• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Carnival '92 RECCA |OT| Now on 3DS for 1% of its market price!

fushi

jtsiCH1iIxb3R.png
drohne, another MIA Gaffer I remember from times past.

This game is amazing! I had no idea the NES was capable of such feats. Spent a couple of hours on it last night; very addicting and tough as nails. I made it to level 2 but not much farther than that. Absolutely worth the entry fee, and then some.

Teknoman

Either the hitbox is really small or some bullets dont kill in screen corners. Get to boss 1 and hide in the bottom corners during bullet showers.

Also i wonder if we could ever see a worldwide carnival 2k whatever shooter? Make it digital and accessible for a limited score competition.

Eusis

Oh, should've responded earlier:
Hmm, is it? I haven't heard anything about that. The Wii U's NES emulator is better, but the games do tend to look sharper on 3DS, I find.
To be honest I had just made an assumption that it'd hit Wii U before this hit, or at least be simultaneous. Given the NES VC is on Wii U I kind of expect it may come there anyway, but with Nintendo's release schedules who the fuck knows when that may be.

Went ahead and grabbed it anyway on 3DS. It's stupefying how smooth this game runs with that much crap going on.
Either the hitbox is really small or some bullets dont kill in screen corners. Get to boss 1 and hide in the bottom corners during bullet showers.

Also i wonder if we could ever see a worldwide carnival 2k whatever shooter? Make it digital and accessible for a limited score competition.
Hitbox can be really small (one pixel?) in bullet hell shooters, given this seems to be their 8-bit ancestor I kind of expect similar holds here, not that you could reasonably avoid some of those bullets period with a larger hitbox.

When you aren't firing your weapon, the charging ball in front of your ship acts as a shield against some projectiles. It seems as though you're protected against some (but not all?) side attacks as well. Makes the first boss extremely easy to beat.

Teknoman

When you aren't firing your weapon, the charging ball in front of your ship acts as a shield against some projectiles. It seems as though you're protected against some (but not all?) side attacks as well. Makes the first boss extremely easy to beat.

Yeah, seems that some projectiles are destructable.

I just realized the options shoot with A as well.

zroid

Banned
The year is 2302 AD.

The galaxy had been unified by the humans, and the Galaxy Federation was about to form an alliance with the Republics of Andromeda. Then the Republics were suddenly attacked by tens of thousands of spaceships believed to be from the Toron nebula. After 30 days of constant battle, the Andromeda Allied Fleet was annihilated. The first reinforcements the Galaxy Federation sent were defeated in a mere two days. Now the mysterious spaceships have invaded our galaxy. The Galaxy Federation Army has tried in vain to hold its ground. The enemy ships are getting closer to Earth. The army has lost 1,200 fleets, and casualties have reached 3,200,000. The enemy's firepower has far exceeded that of the humans...until now. Recca, a lone fighter jet with the newest technology, is about to take off to carry out the ultimate mission for the survival of humankind.

zroid

Banned
I don't play shmups very much, but I'm getting this for the weird factor, and to support VC imports on the 3DS.

That's why I bought it. I don't mind scrolling shooters, but I generally prefer twin-stick shooters. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to buy a Famicom shmup under most circumstances, but this one's definitely something a little bit special. Worth supporting.

duckroll

Yeah, seems that some projectiles are destructable.

I just realized the options shoot with A as well.

Missiles can be shot down but cannot be blocked by the bomb shield. Bullets cannot be shot down but are eaten by the bomb shield. Lasers have to be avoided.

@MUWANdo

Banned

Hudson made a caravan shooter for WiiWare called Star Soldier R, and they even had online tournaments for a little while.

The newest Dodonpachi game for X360 has online tournament features, also, including team tournaments, but I haven't tried them out so I have no idea how they work.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely will grab this once I beat Kokuga.

meppi

So glad this game made it to the Virtual Console.
When the VC was first announces I was hoping for lots and lots of import games to be finally released over here, and to some degree we did get some real classics.

But then again, the only reason for publishers to get the game on there is for them to at least make their money back.
So I'm really hoping this will do well so we might get more goodies like it in the future.
Just think of how we probably wouldn't have gotten Sin & Punishment 2 if the N64 version sold nothing on VC when it was released.

So I have no problem, just like with that game to double dip. ;)

And as someone else already mentioned, we did get a special Star Soldier Carnival game for WiiWare which was pretty damn good as well. :)

whats up with the name?
how is there a relation between space ships and summer carnival?

The Summer Carnival part came from the yearly festival tour that Hudson Soft started in 1985 by taking Star Force on the road and making people compete for high scores. They called it the Summer Caravan.

Later on Naxat Soft started organising their own events called Summer Carnival in 1991.

Yes Boss!

And as someone else already mentioned, we did get a special Star Soldier Carnival game for WiiWare which was pretty damn good as well. :)

That game was so much fun! Chasing scores with my brother and then also posting scores online via code to see where you fell.

As for Recca, I intend to put it on every 3DS that I own or will own. I do something similarly with Paper Airplane Chase (my favorite portable game ever) and put it on all my machines.

I'm not really a big fan of playing shooters on the DS/3DS but I can't wait to try out Recca on the 2DS.

meppi

That game was so much fun! Chasing scores with my brother and then also posting scores online via code to see where you fell.

As for Recca, I intend to put it on every 3DS that I own or will own. I do something similarly with Paper Airplane Chase (my favorite portable game ever) and put it on all my machines.

I'm not really a big fan of playing shooters on the DS/3DS but I can't wait to try out Recca on the 2DS.

It sure was. I remember playing it days at a time with my newly bought NeoGeo Wii stick! :) Had a nice little competition going here as well for a short time.

Right now I only have one 3DS since I sold my old one for cheap to a friend when I got my XL, but I'm planning to buy a Japanese one in the near future so I can play my copy of Umihara. And I'm certainly gonna be buying a lot on the eshop when I do. Recca will without a doubt be one of my first purchases again.
Funny fact, I also have Paper Airplane Chase on nearly all my DSes. Think I have it 4 or 5 times now. :D

I'd rather play all of these games on my Wii U as well since I can use a stick on there, but I'll take what I can get. ;)

zroid

Banned
Ohhh Paper Airplane Chase is the one taken from the first WarioWare, right? Oh man, that was super addicting. I should boot up the ambassador version of WW and have another go at it.

meppi

Ohhh Paper Airplane Chase is the one taken from the first WarioWare, right? Oh man, that was super addicting. I should boot up the ambassador version of WW and have another go at it.

Yes it is. So simple, yet so addictive.

I can still be bought on the 3DS as well under the DSiWare stuff.
Should only cost 1 or 2 $\€ as well.

Teknoman

Hudson made a caravan shooter for WiiWare called Star Soldier R, and they even had online tournaments for a little while.

The newest Dodonpachi game for X360 has online tournament features, also, including team tournaments, but I haven't tried them out so I have no idea how they work.

Must have missed the tournaments. Was addicted to high scores for awhile though.

Top Bottom