• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Genius Party Intro-
rcPzqfh.jpg
A little strange but okay. I guess it's a good way of warming up the audience and telling them that yes this will be trippy as all fuck.

Shanghai Dragon-
In which a child becomes a superhero that battles AI robots from the future. Way too long and pretty boring despite the insane premise. Kawamori really is crazy.

Deathtic 4-
Pretty straightforward story but I loved how distinctive the artstyle was. It reminds me of something I might see in one of my old childhood reading books. The setting also reminded me of Hells, in which the characters are already dead and this takes place in a sort of afterlife.

Doorbell-
Really boring both visually and narratively. I didn't even bother taking any screencaps due to how mundane it was artistically. A person had complete freedom and this was the best they could come up with. They should be ashamed.

Limit Cycle-
Holy shit. This is the most insane thing I've seen in a long time. Turns out Kawamori isn't the craziest of the bunch. If you ever want to watch something where you're staring at a screen full of dialogue and not understand what the fuck is going on, well have I got a short for you! This might be the most incomprehensible thing I have ever seen in my entire life. It lasted twenty minutes. 2 0 minutes. Someone wrote up the monologue if you want to see what true madness looks like.

Just the fuck?

Jarmel

Banned
I separated these two as I thought they were particularly special and deserved extra attention.

Happy Machine-
I didn't know Masaaki Yuasa had a short in here and surprise surprise, turns out it's really damn good. It's like a better version of Catsoup with more emotions behind it such as loneliness and sacrifice for others. Great use of colors and distinctive designs. It follows a child that wanders a somewhat desolate earth and the weird companions he picks up along the way. There's minimal dialogue but you can understand the story and emotions without a single word being said. Unlike some of the other shorts that seemed to have gotten lost up someone's ass, this had a very tight narrative and clear theme. Outstanding.

Baby Blue-
At this point I kind of know Shinichirō Watanabe is pretty good. However over the years of watching Terror in Resonance and Kids on the Slope, I've forgotten how good he actually is. This was the most traditional production of the bunch, exhibiting no crazy artstyles or premise. While the character animation wasn't particularly notable, the background art was absolutely gorgeous. It really shocked me how nice some of the shots looked. You can tell Yusuke Takeda (Ancient Magus Bride, Eccentric Family) put special emphasis and work into the clouds. All this short is about is simply a boy and a girl spending the day with each other in a reckless fashion.
Speaking earlier about Terror in Resonance, the short felt like an extended version of one of the best scenes from that show. It has that similar carefree attitude in its presentation and results in something that feels charming and unique. When I watched it initially, I didn't know who did the music, only that it sounded nice. Turns out it was Kanno again, which probably added a lot to the atmosphere. One of the criticisms I saw of the short was that it felt like too much of a Shinkai work, which I understand, but it has its own tempo and approach to the concept that it feels distinctive enough.

Jarmel

Banned
[Genius Party Beyond] Gala-
Didn't like this one despite Maeda directing it. It takes way too long to get going. Music during the climax was fantastic though.

Wanwa' the Doggy-
This was directed by Shinya Ohira and despite the gorgeous animation, I wasn't really feeling this until near the end. The segment where the mother shows up is visually stunning and highlights the emotions in the scene. After that sequence, I totally thought the mother was going to be dead but they swerved out of that. It's still too long though for the premise and is meandering in the middle.

Toujin Kit-
The most interesting thing about this one was the art settings and some of the sub-character designs (the henchmen). The concept itself is interesting but too many things come across as unfinished or unexplained, making the work come across as something closer to a pilot.

Moondrive-
This was directed by Kazuto Nakazawa (Samurai Champloo character designer and upcoming B: The Beginning) and felt pretty Imaishi in tone. It reminds me of Dead Leaves a lot surprisingly. It has that same sort of humor, especially towards women, and artstyle. Unlike Dead Leaves though, I really liked this. The artstyle is fantastic and there's ton of stylized animation in the frames. It's a basic story but the style is delivered in spades and elevates it.

Dimension Bomb-
Oh boy. I spent two hours looking up explanations for this online and it seems like people can't generally make heads or tails of this other than it being an acid trip. My guess, strong emphasis on guess, is that the kid riding the bicycle has his life flash right before his eyes as he falls and so envisions his early childhood where he hanged out with this girl who eventually starts to hate him. This is surreal in a lot of parts and it's hard to piece together. Some of the sequences I can't begin to explain. It does look pretty though and has some great sakuga cuts. I'll admit this was too deep for me but I somehow still ended up liking it. This was the only short I ended up watching twice despite the absurd runtime.

This one feels like the showpiece of the entire project despite it not being my favorite.

Symphogear 11

I recently watched the entirety of the series. Wasn't feeling AXZ until this episode, where it made me go "Ah. There's the classic Symphogear bullshit I know and love."

Chase17

Gintama 74
Pretty good zombie spoof.

Gintama 75
It's not a recap episode, it's a Gintama Special.

The cast talking over the recap portions were funny, as was the Benizakura arc movie trailer.

Best part of the episode was hands down Prince Hata dubbing over the Takasugi lines though.

Fate/Apocrypha - 12

I'm not too savvy on the history of the Fate series, but did I miss some important reference in this episode? I feel kinda lost...

I'm guessing that the priest (Ruler?) of Red, Shirou, is Shirou Kamiya from the Fate/Stay series? He kinda looks like Archer Shirou. But then he says his name is something else, and Darnic knows immediately who he is? There's a flashback scene in the beginning where it shows the two exchanging a sideways glance...

Also, what was the Jeanne-Shirou conversation all about?

Is it supposed to be evident what's happening? Because I'm not quite following. Can someone break it down for this dummy? Thanks :)

Fate/Apocrypha - 12

I'm not too savvy on the history of the Fate series, but did I miss some important reference in this episode? I feel kinda lost...

I'm guessing that the priest (Ruler?) of Red, Shirou, is Shirou Kamiya from the Fate/Stay series? He kinda looks like Archer Shirou. But then he says his name is something else, and Darnic knows immediately who he is? There's a flashback scene in the beginning where it shows the two exchanging a sideways glance...

Also, what was the Jeanne-Shirou conversation all about?

Is it supposed to be evident what's happening? Because I'm not quite following. Can someone break it down for this dummy? Thanks :)
They are similar in appaerance but fundamentally different people. Think the Saberface girls, how they all look alike but are most certainly not the same people. Remember this is a completely different universe.

Red Ruler is an actual legendary person, Amakusa Shirou Tokisada. I can understand how someone would be confused by all this Fate stuff doesn't explain itself well sometimes or at all.

They are similar in appaerance but fundamentally different people. Think the Saberface girls, how they all look alike but are most certainly not the same people. Remember this is a completely different universe.

Red Ruler is an actual legendary person, Amakusa Shirou Tokisada. I can understand how someone would be confused by all this Fate stuff doesn't explain itself well sometimes or at all.

Ah, okay. Is it supposed to be clear from the flashback what Shirou's backstory is? Apparently, he was a servant to an Einzbern girl, who died? How does he know Darnic? I guess they fought before in a previous war? What is the significance of Shirou's interaction with Jeanne? It seemed like a big revelation, but I didn't quite grasp the entirety of it.

jonjonaug

Ah, okay. Is it supposed to be clear from the flashback what Shirou's backstory is? Apparently, he was a servant to an Einzbern girl, who died? How does he know Darnic? I guess they fought before in a previous war? What is the significance of Shirou's interaction with Jeanne? It seemed like a big revelation, but I didn't quite grasp the entirety of it.

From what I could gather...

Yes, he was the Servant the Einzberns summoned in the Third War. In the "main" timeline they summoned someone else, which indirectly led to a bunch of bad stuff that happened in Fate/Zero and F/SN.

He knows Darnic because they were both in the Third War.

Amakusa and Jeane are both of the Ruler class, and Servants summoned into the Ruler class aren't supposed to have any personal desire for the Grail but Amakusa clearly wants it for some reason. They're also both famous Catholics, with Jeanne being an official saint and Amakusa being an unofficial one.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
Tsuredure Children - End

I think it's end(?). Anyway, apart from the student council president, it was super cute and funny all the way to the end. I'm going to play favorites and say the Chiaki/Kana couple was my favorite. If the anime gods truly are great then this will have a second season.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I see you're a man of culture.
Good to see fellow man of culture

No black tights, SMH.

It was a tough decision, but i really need to put Jabami in that list

Not with that tag.
I'll let you know that one day nickleback will be referred as rock legend and Everyone will envy my tag

shit, i really should've said i like minky momo in that guilty pleasure thread

Princess Principal 11

So, now the real ange pretend to be 'Ange' who pretendes to be princess.
I think that Zelda know that the princess is really princess, that's why she didn't ask any question... ag least,that's the impression i got

And boy,this plot development is clearly jn preparation for movie or 2nd season because no way they're going to make satisfying conclusion. I personally want more of this anime, so i guess that's fine...

blurr

Tsuredure Children 09

Little of note.

For a show with such simplistic design and pleasant color scheme, I wish it got more creative with the way it presented itself/casual moments. Something you don't really feel the need to unless there's little going on in the episode.

Well, that last act sure turned a great premise into a waste of time. It sucks when the end of the penultimate act lays down the conflict to come in a fairly clear cut fashion, only for the last act to not follow up on any of that promise and reduce itself to "who will he choose?" WHEN YOU ALREADY MADE IT PERFECTLY CLEAR WHO HE WAS GOING TO CHOOSE AT THE END OF THE PREVIOUS ACT! Ugh, it's such a shame that the fascinating world-building and genuinely interesting drama of the earlier parts of the show result in this non-ending where no consequences for anyone's lies throughout the show so much as rear their head, much less actually change the status quo between the core cast. Even if this is one of those "go read the manga" endings, I can't imagine anyone being inspired to do that after this hilariously awful final act. Guess I'll chalk this up next to SukaSuka as potential for the Most Disappointing show of the year.

Aho-Girl, Completed - This show reveled in its stupidity and I loved it all the more for it . The final episode ended up being the origin story of how Yoshiko and A-kun first met and goes to lengths to explain why A-kun is the way he is. The humor in this series can get surprisingly dark at times and I think this last episode perfectly illustrated it. Not every segment was a home run but I'm glad I watched this series. The more limited budget was definitely a downside since animation could get stilted, so the visual comedy never manages to get anywhere close to Konosuba or Nichijou-tier, but this was still a good time. 7/10.

Tsuredure Children, Completed - Man, I'm sad this only got approved for 12 episodes because I really want more. This final episode ended up focusing on my two favorite couples in the series so it was fairly good, but the various cameos from the other characters in the manga makes me realize how much more this adaptation could've been had they been approved for more episodes. This series was still really enjoyable with really likable characters. I've actually started reading the manga because of how much I was enjoying it. 8/10

NISA won't care until it affects their bottom line, which doesn't happen because you get a chorus of people saying "it's just fine" and "it's better than the machine translation scanlations I read."

Its somewhat hard to argue when we would have never gotten the game to begin with a decade ago or would have had to wait far longer but still. If it takes this long (and I understand games like Persona 5 and V3 have multiple books worth of text and missable text) then stuff like the "Kamoshida was a scum" in the first 20~ hours of P5 should be caught.

Remember when SMT IV Apocalypse came out and there was untranslated text during the final boss encounter because no one found it since it required you to be losing

lol

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
New Game Season 2, Episode 11:

I get the feeling that this series of events would have gone down differently in real life what with a screw up of such a proportion.

Ascheroth

NISA won't care until it affects their bottom line, which doesn't happen because you get a chorus of people saying "it's just fine" and "it's better than the machine translation scanlations I read."
Don't forget the "I want to have a literal translation of the japanese text, so feed me the lines straight from the dictionary" crowd.
Those people are probably happy that they translated the already english "Crevice of the Archeozoic Era" into "Archeozoic Big Hole".
Also Nier Automata is clearly AOTY over P5 and V3. Its also GOTY.
It's my GOTY runner up.
I debated long and hard with myself, but as it stands Trails in the Sky the 3rd has a slight edge.

Ascheroth

Monster Strike S2 -08

Eh, been enjoying this less than the first season. The extreme focus on Mana is getting kind of tiring. As is the love triangle.
The artstyle-shift to CG characters was pretty jarring too. Kind of getting used to it now, but the first season looks better :/

But there was a Pandam this episode.

phaze

I don't feel like Riko is stupid,

"Riko wait till I wake up and don't move from this spot"

<Riko moves from the spot>, <Riko endangers herself and reg against 3 or more monsters>,<Forgets she has exploding axe among her equipment>.

Aho Girl 12

This shit is more disturbing than all of Abyss put together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom