode, on the other hand, the pacing is really slow and the progress we've made at the half point of this show is sobering.

Oh and that cliffhanger felt a bit weird, given that I've no idea what that thing is about. It's important, figures, but if I don't know why it's not particularly exciting.

Kyuur

I'm not really sure I get complaints about Made in Abyss's pacing. It isn't blistering by any means but I don't get the sense that they've really wasted any time -- most of it is spent developing the world and characters. I'm in no hurry for them to hit plot points because most of my enjoyment for the show comes from the world they're developing and not the plot itself (which is fairly standard). I don't really expect them to resolve anything by the time the show is over tbh (the manga is still ongoing iirc).

I'm not really sure I get complaints about Made in Abyss's pacing. It isn't blistering by any means but I don't get the sense that they've really wasted any time -- most of it is spent developing the world and characters. I'm in no hurry for them to hit plot points because most of my enjoyment for the show comes from the world they're developing and not the plot itself (which is fairly standard). I don't really expect them to resolve anything by the time the show is over tbh (the manga is still ongoing iirc).

I think the complaints are coming from the place of wanting to see the anime resolve the whole story, or at least a lot of it, by the time it finishes. I can understand that desire. Personally I'm happy with a slower pace, though, as long as the atmosphere is strong enough to justify that. I'd much rather than that the adaptations we sometimes see that try to compress a bunch of manga material into a short timeframe. That kind of adaptation may have a complete story in terms of reaching a conclusive ending, but they also end up feeling on such fast-forward all the time that no event is able to have any real impact.

It's just that I may as well better ignore that sort of mystery series if I only get a short anime appetizer and that's that. I can dive into the manga, which won't be finished either, or wait and hope for further seasons, which might take some years.

It's just that I may as well better ignore that sort of mystery series if I only get a short anime appetizer and that's that. I can dive into the manga, which won't be finished either, or wait and hope for further seasons, which might take some years.

What I find engaging about Made in Abyss is more the experience of being in the world it presents than looking for the answer to what's at the bottom of the abyss and similar questions. That's why I'm not as bothered as you are by the unlikelihood of reaching anything approaching answers during these 13 episodes.

blurr

Tsurezure Children 06

Tsurezure Children is actually a compilation of better love stories than Your Name. /s

This is ironically a show I wish was standard length than half length but it's just that good.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
AnoHana will condition you to cry whenever you hear a certain song.

So I hear this is the type of series that will make you cry. Is that true?

It depends on the type of person you are and if you like shows that are like it. I had a tear or two roll down my face by the end.

That's...quite definitive. Lol.

Plastic Memories is probably better under that category.

Hmmm... Looking back... I had a lump in my through throughout the later half of Anohana, whereas Plastic Memories started to hit me a lot in the last three episodes. It's hard to compare. Plastic Memories I probably got more emotional about and Anohana I was more evenly emotional throughout.

Nah. Your Lie in April or the KyoAni Key animes though ;P

This man has got taste. Your Lie in April and Key anime are the best at it and making it feel earned.

AnoHana will condition you to cry whenever you hear a certain song.

When you see the flower you saw that day, you will shit bricks.

LMAO

You don't accept other opinions but you destroy them. After all you know that you are right so why do other people trying so hard to be wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom