• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

It's that time of year again where I ask what was decent this year and so i can pretend to watch it before january for aoty voting but instead forget to and die of anime in before voting ends. Not a lot looks to grab me next season so hoping to play catch up.

Also if there was any shitty fantasy shows I didn't notice, hit me up.

Hmm. You hate almost everything I watch, so......

Winter Season:
- Scum's Wish
- Tales of Zestiria (fantasy + awesome!)
- Interviews with Monster Girls

Spring Season:
- Eromanga Sensei (just so you can have that * trash stamp that we all got from the experience)
- Grimoire of Zero
- Sukasuka
- Tsuki ga Kirei (this is really good, but it is a slow drama/romance show, so...)
- Saekano S2
- Clockwork Planet (the show is not very good, but it is pretty damned fun and entertaining)

Summer Season:
- Made in Abyss
- Tsurezure Children
- Gamers!
- Aho Girl
- Love and Lies (probably just my own tastes here, since I think I'm the only one left watching it, but it is pretty good stuff)
- New Game S2
- Isekai Smartphone Jesus (just for the spectacle of it all..)
-

Line_HTX

I remember people saying Tsuki ga Kirei was underrated and had a good payoff. I'll get to that at some point, can't go wrong with Nao Toyama.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 73

Koharu's hair was dumb when she was younger. I knew idols obviously have a lot of pull on their brands, but Yume changing Berry Parfait's name to reference herself over a whim is a step beyond what I thought she could do. Really going all out on the new dance though, and she finally has her wings. That just leaves Rei and Ako, who is still without her own brand last I checked.

- Love and Lies (probably just my own tastes here, since I think I'm the only one left watching it, but it is pretty good stuff)
I'm watching this, too. The first act was intriguing and it really hit its stride in the second, but this last act has been floundering hard, mostly because it feels like it isn't willing to commit to the difficult subject matter raised earlier and feels like its morphing into a more standard shoujo. Maybe the ending will suprise me, but it's been so heavy-handed of late I'll be shocked if it doesn't play out exactly how I'm expecting it to. It's still been among the better shows this season, though.

Symphogear AXZ 11

latest

Evangelion-Lanza-Longinus.jpg

Cornbread78

I remember people saying Tsuki ga Kirei was underrated and had a good payoff. I'll get to that at some point, can't go wrong with Nao Toyama.

It's really well done as a whole. The music, art and pacing is really good and they treat the characters realistically without having to drag the show through extreme forced drama....

I'm watching this, too. The first act was intriguing and it really hit its stride in the second, but this last act has been floundering hard, mostly because it feels like it isn't willing to commit to the difficult subject matter raised earlier and feels like its morphing into a more standard shoujo. Maybe the ending will suprise me, but it's been so heavy-handed of late I'll be shocked if it doesn't play out exactly how I'm expecting it to. It's still been among the better shows this season, though.

I'm in complete agreement here, the episodes surrounding the overnight stay were engaging and interesting stuff, but the past couple episodes have just been focused on the weird love triangle between the three. I mean, it's still interesting stuff, but how are they going to re-implement the whole wrong notice thing and in what context. Plus, they had the dude give him a kiss and he really likes the MC as well, so it has that harem effect on top of everything. I mean, they sort of insinuate that Misaki was matched up with him, but the show hasn't said anything about her being matched with anyone as of yet.... Some strong loose strings with all the characters that they don't have enough time to fully tie up without rushing through the final two episodes.

Also, does anyone know anything about the below manga? Is it any good? It sounds like it could be very interesting, but I'm not interested in a full series of yuri baiting and/or boredom....

Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou
“Girls' Last Tour, The End Girl Trip”

Civilization is dead, but Chito and Yuuri are still alive. So they hop aboard their beloved Kettenkrad motorbike and aimlessly wander the ruins of the world they once knew. Day after hopeless day, they look for their next meal and fuel for their ride. But as long as the two are together, even an existence as bleak as theirs has a ray or two of sunshine in it, whether they're sucking down their fill of soup or hunting for machine parts to tinker with. For two girls in a world full of nothing, the experiences and feelings the two share give them something to live for...

Yohane

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'll consult with my monster girl shadow advisor.
They don't even count as monster girls.

Worth looking at Aho Girl. One of the stronger comedies for this year. If you really want crappy fantasy shows the Danmachi is right there but it's pretty bad. I guess there's Grimoire of Zero too, which is just as bad if not worse.

blurr

I was a bit turned off by the violence in Aho Girl but suprising to see so much praise for it. Maybe I'll watch but less than keen at the moment considering how many others I need to watch/catch up on.

zulux21

I guess Funi will be the next to go Blu-ray only.

aniplex would make more sense for that.

funimation has had a pretty good production set up and that no doubt got better with sony buying them out.

all blu ray players play dvds, and plenty of people still buy dvds. I would imagine their S.A.V.E. line would remain releasing on dvd for cheaper for a long time.

I mean dvds are still quite a bit cheaper to produce than blu rays.

blurr

New Game S2 10

I'm glad they're touching on Game Design now, there's so much I could relate with Hajime as someone who started off a few years ago. Her experience dealing with how design can be deceptive in theory versus in play along with the pressure to articulate this to programmers in time is scarily accurate.

zulux21

actually if you don't mind dvd releases some of the recent sentai stuff is on a nice sale right now since they put almost all the DVDs 70% off.

food wars is $24
Ushio and Tora is $30
Gate is $24
Monster Girls is $18
SCHOOL-LIVE! is $18.

I am sure there are others I am missing.

Kickz

Damn Wonder Woman is a great movie,

Patty Jenkins needs to direct Justice League/Star Wars/Avengers Infinity Wars simultaneously

phaze

Kuzu no Honkai is one omission that springs to my mind at the moment.

+ Already mentioned Tsurezure / Aho Girl. Also, I'm not quite sure what's your stance on Shaft or Nisio so your mileage may vary but Beheading Cycle: The Blue Savant and the Master of Nonsense aka Kubikiri Cycle: Aoiro Savant to Zaregoto Tsukai aka just Zaregoto is to my mind one of the stronger positions so far this year. (Jury still out cause last ep not out.)

Made in Abyss 11

I dunno, there just something that doesn't click for me. I don't really even have some big complaints, it's a very competently made show, even more than that really and quite unique one to boot, with a setting that is a breath of fresh air, creative creature design and loads of care deployed into depicting both of those but I just... don't really find the two leads or their quest interesting or engaging enough to captivate me. Riko in particular is just this useless, naive and actively stupid character that I don't mesh well with at all.

Kaiji - 1

Started watching this with a friend.

Pretty interesting set-up. I imagine the mind games that are probably gonna be featured in this show are gonna be insane.

Cornbread78

I was a bit turned off by the violence in Aho Girl but suprising to see so much praise for it. Maybe I'll watch but less than keen at the moment considering how many others I need to watch/catch up on.

I think people are OK with it, since it is purely comedic in nature.

actually if you don't mind dvd releases some of the recent sentai stuff is on a nice sale right now since they put almost all the DVDs 70% off.

food wars is $24
Ushio and Tora is $30
Gate is $24
Monster Girls is $18
SCHOOL-LIVE! is $18.

I am sure there are others I am missing.

Food Wars would be good if we knew s2 and s3 would be on dvd, otherwise I wouldnt want the mix of dvd and bd for a series.

I don't feel like Riko is stupid, I just feel that she is very naive to everything going on around her compared the Reg. She has a sort of bumbling professor quality about her: she is aware of the dangers around her on a scientific level but is rather ignorant on how to deal with them and lacks any real sort of way to actually defend herself.

I'm fine with this because as Ozen has pretty much stated the only reason Riko has gotten this far is thanks to Reg whose biggest strike against him is that he is indecisive.

Riko is what, 10? If White Whistles are the equivalent of Witchers in this universe who are supposed to handle the monsters and have the knowledge, Riko is a Poor Fucking Infantry.

She jumped into that hole that shows up at the end of Dragon's Dogma. Bad shit in there

zulux21

Food Wars would be good if we knew s2 and s3 would be on dvd, otherwise I wouldnt want the mix of dvd and bd for a series.

they said in their press release that any show that already has a season 1 on dvd will still get DVD releases in the future.

beyond that any show they pick up that doesn't have an HD version will also continue to get dvd releases beyond their phase out point.

daveo42

Banned
I'd add that Riko is also drawn to the abyss due to the info revealed to her by Ozen. My guess is that she didn't have that much of a choice in going to begin with. She's naive and under-prepared for anything below level 1, but she's been called by her mother and the deepest parts of the abyss. She's just lucky Reg is around at all.

For me, I think the mystery around Lyza, Reg, and wanting to more about the world these characters exist in is way more interesting. I can empathize with Riko's cause, but it's not what makes me excited for the show every week.

Isekai Restaraunt Finale

Well, didn't feel like an ending really. It felt like just another episode... I mean, it's fine, but I hope there's more? If there's not, that's fine I guess. It was a very chill series and it gave me good feels. I could probably watch 64 episodes of people eating food and being happy tbh.

Gonna assume it's not the end though, too much unresolved. Season 2 pls happen after this upcoming season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom